An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to motivate a drug-addict to face the challenges of healing and recovery?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by EditorsRHumansToo!, May 28, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Ever since I've participated and involved myself in this community, I have grown to love and understand the value of life and each person I come across with-- online, in the streets and at home.

I have learned to research and study everything (almost) I need to know and understand about substance abuse and the psychological and physiological aspects. Honestly, I do come to grips with not understanding at all! And that leads me to frustration-- to tears about why do our loved ones--our friends, choose the bad things, the bad path that harm themselves and hurt loved ones?

Sigh...

So, how do you motivate? How do you encourage? Why do you even willingly "bother"? What have been your resolves since you came to the community on site?
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

Let them learn from live examples. Ask them to compare life before and after addiction. You should love to them so they may realise how they are going wrong. Pray for them and ask them to join you for prayers.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Ahh, this is a tough one. For me, getting through things wasn't about people necessarily "motivating" me as such -- I think honestly I would have found that restrictive and pushy at the time. The thing that worked best for me was just knowing people were there for me. But then again, different things work for different people. Tough love works wonders for some people, but will have others rebelling, and relapsing further. It's such an individual approach that I really don't think there's a one size fits all answer.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

Motivating someone can be a hard task, but if you are more than willing and you believe in that person, then you will succeed no matter how long or how hard it will be. Firstly, you must show that person that you want a change to him because you are concern, don't just tell them that. Show the positive aspects of life, because one possible reason for a person to be an addict is life problems. In the end, it is up to the addicted person if he wants change to his life.
    Corzhens likes this.
  5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Yes, it is a hard task to motivate an addict to change for the better. Even if it is the addict's choice on to change or not to change, the family and close friends have the influence. And if that influence is used in an effective manner then I guess the addict will have the determination to quit his bad habit and face a new life.
  6. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Remind him all the troubles and issues that he go throught everyday of being an addicted and start to make him meet some poeple that did it. This might help to let him think a bit about changing for the better.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I believe we may be able to motivate an addicted friend or loved one by telling them how their addiction makes us feel. We can explain the repercussions of their addiction and how it is affecting everyone connected to them. Also, we can try and explain to them how a change would improve their life. That said, it still all comes down to whether or not the addict wants to make a change.
  8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

It just came to my mind the story of my relative in the province. My cousin was a suspected addict so his parents were in a quandary on what to do. They just couldn't think of a way to wean their son away from drugs. The grandfather entered the scene and offered to send his grandson to school in Bagiuo City. Well, that place has a cool climate and the atmosphere and panorama is like another country in Europe so it is big deal to go on vacation in Baguio City much more study there.

My cousin accepted the challenge and went to Baguio. There, that ploy worked.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Motivation, a very strong and powerful word. How can we really motivate others to change? One way is by listening first, listen with all your heart and with the silence of your mind. Listen with no prejudice, no requirements, no pressure. In this manner we begin to understand what our addicted loved ones, family members, or friends are going through. We have to feel what they feel within our hearts so we may be able to tell them and motivate them to change for the better.

Every day, as I read different stories of pain, struggle, failures and success through this forum I also become more motivated to listen and write my heart out. I learn from every one's experience here and it makes me grow more as a person. Coming here and being able to share with you guys has never disappointed me. That is how powerful a motivator this forum is. It's for all the people who are looking for a place to run to and people to understand them. Let's keep on motivating each other! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I just always try to be as helpful as I can be. I don't sugarcoat everything, I actually sometimes tend to be painfully honest. But I would counter it with positivity and optimism. I always tell them there is no hopeless case as long as we keep trying.