An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to use pot responsibly.

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by ajzappola, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

I am curious to hear how people are using this drug (if you call it that) responsibly? Do you drive under the influence? Do you go to school under the influence? Do you socialize high or do you smoke alone? What about people with kids? Do you hide it from them, or are you a full disclosure kind of parent? What about educating yourself? Do you know everything you need to know or do you stay on top of the new relevant science and news? Do you carry any paraphernalia around with you or do you leave it all somewhere safe to avoid lawbreaking. Just how many laws are you willing to break to smoke the way you want to smoke?

I smoked a lot of weed when I was younger. I don’t now because it makes me paranoid. I would if the circumstances are right so I ask these questions without judgement. I just wonder what the average pot smoker would say. Maybe no average people are on this site but it seems like a good place to lay down the curiosities. I have a 19 year old son that is a stoner. He stays out of trouble. We have rules about being high and keeping it in our house because we have other children here. He seems to be responsible in all areas. He does not go to work high and he always gets up in time to for work and school. He is in college now as well and he gets things done. I am a sober alcoholic and I see no breach of our home code anymore (we had some tangles in the beginning but he chooses to obey now rather than face the alternative) so I do not see what the big deals is that he gets high. He does not drive yet so maybe that will bring more problems in the future.

I just wonder how responsible most people are and what lines are drawn?
  2. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I used to drive under the influence of cannabis quite a bit. After a few years into this practice, one of my good friends got into a non life threatening accident while committing the same action. After this, I stopped driving after cannabis use. As I grew older, I learned to manage my time more efficiently. Now, if I do use cannabis, I make sure I have no serious appointments with others or events. I also make sure my workload is minimal since nobody likes to be worrying while under the influence of medicinal cannabis.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I also used to drive regularly whilst under the influence of marijuana but I honestly don't think it affected me adversely in any way, shape or form, not that I condone or encourage it of course. Back then, drivers were not tested for drugs, only alcohol. These days, the police are now doing spot checks on drivers and are testing them for cannabis and cocaine. If caught, then you're going to be arrested and locked up, no questions about it. I also used to consume it daily and was under the influence most days, whatever I was doing, wherever I was. It didn't affect my functioning much and I was never really suspected of being a drug user. However, that is not using it responsibly. I think being responsible with it would be consuming it moderately in private, perhaps in the evening when you go home after work.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I smoked a lot of pot when I was in high school, but I don't remember driving while I was high or anything like that, so I want to say I was responsible. I do remember using it the first couple of years of college because I took a lot of art classes and it helped me to focus on my work.
  5. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Using pot on your own free time while alone is the only way I consider it to be responsible, although using it is not responsible in it's own case. Entering vehicles or being in public definitely are not ways to handle it correctly.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I smoked weed, I used to just have a few joints in the evening. It didn't affect my everyday life, I still held down a job and did all my family commitments, I just smoked it to relax to be honest. I guess that's about the most responsible way you can use it.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, i would like to think I've used it responsibly. Sometimes when I'm drinking on the weekend, I crave a little joint because I've always loved listening to musin on weed. so, if i can get my hands on one, i just smoke it peacefully at home. I avoid going out drunk or high. If I do, I'm pretty sure I'll regreat it the next day.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There's some great advice on the responsible use of marijuana here. The only thing I can really add is to maybe consider tobacco-free ways of using it if you tend to stick to joints.

@Rosyrain all the art students at my college smoked pot too and they created some amazing work!
  9. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

Thank you for the tips! I have a relative that does marijuana daily. I will link them this post in order to prevent them from doing marijuana. They use it too often.

I feel like you're still missing tips though