An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How widespread is adderall usage actually?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by JohnBrock, Feb 17, 2015.

1. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

So recently it has come to my attention that adderall usage is of an all-time high, now - I've known a few people throughout my education who used it because of medical conditions (add, et cetera) but I've never come across anyone using it recreationally for study efficiency, despite most of my classmates in college frequently discussing the usage of other drugs.

Does everyone hide this usage because of the taboo effect of "cheating" in academic pursuits, or have I just got the wrongful impression that adderall usage is more wide-spread than it really is?
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

You're not getting the wrong impression; it's starting to come to the fore-front now more than ever. Also they tend to hide it because it would be a social stigma even if it's your prescribed drug because it is just that -a drug. And one that's taking over.

I know so many recreational users. I used to be one. It's at least taken over where I live anyways.
  3. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

You would be surprised if I told you how many college students actually use this drug on a daily basis. The numbers are astounding the majority of college students are hooked and drug dealers are making a lot of money if they can get their hands on this product.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

No, a majority of college students aren't using or hooked on Adderall. A large percentage of college students with Adderall prescriptions do abuse the drug to some degree, but it's an outright false statement that most students use this drug. The rates continue to increase, sure. We're not yet in the territory of millions and millions of people abusing this one, though. It's still pretty dangerous nonetheless, as are all drugs that can be abused.
  5. JohnBrock

Yeah, I had the suspicion that these figures might be off, I am use adderall and ritalin abuse exists, but nowhere near to the degree that its the kind of national epidemic that some news outlets have implied
    AFKATafcar likes this.
  6. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Well, I would still call it a national epidemic because the problem continues to grow at a somewhat rapid pace. It's just erroneous to say that it's affecting a large majority of ALL college students. However, it is affecting an alarmingly large number of college students that are CURRENTLY PRESCRIBED Adderall. Those individuals have a high risk of abusing their prescription, and that's absolutely an epidemic.
  7. Shimus

I never said they were all of the population of College students, but they definitely are increasing at a rapid rate because people look for more ways to abuse speed everyday, and this is a prescription drug. They all have abuse tolerances and people using them everywhere, and not just college kids, but it's safe to say even if they aren't prescribed a lot of today's college kids have tried them at one point or are currently on them. This is not to say the percentage is anything over 30% or even near there, but it is climbing like was mentioned and should be dealt with quicker than we have to assume people are abusing/getting addicted.
    JohnBrock likes this.
  8. JohnBrock

I think it's interesting that we're seeing abuse of a drug which increases productivity, it kind of outlines the state of affairs currently, we want to be better, harder, faster and stronger, and we're using substances to enhance and surpass the natural human boundary.
    Shimus likes this.
  9. Shimus

Exactly. We're pushing everyday. Not just drugs; protein shakes. HGH and Steroid usage. It's not just limited to abusable drugs, but rather a ride variety of substances. It's sickening how much we try to "become the image" in those magazines of perfect people.
    JohnBrock likes this.
  10. JohnBrock

Exactly, for a time in which everybody wants to be unique, it's funny how we all strive for the same extreme ideals.

It seems as if these ideals have increased in 'severity' though, 20 years ago being in shape did not mean having 18 inch biceps and 6% body fat, but we're moving towards a seriously unachievable ideal. Perhaps it's just in human nature to want to be inhuman.

Another example of this is plastic surgery, the extends to which people who get plastic surgery will go is awful.

I think there's a problem at hand there has to be tackled before it takes over the lives of many young men and women, some ideals are simple unachievable, and attempting to reach them will lead to much hardship
  11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Pretty much, even in sports, that allegedly are something healthy, there is a lot of doping involved to enhance the performance, it's crazy!
  12. Shimus

This entirely. It is. We strive to achieve something that's always out of reach because we're constantly told "The sky is the limit" and "you can be whatever you want."

This is a dangerous pandering. It can lead down a steep slope. This drug is just one of the many examples that sets you down it. For wanting to go faster, better, stronger, do more work. Improve social status. It's sickening.
  13. Gelsemium

Yep, social values make us want to do it. More, a society that creates and distributes drugs is a sick one, we are just symptoms of a bigger evil.
  14. bombshell

bombshell Member

I occasionally use Adderall when I have a super busy day and not enough energy. I use it maybe once or twice in a month or two. It helps me to stay focused and really gets me going. I am not promoting it, because I know it is a highly addicting drug, but I admit it comes in handy in my hectic life once in a while.
  15. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I used to take Aderrall to get me through long nights working at a nightclub. I was using once or twice or month for a couple of years. Luckily it never turned into a habit, but I worked with people who depended on it heavily.

My best advise to you is to tread lightly. It is a fine line between recreational use and addiction.
  16. Gelsemium

Consumption is always tricky, I am for not trying because like you say recreational can quickly lead to addiction, so we are better off clean.