An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to stop Soda Addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by biobrandedarmorzet, Jun 13, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

In my experience, one day without coffee will give you a caffeine headache. But day 2, you may be groggy but that'll be the worst of it. This is just my experience, though. And I'm sure it'll be different for everyone
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I know people who drink soda from the time they get up in the morning until the time they go to bed at night and I know that it has more to do with caffeine addiction than the actual taste of the soda to begin with. I really enjoy the taste of soda, but it is way too sweet for me to drink right when I wake up. I prefer coffee, and I might have one soda drink in the afternoon, sometimes.
  3. LilAnn

Apparently, a lot of die hard coffee drinkers do that. They get up and make a pot of coffee. They keep drinking and making pots until its bed time. I already have enough issues going to sleep, no way could I do it!
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, if you have troubles quitting it then I should tell you the story of my mom's aunt. She used to drink a lot coke since she was a teen, some years later she was diagnosed with kidney damage... she needed hemodialysis to get tru her last decade of life. Not nice at all! We really think the fact she drank so much coke instead of water is what caused that. So think about that next time you try to find a good reason to quit.
  5. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I'm not addicted to soda. I love soda my favorite is coke zero it must be a lot of peoples favorite. I live in a small town, and it's hard to get. I can certainly live without it. I don't go nuts if I don't get it. I do like knowing I have them in fridge. If you feel like it's an addiction maybe you should research it, and see if you can seek some help with it.
  6. LilAnn

Do they still make Canadian Crisp? If so, would that not be a good substitute?
  7. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

I was addicted to soda as well. I still drink some during the morning to help me wake up, and some at dinner. That is typically about two cups a day, maybe two and a half if I hadn't had much else for sugar that morning. Two and a half cups at worst is down from a 2 liter bottle a day of coke, pepsi, or mountain dew.

My advice worked for me and my girlfriend, hopefully it will work for you too. Try to ween your self off of soda, replacing it will soda water or a soda that is caffeine free (such as rootbeer or sierra mist) . Then when you are on your caffeine free replacement almost if not full time, try going down to water.

I personally drink almost a gallon of water a day now, thanks to the switch.
  8. LilAnn

I can't drink plain water. If my mouth is really dry, I will if need be. It usually its Kool-ade when I'm too thirsty for tea.
  9. NicCris

NicCris Member

Soda is certainly not an ideal drink from a health standpoint -- it offers no nutritional value and can be high in sugar and caffeine, but I must admit I'm also addicted to Coke and Pepsi. Not to mention other sugar-sweetened beverages and fizzy drinks...
  10. LilAnn

I use to love the fizz. But after just a couple weeks of drinking sweet tea only, I can't stand the fizz at all anymore
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

That’s exactly why I can’t handle sodas or other carbonated drinks anymore. I guess when I was younger I was used to it because I drank them somewhat often (though not every day, maybe a couple times a week if even that). But after I stopped drinking them more or less altogether, the fizz just felt so bizarre when I tried again.
  12. LilAnn

I was an avid Mt Dew fanatic for years. It was literally all i drank. It almost feels like it burns my throat now. If I go to take a big gulp it feels horrible!!
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Try to replace it with tea or another (healthy!) drink you enjoy. There must be one, and it should help you get rid of your addiction. If it doesn't work, try to go cold turkey on it. At least that's how I dealt with my addictions.
  14. LilAnn

If you replace it with tea, I should warn you that if all you drink is tea it can kill your kidneys. I read about a guy who drank 1 1/2 gallons a day, and nothing else. He suffered kidney failure for it. I drink about a gallon a day and nothing else. So if the kidney issues happen to me, I'll let you know
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

It is just easy to stop your passion for drinking sodas. Stay away from drinking colas and other softdrinks and switch to healthy drinking like natural fresh fruit juices which gives amazing taste too. Before when I was still young I used to drink sodas too. But because I love myself and want to be healthy as I grow older I stay away from it gradually until it is gone. If there is a will there is a way....
  16. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

Soda is addictive for two reasons, as far as I can tell: caffeine and sugar. Caffeine can be kicked cold turkey pretty easily. You might be tired or have a few headaches in the meantime, but after about a week, you'll probably be fine. I used to quit caffeine periodically when I would start building up a tolerance to it.

Sugar might be easier or harder to kick, depending on how much you personally crave it.

Your best bet is to just replace soda with water. Juice is just as sugary and things like tea or coffee are going to have even more caffeine.

Just stay hydrated and teach yourself to go for water when you are thirsty. You need to break the association of quenching your thirst with sugary, caffeinated beverages.
  17. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Sodas are bad news chocked full of sugar and other nasty ingredients. Hydrate with water or fruit juices as these are natural and healthier. You would crave soda more the more you drink it.
    LilAnn likes this.
  18. LilAnn

It seems like once you get used to drinking nothing but soda, its harder for anything else to do the trick. No carbonation seems to mean no satisfaction
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

You just need to watch some of those videos online demonstrating how bad soda is, and I can fully guarantee you the cravings will be lost in an instant. Good luck!
  20. LilAnn

No kidding, those videos are terrifying. If something can remove rust it can't be that safe in your belly.