An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How will marijuana affect daily life

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Nelja Lerob, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Nelja Lerob

Nelja Lerob Member

I've never done drugs before, and I've only heard stories about it. I'm not really interested in drugs, so can someone explain to me what it's going to do to my body or how I might affect other people?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Marijuana isn't going to affect your body much but it will affect your mind. In the long run, it deprives you of energy and makes you lazy. It relaxes you and calms you down but at the same time it can also cause short term memory loss, anxiety, paranoia, etc. In a worst case scenario it can also lead to psychosis or schizophrenia. Physically, the dangers are pretty much the same as smoking tobacco.
  3. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

You said you are interesting in doing "drugs". This is a terrible way to approach cannabis as it can lead to the use of other more dangerous drugs. It is known as a "gateway drug" for a reason. Regardless, the use of cannabis has varying effects on the user depending on the strain type. The high you see on TV (lazy, confused, tired) is known as indica. The very upbeat/energetic high is known as a sativa strain. There is a hybrid type in between but you need to look up each strain before purchasing to figure out what it will do to you.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

That's literally the opposite of what the OP said. You need to read that again before rushing to judge him/her.

As for marijuana, it affects most people in the same manner. Marijuana usage will lead to "good" feelings as some people describe them, and then you'll feel more calm and relaxed. Long-term marijuana usage has been shown to alter the shape of the human brain, so heavy usage on a long-term basis isn't exactly a good idea.
  5. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

If you do marijuana once, it is not going to ruin your life. However, once you become addicted, that is when it can become a problem. Marijuana is strong because it can change your mental state. It will make you feel "good." That feeling may or may not translate to an addiction. It is up to you to put limits and restraints on how much marijuana you intake. I believe that anyone is capable of curing an addiction!
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

Imagine living a life where you cannot do anything without smoking marijuana. It will force you to go and get it before doing anything, hence wasting a lot of time. Smoking affects your lungs and can result to getting cancer. Smoking marijuana also affects your judgement.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

If your below the age of 21 I would recommend avoiding it, weed can effect the developing brain. If there's a cronic illness that weed could help with and you tried every other option, it's defiantly an option. It has helped so many people, but with every drug it should be taken as needed and not recreationally.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am really just here to say I agree with everything you spoke about in your post. If all of this is accurate and it seems to be, I don't think anybody is going to be missing out on anything if they avoid marijuana.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some negative effects of marijuana which you should know:

- - If you smoke weed, you'll have to deal with short-term memory loss which could get worse if you smoke too much of the drug.

- Though marijuana typically makes you feel relaxed an happy, abuse could usher in depression. And it will be a downward spiral from there on.

- Like any other drug, marijuana will affect men's fertility.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I would also like to point out that using marijuana long-term regularly is also likely to lead to problems such as becoming overly self-conscious or paranoid. This can then lead to social anxiety and avoidance issues which can lead on to depression. You may then begin to withdraw due to the social anxiety and paranoia issues and may find yourself too self-conscious to participate in certain social situations and people will notice that you're quiet, self-conscious and that something isn't right. This can then lead on to those people targeting you or assuming that you must have some kind of mental illness (or that you're on drugs).
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Two of my best friends recently divorced because one of the started to smoke Marijuana way too much. The drug affected their life a lot: they didn't communicate anymore, they didn't have sex anymore and so on. In fact, one of them spent all its free time playing WOW and smoking pot, reason why his then wife decided to get out of that relationship. She tried to make him use Marijuana a bit rarer, but he didn't listen. He's single now.
  12. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Small amounts it won't do **** and affect you much long time, if you continue it will be make you lethargic and apatheic and not want to do anything it will sap the very life out of your body and make you a lump basically.