An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to prevent children from using drugs?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Kids are curious... that's in their nature and that's not going to change anytime soon and they also like to sometimes act like rebels, and that often means trying drugs, which often leads to addiction. How can we stop kids from trying out drugs in the first place?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

All we can really do is educate them on the dangers and let them know that they can always talk things through if something is bothering them. I wouldn't suggest the "drugs are bad..." approach, instead kids should be taught about the different types of drugs available, their effects and dangers and what they can do if they are offered or if they feel tempted.
  3. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

take them to NA meetings, take them to the local police station to see if the cops can talk to them... show them the before/after pics of the meth addicts online-- some look like they aged 40 yrs in must a few years. Take them to hospitals to visit AIDS patients who got it from needles... take them to the morgue.

Kids are going to do what they want to do. They are going to rebel. But i think knowing your child really helps. I never had any intention of doing drugs/drinking, but my sister did it all her life. I truly believe the personalities are formed very early and parental interaction makes a huge difference.
  4. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Awareness is key here. And don't tell them not to do it because they will only do it. People tend to do the opposite all the time, especially when they are kids. Moreover, it is important to just shower them with love and attention so they don't find drugs interesting.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Can you really prevent them from using drugs? I hardly think so. All I believe you can do is teach them what you can but the rest is up to them. I believe I have read that you should never tell them NOT TO USE drugs. The curious mind never wants to hear that. Some simple tips are below.

http://www.wikihow.com/Teach-Your-Child-to-Avoid-Drugs
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Being a good example to children can be a good way to prevent them from abusing drugs or other substances.
  7. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I honestly think some kids are just going to do drugs anyway if they get in with the wrong crowd of friends. Of course, making sure they're aware of the dangers and being a good example yourself is crucial, but as a parent you just have to hope they pick good friends and stay out of trouble. The more you lecture and push them to not do drugs, the more they will want to rebel and do so.
  8. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I always approach it the way my family did it to me, and stress the dangers of substance usage - telling them stories of people I've known, people I've lost along the way. It's rough stories to hear as kids, but the world is a fairly cruel place, and I think that knowing the dangers of substance usage was definitely what has kept me from them.
  9. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I think that the best way to try to prevent a kid from doing drugs is making sure that there's a good and honest line of communication between the two of you. Make it known to the kid that if there's ever something they want to talk about, they can talk to you about it. Tell them how dangerous drugs are and tell them that they shouldn't partake in them, but the minute you forbid them from doing drugs is when they're going to want to do them the most.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think parents or guardians have big roles on this. Kids as normal curious should be guided well and not be exposed on those bad vices and wrong doings. It is a great thing if kids have good role models at home and they are openly communicating so that parents will be aware of what are the real happenings in their kids lives whether at home and outside.
  11. Coltodor

Coltodor Member

Actually talking to them about it instead of putting it under the rug. You can also use the Internet to get some information and pictures. There are also books in the library that you can check out for them.
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Kids are a lot more educated about such things these days than I was when I was younger. Such things were not talked about. It should be much easier to have a discussion these days, since it's not "taboo" to bring it up. They talk about it in school all the time. I think every parent needs to address the issue at home as well. I think open communication about substance abuse as well as everything else, helps kids a lot. If they know you're open to discussion, perhaps they'll talk with you first, instead of just "experimenting."
  13. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Expose him to anything that discourages using drugs. The reason why kids started exploring things are because they thought it looks cool and that's how I started smoking in high school as well. I think right now the media is doing a pretty good job in showing that drugs users don't look cool. The media needs to do better on alcohol or tobacco but I think the media is on the right track regarding the drugs.

Another thing that you can do is to watch his friends. I am not saying to do it in a way that invades his privacy but at least do it in the way that you know that he is safe.
  14. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

There are always those signs on the streets that say “do sports, not drugs.” These are very effective especially for the youth because their attention and focus can be placed in these productive activities that would not only benefit them physically but also keep them away from drugs. Knowing kids, some are difficult to discipline and I suggest scaring them about the effects of these substances will be effective to keep them away from it.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The best way to prevent anything is to be honest with your child and tell them everything. Let them know the danger of using, and how to handle the pressure of using it. the truth will set you free. INstead of letting them find the answers on their own, they should be going to a trusted source. That would be you, the parent.
  16. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Being involved and aware of your children's lives is step one. Don't just assume that because you have a "good" kid that they are always doing good. Know who your kids friends are. Be an open door to them. Let them know if they have anything they need to talk about or questions you should be their first stop. Don't judge their curiosity, but redirect their energy if you see them choosing a wrong path. Be there. REALLY be there for them. A child needs your time and attention most of all.
  17. lritchie89

lritchie89 Member

It is so important that parents build a strong relationship with their kids and talk to them about substance abuse, the earlier the better! A few ways you can build a positive relationship with your kids and start talking to them about drugs are:

Establish and maintain good communication with your children

The better you know your children, the easier it will be to guide them towards positive activities and friendships

Get involved in your children’s lives

Young people are less likely to get involved with drugs when caring adults are a part of their life.

Make clear rules and enforce them consistently

Be a positive role model

Children imitate adults.
    • Demonstrate ways to solve problems, have fun, and manage stress without using alcohol or drugs.
    • Point out examples of irresponsible behavior, such as ones you see in movies or hear in music.
    • Remember that you set the example. Avoid contradictions between your words and your actions. Use alcohol in moderation, don’t smoke cigarettes, and never use drugs.
    Talk to your children about drugs
    • Short discussions go a long way. Engage your children in a conversation. Ask what they know, how they feel, and what they think about the issue.
    • Talk to your children one-on-one and together.
    • Educate yourself about alcohol, tobacco, and drug use before talking to your children. You will lose credibility if you don’t have your facts right.
    • Set some time aside for you and your child to act out scenarios in which one person tries to pressure another to drink alcohol, smoke, or use a drug. Figure out two or three ways to handle each situation and talk about which works best.
    Rainman likes this.
  18. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

My parents never smoked. They used to tell me that smoking wasn't practical at all and doing it doesn't make sense since your health would deteriorate while burning a hole in your pocket. The same notion applies to drugs as well. You should make your kids aware that doing drugs has no long-term benefits for them and taking them would inadvertently lead to their downfall. If they are smart enough, they will listen to your words.
  19. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've known kids who were raised by parents who didn't use any drugs but peer pressure dragged them into experimenting and they ended up getting addicted to the drugs. Since it's the friends your kids make that may get them into drugs if you don't use them from an early age you need to get the kids to trust you more than they trust anyone else. That IMO would give you the advantage when their friends start asking them to try out some substance.
  20. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I think its very easy to fall into these things. Kids want to be cool, make friends and be popular. The thing is one try turns into another then another and then another. The best way to in my opinion is for parents to be parents and not dictators. They need to to an extent be friendly. They need good communication, string enforced rules, be involved and above all be a positive role model. I think talking about drugs also goes a long long way.