An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How was Christmas for you?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Cheeky_Chick, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I know that Christmas is a time when people often struggle with alcohol intake, because drinking is something that is just expected at this time of the year. For me, I spent so much time with my family and close friends I was fine, because they all know about my issues, so they didn't try to force me in the slightest, which was great.

How about you? How did you cope this year? Was it better or worse than you had expected it to be?
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I did end up drinking a bit, but I didn't went overboard (my IBS wouldn't allow it anyway). I drank a bit because that is what I usually do during this time of the year, last year I did because my mother in law offered me warm chocolate with a dash of rum. That was it :p This year I had a taste of my favorite homemade liquor (made with pecans). No biggie, I actually enjoyed it and drank a little bit of it, no compulsion involved at all ;)

I'd not recommend this to an former alcoholics... I do this because I know I can control myself... mostly because my body doesn't handle alcohol very well anymore.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I had a good Christmas. I got to spend time with all the people that I love. That is what Christmas is all about. There were a few incidents with my husband but I didn't let it get to me. I just made the most of my holidays and he did what he thought he needed to do to get through the holidays.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Managed to stay dry so far, but I don't think that's going to continue come tomorrow night. As long as I'm around people who know my history, I should be OK, but I've said that before and things haven't always turned out so well...
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It was good for me. Stayed sober - my family didn't drink either, and I think we have almost built a culture of sobriety based on the fact I've recovered for so many years. I think everyone realizes that alcohol isn't a requirement for having a good time, which is lovely - and we don't miss the fact that there's no alcohol present. Good food and good company just makes us all happy!
  6. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

My Christmas is yet to come but I can connect with new years celebration. I was in a sad mood for some time. I lost or I believe I have lost a girl that I love. Maybe everything will be better and I will manage to be happy with her but I am not an actor and my mood never changes because of one day. However, I met someone who is very nice and dear. Actually I met her long time ago but we never connected in this way. I feel better when I am with her but we are just friends and it is only helping with bits an pieces. I feel weak and I drink, when I have need to say something to someone i come to forums and talk to strangers. It is sad, I know.
  7. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I spent the Christmas with my family and with my close circle of friends. It was the best Christmas of my life... as for the first time in my life it was FLAWLESS. We exchanged gifts, nobody got drunk and so on. I LOVED IT!
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I had a good Christmas and we went to the beach and enjoyed the day at the beach as there was a nice breeze flowing and also, we took our lunch with us and had some soft drinks which is refreshing to drink and did feel a bit tired after staying at the beach for half the day and made me relaxed when I got home in the afternoon. I had some beers in the afternoon and enjoyed drinking them and having my dinner roast chicken and mashed potatoes which tasted nice and suitable to eat in the afternoon and liked how it was appealing for me and my family. The day was good and enjoyed how the weather was nice so you could go outside and drive around if it had rained then it would of meant staying home which can get boring as the time can fly by when you are just sitting around.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I had so much fun this Christmas. And kudos to me, I was able to stay away from alcohol. I was sort of a heavy drinker before, but now, I have already transitioned into a social drinker. Last Christmas though, although it's a social gathering, I have not drank any alcohol. I guess I am getting better. :)
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

This Christmas was nothing that extravagant, but I enjoyed my time! I spent it at my parents' house and we exchanged a lot of gifts. I loved the feeling of warmth and love, it was amazing! New Year's was also pretty cool!
  11. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I had a wonderful Christmas! There were plenty of people around me who were having a bit of the cheer, but I settled for hot cocoa and junk food. You just have to put things into perspective and put your goals above your emotions.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I had a fantastic Christmas and New Years. Very low-key, but that's the way my family likes it. :)
  13. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Alcohol is not my particular vice (though I have resolved to severely cut back on drinking this year, and eventually abstain entirely), but after this holiday season I was especially curious to see how people deal with this time of year.

I had a lot of family gatherings and celebrations to go to this year, and at all of them alcohol featured heavily. It really wears one down after a while, continually refusing people offering to get you a drink. There's this cultural pressure to consume wine and spirits that I hadn't really noticed before, and opting out of that culture can be uncomfortable.

These experiences gave me a whole new respect for those on the path to sobriety, especially during times like these. I realize now that it's not merely an internal struggle, but there are a myriad of external pressures to deal with as well.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

My Christmas was Ok. It was low key. I just had one friend here plus my roomate. I saw my son over New Years, and will see my family of origin this weekend. It is one of the things that I look forward to doing, I find it relaxing usually to go to my home of origin, although it can be a little stressful.
  15. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

I actually had a good christmas this year, my daughter loved her gifts and she had a great christmas vacation. There is literally nothing more I could ask for from life.
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Christmas was very good around my house, but very busy as well. We attended a lot of family gatherings and I had to drive so I did not drink at all. It was a great time and we all got a lot of nice gifts. I think it was one of the best holidays I have had in a long time.
  17. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

I really miss going to visit family during Christmas, it was the only thing I ever enjoyed about the holidays as a kid. Glad yo hear you had a good one.