An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to sober up fast?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by overhellbaitre2, May 30, 2015.

1. I just drank 2 glasses of wine after not eating anything all day, and im feeling drunk. I ate some food afterwards(chicken and potatoes) but im still feeling drunk. hardly able to even type this. how can I sober up quickly?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I know a trick that worked for me every time when I was starting to get tipsy and needed to sober up quickly. As strange as this might sound, I used to look at myself in a mirror and tell myself over and over that I am sober. I did that for about 15-20 minutes, until I had no doubt anymore about my sobriety. And even though the alcohol was still affecting my body, it's effect on my mind was considerably weakened, and by all means, I was sober again.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Technically, time is the only thing that will sober you up completely. Either that or vomiting, but that’s not very pleasant and you’ll probably still have alcohol in your bloodstream.

There were a few things that made me feel more sober though, even if I wasn’t. Usually it was physical stimulation, like turning on a massage chair or brushing my teeth with an electric toothbrush. Drink water, too, just to be sure you aren’t dehydrated.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Get some rest, you should be fine if you take a quick nap. 2 glasses of wine shouldn't be too bad, although it's really bad to drink before you eat anything.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Well you can't force your body to burn off the alcohol. You just need to assist it and give it what it needs to burn it off. Alcohol depletes the body of water and sugar. So drink a lot of water and some sugar. Go eat a full meal. Take some pain relievers, and get some rest.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Two glasses of wine will not take that long to get through your system, comparatively speaking, so you really just need to wait it out and drink some water. I find that just relaxing and watching a movie helps me to get it out of my system, or at least not think about it until the movie is over. I assume that you did not mean to get as tipsy as you got?
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree about having a full meal - I found that in the past that was the best thing for me, although it was quite dependent on what I felt like I could stomach if I was in that queasy-feeling state. I think most of the time for me, heavier things worked such as a burger, bacon sandwich or things like that (for some reason the grease always made me feel better and like the effects of the alcohol were wearing off). Apart from that though, hydrating with as much water as you can, and just resting also worked for me. Short of that, only time is going to work. Hopefully you start to feel better soon.
  8. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I assume that you've learned from this experience... and the next time you feel like a glass of wine or two, break out the cheese and crackers first while asking yourself the question, "Is this the wise thing to do?"

And you didn't say how old you are... are you legal?The traditional remedy is strong black coffee, but I read recently that a study showed that it didn't do much to counteract the effect of the alcohol.

Apparently only time really reverses the physiological effects of "drunk."
  9. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Yeah, unfortunately, the vomiting won't actually sober you up. All it does is prevent any more alcohol from joining the bloodstream, which will prevent you from getting even drunker....but not eliminate what has already hit your system.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There's no one-size-fits-all method for sobering up fast. My personal experience is to drink lots of water - alkaline water to be exact. Before, when I was on the verge of getting so drunk, my friends gave me coffee but I ended up vomiting some more. It didn't bring me back to my senses. During our next drinking sessions, I brought a large bottle of alkaline water with me. I drank around 6 bottles of beer but I just felt a little groggy, which faded with every drink of the water. It dilutes the alcohol in your system. And yes, you eat a proper meal after that.
  11. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Time is the only thing that will help, but after only two glasses of wine you're Blood Alcohol Level certainly isn't over the legal limit, which is .08%. Have a little something to eat, that will help you feel a little better. Coffee will only make you a 'wide awake' drinker!
    Your body will metabolize, or use up, the alcohol in two hours and you'll be OK.

When your folks get home just act 'normal', work on homework and be busy. Don't breathe in their faces!
  12. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It's a myth that eating after you drink helps at all you have to have eaten something before you drink for the alcohol to have a lesser affect on you.

I would suggest drinking lots of water and resting. That will sober you up the fastest. They say it takes one hour for your liver to process each drink you have had.
  13. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

This is an easy question all you can do is drink plenty of water afterwards and before going to bed. The hangover you feel afterward is your body's way of saying "don't do it again"
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Drink a lot of water then take a rest for a few hours, probably a short nap would do you good.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

One must eat before taking wine or beer. The idea is, we usually want to get drunk, that is why many drink before eating. They think that after eating, they will need more wine to get drunk.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That's a really good point. My father was an avid alcohol drinker and usually he would eat after drinking, not the opposite. I don't understand why he was doing that since he also had problems (hernia) and he was just throwing up after.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't think there is a quick way that you can sober up quickly. You just need to let the alcohol clear from your system naturally, so you must call in sick to give your body time to heal and rest.
  18. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Time. It's true. However some things that helped me were:
    Warm (not hot!) shower, stretching or yoga, eating a greasy meal, drinking some caffiene.
    Drinking water always made things worse for me, until the next day when I needed to rehydrate.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Time.
    Time is the only proven way to sober up. Your body needs time to process that alcohol out of your blood stream.
    Many things may make you feel sober, but will have zero impact on your BAC.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  20. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Another thing that always made me feel more sober when I was maybe just past tipsy was crying. It doesn’t actually sober you up, but I’d always lose the buzz… and then I’d joke that I was crying out the poison.

But I’ll reemphasize, time is the only thing that will truly sober you up. The one advantage of having only two drinks is it’ll take less time than, say, a massive binge drinking session.