An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How To Quit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by webdangol223, Mar 8, 2015.

1. webdangol223

webdangol223 Member

How To Quit Smoking Completely?

I have been smoking for 15 yrs and I want to leave it completely.I left everything but I couldnot leave it.
    Help Or Give Idea.o_Oo_O
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Have you tried e-cigarettes? My attempts at quitting would always fail within a month until I bought an e-cig. I haven't smoked a regular cigarette this year at all. I do understand though, that this doesn't do anything to address the nicotine addiction - it just provides a healthier alternative.

I know there are a few people on this forum who have managed to quit cold turkey and I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise on that. Best of luck!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Wanting to quit smoking after 15 years is the best. Vaping is a solution, but if you are really serious about it you'll find a way. Nothing is done without effort though. ;)
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am not a smoker myself so I cannot speak from experience but I see you have some suggestions here already, which I hope will prove useful. Just by reading the experiences of others I am sure you will gain further insight on things to do to hep you quit smoking. The important thing is to START as the article below will show.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/addiction/how-to-quit-smoking.htm
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Quitting to smoke is not that easy. You have to mentally and physically prepare yourself as you will go through the difficult phase of withdrawal symptoms, but if you're willing and determined to walk through the path towards recovery, I'm sure you'll overcome this. Good luck!
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

The best way to do it would be to start cutting down. Try being more disciplined in counting how much you smoke per day and try to limit it. If you are able to lessen your intake by one stick at a time then eventually you'd be comfortable with smoking just a few a day or even none at all.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I want to help you but the question is: how much are you willing to sacrifice in order to succeed? Many people will extend their help to you but all our efforts may be for naught if you're not willing or motivated enough to quit. Just to facilitate your quitting journey, you may want to assess your own readiness by answering these questions:
    • Will you dare to throw away all your cigarettes?
    • Do you want to explore other forms of treatment to help you recover faster?
    • Are you receptive to constructive criticisms?
    • On a scale of 1 to 10, how motivated are you?
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

There are many things to help you quit smoking, ti is just a case of fining what works best for you. I smoked for ten years and have tried more methods than I care to admit. First and foremost, you must be ready to quit smoking. Without being ready to quit your mind will not be in the right frame to quit and it will make it a lot harder.

I know when I quit smoking, I tried patches, but these in my opinion did nothing for me, they only made me itch where I had put it on and sometimes even felt like it was burning! I quit smoking in the end with the help of an E-Cigarette. I have the liquid type because it is much cheaper to run compared to the cartridge types you can buy.

There are literally hundreds of flavors available, but I found that a liquid named "Toonz" works the best. It is a cherry menthol liquid that gives you a really good hit on the back of your throat at a low nicotine level, similar to a real cigarette The E-Cigarette itself can be very cheap to buy if you look in the right places but there are also some that can cost you upwards of a hundred pounds!!

I would suggest giving it a try because they work really well. I feel much better for quitting and you will too.
    The best of luck to you!
  9. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I don't know if my advice would reach you but I'll share it anyway. From my own experience, bad habits are broken through decoy. You see, whenever you feel like smoking, do something else that would take your mind off it; for example, playing a video game can be very effective because you easily get immersed by its addictive nature and forget all your worries and primal cravings. This is just off the top of my head, and there are practically hundreds of activities you can focus your energy into instead. Use your imagination, be creative.
  10. Gelsemium

I still think that we really have to want to quit because it requires an effort, it's not something that happens casually. So, we need to be occupied as well to get it off our heads.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would say that you should start slow and start with something like Nicorette or start vaping, then slowly cut yourself away from those things until you eventually give it up completely. If that does not work, look for mentoring online with someone else who has had trouble with smoking.
  12. Gelsemium

Slowly quitting can work and in fact worked for me the first time I quit, but not the second time, so it really depends on the situation.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think you should just start to lessen your cigarette intake bit by bit, since I know most people have a hard time quitting cold turkey. Then try to completely stop and just eat when you want to smoke. At least even if you gain weight, you have avoided your harmful vice.
  14. Gelsemium

The issue with that is that our brain adapts to our attempts, so I see as more effective to just stop smoking and build on day after day.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

You must learn to motivate yourself. Know that this will affect your future life. Lung cancer kills which is as a result of smoking. Smoking causes throat cancer which also kills.it is better you stop smoking now. If you have a listening family then ask for advice.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There are many aids out there to help you quit smoking, I think for a lot of people they will have to try a few before they actually find one that helps.

People need different ways and reasons to quit, what works for one person won't always work for another.
  17. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

My uncle quit pretty easily using something called an electric cigarrete he said its pretty cheap.

But if that doesn't work, you can try to slowly ween yourself off the habit. Cutting down more and more by making the time between smokes longer and longer.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The saddest part is that most smokers who claim to be ready to quit aren't even willing to throw away all their cigarettes. I saw it happen with a person who is very close to me, he said he'd quit after new year, but first he'd finish all his packs. Hah... well, he did it, then went to the store to buy more. So sad, but some people are willing to pay for cancer in their lungs. I keep telling him that, but I guess he doesn't believe that will ever happen to him.

He is just not ready to quit, it's odd, he has said many times he wants to quit, but his actions show something different. Nicotine addiction is so hard to get rid of. No idea what to do anymore.
    xTinx likes this.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Although it's been two weeks that I said I didn't believe vaping was any good, I see many, many cases of people managing to find their way through their complete cease of smoking quite easily through this method, but I still think that you should first try to give it up all at once, if you don't succeed do it gradually, then your last resort should be vaping.
  20. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, at the time you quit, you must be convinced you want to quit. You shouldn't feel bad about it because you don't lose anything, in fact you win a lot. Just take a day when you feel ready, smoke your last cigarette and think what do you like it so much about it, after the last smoke, just throw the pack away along with the thought that you will ever smoke again. After that you have to never put a cigarette in your mouth again. The easiest part is to quit, the harder one is to not start again after a week, a month, a year...