An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to Talk to a Child About Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by trex, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I had the same experience too and it's only now that I'm older that I realize that those same people at that point were just as clueless as I was, both at that point and now that I'm at the age they were at the time. It really boggles my mind how they could have seen themselves as that much superior at that time but I guess back then times were different whereas nowadays I think kids get a bit more respect that they require and deserve.
  2. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I would advice not to tell him stop drinking or don't do it. The more teenagers are told not to, the more they do it. Instead, educate him of what could be the possible effects of that path he is taking.
  3. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

This! It is very important that you don't talk to your son in a patronizing tone. He is nearly an adult, and you should certainly talk to him like he is one. Realize that since he is growing up, he is facing "growing pains" such as peer pressure, the introduction to alcohol and sex, the pressure of having to go to college, and the pressure of becoming responsible for his actions. It isn't enough to scold him for drinking, ask him why he drinks. If you don't know the cause of his drinking, it is very hard to find the solution to his drinking. Also try your best to put yourself in is shoes. Also, be honest with him. Don't go the "Don't drink or you'll die" route. Tell him how drinking can be fun, but can also have very negative consequences.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Yolanda, your story interest me. Before I offer any advice I would be curious to know what kind of relationship you have with your son.

When my son was 16 we could talk about everything with the greatest ease. He considered me his buddy. That has its up side and down side. Anyway, whatever the relationship , it's important to speak to a child with the correct tone if you are to reach them.

Someone said you should speak to the child the way you want to be spoken to. I agree. So far it's only a suspicion you have. You could very well be mistaken.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Teenage boys will drink. This is just a fact of life. I would suggest that the best way to approach it would be to initiate a conversation about safe drinking. Does the drinking consist of isolated "binge drinking" occasions or is it more of a regular thing?
  6. Rub

Rub Member

There are two choices for you. Either yoг won't do anything or you can show him who alcoholics are. They are dirty and they smell disgusting.
  7. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Be open, honest, and supportive about it. If a kid is addicted to a substance and they don't feel like they have a safe and supportive place to go for help, then they probably will never end up reaching out to anyone for help voluntarily!