An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to prevent children from using drugs?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 19, 2015.

1. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

I do
    I don't think there is really a formula that we can do or apply so kids won't even try to take drugs. Children/teens start using or trying drugs for many reasons. There's curiosity on how it feels or what it's like. The desire to fit in a group, peer pressure while some start using as a way of coping with problems (anxiety, depression, anger).

One thing that we can do is being a good role model for them. Older family members can serve as model for the younger ones with regards to alcohol and drug use. They can influence the children if the children sees that they themselves, the parents are not using drugs or drinking responsibly, if not at all. We can talk to the kids about drugs and alcohol as for me, it is better for them to hear it out from me than from his peers who may not know better.
  2. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't think we can stop our children from trying drugs. All we can do is help educate them so that they are aware of what's out there and what kind of impact it could have on them. I think by not teaching our children it just makes them more curious and more inclined to want to try them.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

As you said below, children are very curious and I don’t think that there is a magical way to let them know that they should not try drugs, but I think the best thing that parents can do is inform their children about all the damages and consequences that drugs can cause to someone, and let them know that they can always trust in you.
  4. harold

harold Community Champion

Many people adapt their lives to the teachings they received as children. Training a child in a particular way often works. We need to educate children on the dangers of drugs so that they should not end up as addicts in future. At times, many people believe that children are too small to be taught certain lessons; which is the wrong mentality. As curious as children are to touch, test and try things, they are also curious to learn. The best way would be to educate them on the dangers of drugs.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

We must make sure that we completely keep them away from drugs. If parents do take drugs, then they should do it away from their children. We should restrict them from playing with addicts. We must not send our kids to buy drugs for us.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Teach them about the drugs. Show them the harms in it. Let them make their own decisions in the process. I think that if you hold too much of a forbidden fruit stigma over drugs, then they will want to try them. That's why you just need to educate them.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. MNyte

MNyte Member

Inform the child about peer pressure, and whatever else leads to the use of drugs. Make it clear that using drugs will lead nowhere good - show them examples, stories, etc. Do what religion does: install fear in to the child at a young age, except install the fear of drugs, not the fear of death.