An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to stop Soda Addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by biobrandedarmorzet, Jun 13, 2015.

1. I'm addicted to soda...coke specifically...any way to stop it?
    By the way, don't suggest milk. That's already my 2nd addiction.
    And I don't have a slow metabolism, so I'm only around 104 pounds. I just want to grow taller, and I know soda won't help, so I need help with quitting drinking soda too much, or overall any easy healthy diets.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

My friend was in the same boat as you. He had to just go cold turkey, avoid the soda isles at the grocery store and try not to go out to eat as much. He experienced withdrawals, but he made it through it.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I am addicted to Mt. Dew, I used to drink a 24 pk in a day. By the time I was 25 I had lost 3 inches of height and by 28 had a hairline fracture in my left hip. Soda DESTROYS your bones, your addiction to Milk could help that but probably not by much. I still haven't completly quit drinking soda's, but i cut WAY back and switched to Diet. After quitting regualr sodas (only diet) I dropped 15 lbs. in 7 days. That ought to tell you how many excess calories i was getting strictly from soda consumption. Now even though you obviously aren't worried about your weight you need to worry about your bones. You can lose weight, you can even get a new heart but you can't get new bones, those are forever and ever. You need to take care of them, and what about your teeth? Drinking soda causes your enamel to disappear over time and that's something you can never get back either. Now you asked how you can help with the addictions of soda....aren't the reasons I gave you enough? Just think about all the things you will be losing by popping open that can of Coke.

Another thing that may help you, is it the Coke you are addicted to or is it the carbonation? That was what i was hooked on, I was addicted to the bubbles, it didn't matter if it was Mt. Dew or Root Beer as long as it was cold and not flat I was good. If you find that it is the bubbles you are addicted to, fins some seltzer water to drink, or even diet soda will do better than the regular stuff.

As always WILL POWER. It works wonders
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

soda is probably one of the worst things for your body.. too much sugar an carbonation! The best thing you should do would be to maybe drink fruit juice, tea or water instead and try switching it up. I think it is also a habit thing caused by brand recognition.. when you see a Coke, it makes you want one!! I was in the same boat when i was younger and after not drinking soda for like a month i didnt like the way it tasted when i finally had a glass. It comes down to self control but you can do it if you try
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ll have to agree with eliminating it completely and replacing it with other beverages. Tea or water would be best, but if you need a flavor of some sort, pure fruit juice is an option. I was never addicted to soda, but it was something of a habit to drink one whenever I’d go out to eat, as it was the simplest choice. But when I started learning just how terrible they are for the body, I made the choice to quit. I can’t even take a sip anymore, so it can be done and you’ll be much better off for it.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

try juice and just resist soda for a while. i never liked soda in my opinion juice tastes so much better....its a lot sweeter too
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

have you ever tried vitamin water? it tastes SO good, way better than pop. (soda. hah, guessing you're not from around where i am) it has quite a bit of sugar in it so i wouldn't suggest drinking it daily. try weening yourself slowly off of the soda. i am catholic and gave up pop for lent a few years back. i hardly drink it at all anymore because the carbonation is way too strong for me. maybe if you ween yourself off and don't let yourself have any for a while, you can enjoy one once in a while.
  8. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Try drinking gatorade and other flavored drinks, they aren't GREAT for you, but its still better than pop. And they taste better
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can be hard to change the habit, as the taste may seem good for us, but the body will start to be affected by the excess of soda we drink which can change us for the worse. I reckon trying to drink healthy drinks can be good like the Just Juice or the ones which have less sugar and have fruits in them which are nice for the body and our health. It can take time to change the body and get it used to another drink, which is better for us and soda should be consumed sometimes and not all the time which can be addictive.
  10. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I too am addicted to these sodas. Mountain Dew has been my true love for most of my life. I've actually checked and it is one of the sodas with the highest sugar content and my family has a history of diabetes from my mother's side. I've slowly started reducing my soda intake a long time ago. It is pretty hard especially if I only need to walk for a minute to get a 1.5 liter bottle. But I just controlled myself. I only drink it once a week nowadays and I started drinking fruit drinks and good old H2O.
  11. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I also am addicted to coke. There are times when I go cold turkey and I will not purchase the soda but that is rare. I know I'm going to have to cut down or eliminate it completely because it's not good for me and that really is my motivation to quit.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

I do not like soda since it contains refined sugars which is not safe to our bodies. Instead of soda, I usually take fruit juice which has vitamins. You can take lime juice if you want a bitter drink. Fruit juices have no effect to our bodies.
  13. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Used to be addicted to soda a lot too but I substitutted that with flavored water and seltzer. I currently drink nestle pure life splash water drinks as they have 0 calories and 0 grams of sugar. They have some nice flavors like mandarin orange and acai graps. Raspberry also! If you want it to be a little more soda like, get some polar seltzer and drop some in of the same flavor if you can or be creative and mix up a new type of drink. Try it out and see if you like it! Its also way cheaper than coca cola too which is a win win!
  14. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Sweet tea can work miracles. I know a guy who quit drinking beer by replacing it with sweet tea
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Coca cola is one of my favorite drinks in the world and it is really hard to stop drinking it. I just quit buying it and having it around the house. When I want a Coke, I actually have to go to the store and buy one, and most of the time it is not worth the effort so I have water instead. Coke is loaded with sugar and the diet kind is not any more better for you because it contains the artificial sweeteners.
  16. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Soda is nasty, addictive stuff so you're definitely doing yourself a huge favour by quitting. Water can be too bland for a lot of people so you could maybe try adding squash/cordial or whatever it is called in the country you are from.
  17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Uh if you want to quit drinking soda you just quit. It's not crack or heroin it's carbonated sugar water. Replace it with plain old water.
  18. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Sometimes it isn't that easy. Chocolate frozen yogurt, Kroger generic brand is my go to feel good food. And, even though I'm on a diet, I can't keep my hands off of it.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe try drinking healthy fruit juices that are also sweet tasting. But do not drink excessively since anything in excess can be bad. Or try to drink more water and get busy on other things.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You're not addicted to soda per se, but you're addicted to the caffeine found in soda. In the same way, you can also be addicted to coffee. Solution: look for alternative drinks from fruit juices to vegetable juices to electrolyte-filled drinks (including Gatorade). Addiction to sodas is definitely a habit you can easily unlearn. It's all in the mind.