An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How was everyone's Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kassie1234, Dec 28, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I know that Christmas in the past had been one of the hardest times for me to deal with as a recovering alcoholic - I'm just wondering how everyone did this festive season?

I hope that you were all successful with whatever battles you were facing when it comes to addiction and recovery - hopefully good choices were made and everyone has gained some strength and motivation from that!
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I had a pretty good Christmas. He went and got cocaine a few times but as always lied but I didn't let it get to me. I just simply did my own thing. Life is much better that way.
    Jasmine2015 and kassie1234 like this.
  3. kassie1234

Proud of you for not letting it get to you! It can be hard to separate emotions from someone's actions, especially when their actions are destructive -- but I honestly think sometimes it has to be done!

Hope your New Year starts off well, too <3
    L_B likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally had a great time this Christmas season. I was able to say no to booze, smoke, and other substances. Aside from that, I have got a happy heart now because last December 25, 2015, I just said yes to a guy who's been courting me for 8 months already. :)
    Jasmine2015 and kassie1234 like this.
  5. kassie1234

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas and a special way to start the New Year! Well done on avoiding substances but still having a fun time! That's what it's all about!
  6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Sounds like you had a pretty good holiday. There was no snow for weeks and that included Christmas day. Today it has started to snow though I don't know how much it means for some people to have a " white Christmas".
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Christmas was cool, I celebrated it alone on my house but I went to my parent's house as well. I do not drink and smoke, so it's all good for me.
  8. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I really enjoyed it! It was my daughters 2nd Christmas, she's almost two. So, this year was the first year she was able to open her gifts and really enjoy them. It was a blast!!
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I spent some time with family and friends and good thing is this time round there was no alcohol though drinking the whole day had been a tradition last year and the years before it. In short this Christmas, for me, was really good.
  10. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

My Dad died on Dec. 21 we had his funeral and buried him on Dec.24th Christmas eve almost 30 years ago yet there are times it seems like yesterday…
    We have a new Granddaughter that is now over 14 months old she is a joy and unconditionally the splind pleasure of our Christmas time.
  11. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

I am glad for some people who resisted the temptation that holidays can present to them. Good job to all of you.
    My Christmas is on January 7th, so I still have to see what will happen then. Our church follows the other calendar, and my Christmas Eve is on January 6th. I am an orthodox Christian, by the way.
    I know that for my auntie this Christmas would be very tough, since on the last one she got very drunk and ever since then, she has had problems with alcohol. So, we all need to be around her for this one to help her resist the temptation.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

No problems here regarding Christmas. In the past it as been difficult but this year was a lot easier for me. I had a couple of drinks but that was it, I didn't even want any more to be honest so I'm pleased with myself on that score.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Christmas used to be the worst.
    Everyone was happy and booze was flowing and I would always go on a week longer or even longer bender.
    Once I started Christmas eve and didn't stop until the new year!
    What a waste.
    Now Christmas is great, family, friends, lots of homemade goodies!
    My nephew got this remote controlled helicopter and boy did I have fun playing with it with him.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

My Christmas was fair. I did get a lot of nice presents...but I wasn't able to see most of my family other than my ex husband...as they are far away...and my son wouldn;t come down..Maybe after Christmas this will be a possibility. I don't enjoy the holidays as in when I was younger. It used to be my favorite time of the year, maybe they will be good sometime again. I can only hope so,
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My Christmas was pretty good, I enjoyed getting some time off with my family. We exchanged gifts and had a lot of fun spending time together. We're gonna re-unite once again on New Year's Eve, should be fun! :)
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It was a pretty good one. I had no occasion of drinking alcohol because all of my friends were out of town and I stayed inside every day. I felt the Christmas spirit, though. It was better than in the past because I was finally sober.
  17. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

My Christmas was awful. We went out with friend to have some drinks. I later woke up on boxing day in a cell. You better not hear the backbone of the story...
  18. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Sorry about your Christmas. I had a great one with family that I don't see very often. We had several days of shopping and cooking and visiting other family. The children all had a great time with all the gifts. I enjoy my Christmas, I don't need substances.
  19. kassie1234

I feel like babies really do bring joy to everyone - I know with my little one, she brings both sets of grandparents so much happiness. I feel a renewed energy in them every time they get to spend time with my child!
  20. kassie1234

I hope you're doing okay, @ellyjude - it sounds like you had a tough one. If you need to talk about it, we're here.