An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to Wake up and Feel good about yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by tasha, May 11, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

For many of us there are good days and bad days and some in between but most cases people are stuck in the dark and force themselves out of bed, force themselves to get dressed and even force themselves to get that cup of coffee and a breakfast.
    Some cant even do that and they get up, get dressed and rush to work to keep themselves busy but there is a time where your body will say it is enough.
    So how to wake up and feel good about yourself:
    Get a notebook or diary, this sounds silly and a lot of effort but it works. Every day carry this diary with you and write down at least one positive thing that you have seen, which means you have to look out for one positive action every day.
    When you go to sleep at night read the page and see what it is that you found positive.
    Get some good old fashioned music to listen to and the best that there is- salsa or holiday music.
    Play this as soon as you get up in the morning.
    Open your curtains and let the light in
    This is a mattra to say each day;
    I am a survivor
    I am strong
    I can achieve anything
    I have made it to here
    I can make it through the day
    I am a survivor
    and this is how I will stay
    xTinx, Sudarsan, afeenicks and 3 others like this.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

This sounds like really good advice, not silly at all. Personally I don’t journal enough in general these days, I think I’m long overdue for a good spill-session in my journal. I also have a tendency to overlook the blessings and positives in my life, so this is a habit I should definitely start. Thank you for this post.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Very motivational. I think that would definitely work effectively for me. Thank you for sharing this one to us here. :)
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That was a very motivational post and the diary idea seems really interesting.
    I may try it one day, I feel that it would make me look out to a lot of things everyday and forget about the negative feelings.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The bit about letting in the daylight, I've tested it and know for a fact that . . . it can put someone in a good mood.
    http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/benefits-sunlight
    In addition to Tasha's tips get out more. Soak up the sun and you'll feel a lot better.
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

I go to bed listing all the things I'm grateful for that day and my goal for the next day that will make me happy. It has to be a practical and reachable goal, but it gives me a purpose and a presedence for the rest of my day. When the going gets rough, some days are harder than others, but if you keep your mind focused on the good and your goal, it makes things better. I think it also helps if you can say to yourself one thing you ate greatful for when you wake up first thing in the morning.
  7. JuliaC460

JuliaC460 Member

Everytime I think of getting a diary an inner voice just tells me that it is a stupid idea or I will never use it so it's a waste of money. How do I stop listening to this little voice
  8. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

You can never go wrong with self-motivation. It is the ultimate energy booster. I've come to realize that once you start meaning what you say instead of just parroting it out loud, things will work out very well for you in the end. It's all about believing in your words.
  9. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

That's a creed to live by. So you do this everyday? Interesting.
  10. tasha

Just go out and get the book and tell yourself it is just a book of thoughts, if you feel better find one that has a lock and key or hide it somewhere where it will feel safe for you.
    It is not a stupid idea at all as you can release yourself from so many burdens by putting pen to paper for yourself.
  11. tasha

Yes you have to believe in yourself before others can believe in you.
  12. tasha

I don't do it everyday anymore as I have achieved what I have needed to and I feel great!!! My life is wonderful and happy and it has all worked out for me and that can happen to each and every one of you.
    It is true, let the sunshine in too as this is so important to make you feel good.
    Many of my patients have done this each and every day and it is not just the words that has helped them but they have helped themselves by becoming more confident in believing that they are worthy!!
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

What a nice way to start the day. :)
    I do not have any mantra, I just feel thankful everyday that I still wake up and say a simple thank you Lord for another day. Of course, looking forward too for a good day as I wake up. :D
  14. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

Just to be thankful to wake up in the morning to have another day to spend with family, and friends. We are never promised another minute in life. Life is to short to be angry all the time.
  15. afeenicks

afeenicks Member

I like your post. Sometimes we forget to love ourselves. Overwhelmed by the negative, we overlook the positive. I'm going to try and write in a journal more regularly. I listen to music a lot and it helps me to get through the day. I have tracklists for certain moods. When I'm down, certain songs lift me up. Other songs, I use to motivate myself. I will definitely take some of your advise and implement it in my day.
  16. tasha

It is a good way to start your day and make yourself feel good if nobody else can do that for you. It is also so true that you should appreciate every waking minute of life as you never know when it will be your last and being overwhelmed by the negative is never a good idea and to avoid thinking of the negative we have to reprogram ourselves to be able to forget the bad and think of only good.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I honestly believe that if you start your day on the right foot with a positive mindset, then for the most part the rest of the day tends to follow in the same manner. I've also read a bit about meditation and the idea of repeating a positive mantra, so I think perhaps I'll need to incorporate that into my day-to-day routine. I also like that gratitude journal type idea where you focus on one positive thing in every day. Despite some days seeming crummy, I guarantee that when I dig deeper there's always something positive I can draw from it. I do already keep a journal but I would like to put more focus into something like that where I write down positives from the day. That way it's also nice to revisit happy memories in the journal too.
  18. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

What I like to do is ensure I have a good night's rest. I don't use electronics an hour before bedtime.
    I do a similar mantra but It's during my nighly and my morning prayers.
    In my conversations with God I try to remind myself of His love, that He wants us all to be strong and loving souls.
  19. bruloker

bruloker Member

Я бы добавила еще утреннюю прогулку-probezhatsya лес и прислушаться к природе, пить родниковую воду, но с позитивным настроением, потому что вода - хороший заряд, лечебный источник.
  20. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

Is this a new language? I'm sorry but I didn't understand it. I think you chose the wrong font. I guess you'd better pick an English font and post it again because I think you've written something interesting pal.:)