An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to see the light in sobriety

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by deewanna, Jan 21, 2016.

1. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Everyone keeps talking about how to start recovering form addiction, how to get over your cravings, how to take your mind off your addiction, how to keep yourself distracted e.t.c.
    All these are easier said than done. If we keep focusing on our recovery just because we know it's the right thing to do, then the possibility of a relapse is high. Why not focus on the excitement in being sober. Now most recovering addict will tell you that being sober is boring.
    Is it not?
    If you disagree, what is the excitement in sobriety and how can we see it?
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

So true, way more easier said than done... For me it was a struggle and not exactly the excitement of being sober, but more the motivation to leave a nightmare life behind.
  3. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Because the excitement goes away. The same thing applies to discipline. What addicted people need is will and discipline. It's so easy to get triggered and blow away all your effort in a matter of minute, but what is really hard is to stay on track when the triggers appear. There is no excitement in that, perhaps only after the cravings go away.
    gracer likes this.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I agree with @111kg. Sobriety is indeed not as exciting as being addicted because life gets smoother and lighter once one reaches the sober life. There are no more temporary escapes but a better understanding of reality. There are no more false elation but permanent happiness of being at peace with oneself. Life of sobriety is not very exciting but the excitement is not what matters, it's the feeling of ease and comfort with oneself and The people around him/her that matters most.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Sobriety is the light.
    Thing is that addiction clouds are ability to see it.
  6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Well, I think that this is a really personal and relative question, every single person has their motivations to stay sober, and it could be from health to financial situations, and I think that this reason is what keeps them motivated and ready to get through all the difficulties that an individual could face while they're on a recovery process... So it really depends on the person.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that there are things that are easier said than done.
    It is a great way to be motivated in being excited or aware of the benefits one can get from being sober. Maybe one way is to give importance on the little things like if you feel better or can taste your food better, that is one good results of being sober already.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was the realization that drinking all the time wasn't fun - the fun was just a facade. It was ultimately a way of masking for me a lot of insecurities and fear - and I didn't want to live like that anymore.

I think sometimes people think drugs or drinking are fun ways to pass time. They're not. You know what is fun? Not waking up feeling like crap and searching for your next drink, not planning your entire schedule around when you can drink, not making a fool of yourself repeatedly and wondering who you had offended the night before, and drinking more so you wouldn't even care - that's not a way to live!
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As for me, sobriety is happiness. I haven't fully given up on alcohol yet, but I have now became more of a social drinker. And although there's a lot of booze around me, I already know how to control myself. And yes, I absolutely love being sober because I could focus more on other important things, and be really productive.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Sobriety has lots of benefits and thinking about them can motivate a recovering addict to keep fighting so they don't get tempted to start using drugs again. There's the freedom, the time you get back which you can spend with your family and have some fun together and more. Unfortunately though those who fail to find happiness will inevitably relapse.
  11. oportosanto

That's right, when we have something to fight for we can face addiction, but if we don't we are more likely to let go. That is why family or someone who loves us is so important in this case.
  12. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think the excitement in being sober is the ability to enjoy events and activities and life itself without alcohol. When you are able to do that, you would feel better and liberated. You will feel confident that you don't need alcohol to enjoy anything at all. And that, I think, is the excitement in being sober. That feeling of contentment and happiness even without the alcohol in your body.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well the prospect of being clean and respected by the community not to mention being employed again are one of the reasons being sober is exciting, don't you think? It's like a brand new and improved life ahead of you, so who wouldn't want that, right?
  14. oportosanto

Interesting when you say being respected by the community. In fact, interesting how people can worry about that or not, but for me the biggest motivation was to get a life again.