An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How would a world without alcohol look like?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, Jul 28, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Do you think there would be more people that are unable to cope with depression since alcohol wouldn't be an alternative for them? How would nightclubs and parties look like if people didn't feel the need to get drunk in order to be in the spotlight?
  2. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I personally believe that alcohol is a gift to man if used in moderation. Said moderation is a social norm in some countries. A little alcohol can raise the spirit and mellow out a hard day just like dopamine from exercise.

As far as depression, the lack of alcohol as a coping mechanism would...remove a major obstacle. But it would not be a complete solution. Depression is a tough thing to get a handle on. It requires counseling, wholeness, and incredible bravery to face your own psyche. Sometimes it takes years.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think the world would be a safer place because some people can't handle their consumption. I do think alcohol is a lesser evil than more hardliners drugs. If there was not alcohol in this world, people would find other ways to get high.
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Alcohol appeared in pretty much every culture pretty early on. I think that has a reason, and that alcohol in itself is not necessarily bad -- it's the use we make of it; it's the circumstances of society, the nevroses we've developed in the modern world, the way we use it to forget we are powerless. Getting alcohol out of the picture would not fix everything.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Then we could have best societies ever. No fights, accidents related to drunkenness,no loss of money resulting from drinking, no family breakups, etc.
  6. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

Because those two things only happen because of alcohol, right? People have been fighting long before alcohol was invented. As for family breakups, how about infidelity and/or abuse? I think the lack of alcohol would change nothing. Irresponsible people who drink and drive would still be irresponsible. Accidents would sure come down but I'm sure they'd find something else to waste their money on.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If alcohol didn't exist I'm sure human beings will conjure something else up to fit the needs of party goers all over the world. It could be an illegal narcotic, or just sniffing paint fumes, they will fit something to ease into the mood or atmosphere.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think perhaps it would actually make things like depression less prevalent, because people wouldn't be numbing themselves with alcohol. I feel like people would then have to take more action to deal with what was causing the depression head on rather than avoiding it.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe the parties are more into foods and fruit juices if there is alcohol. :D
    Also no drunk driving accidents and less families/relationships will be broken. More money spent on more important things too.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When alcohol was prohibited in the U.S many years ago, it created an entirely different problem. Those who'd been using it [to relax or for some other reasons] tried to find alternatives — and that's how smoking got to be a nationwide problem. I believe that even if there was no alcohol as long as other drugs exist, people will use those drugs.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

If is never existed people would have found other ways to have fun and socialize. I believe it would be a better place but that would only be if it never existed in the first place. If it were suddenly to become prohibited then it would create more problems and bigger issues. The world would become a far worse place because people who find another way to feed that addiction. They would still get it someway, somehow!
  12. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

The world would definitely be a better place, that's for sure. Most of our depression is caused because many people lack purpose in an overtly materialistic society. We live in a world that promotes rabid consumerism and people become depressed if they don't live up to the ideal promoted by the media.

I attended plenty of raves in warehouses and clubs. While drug use was high, particularly acid and ecstasy. Alcohol consumption tended to be on the low-end. Most ravers would consume smart drinks, soft drinks and energy drinks. Generally, it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience which shows that alcohol is not required for a good party.
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that alcohol in itself isn't the culprit, it's the overuse of it that makes it dangerous. Alcohol consumed or applied in moderation actually has medicinal value. Think about the old home remedy when someone suffers a severe shock and is given a shot of whiskey to calm his/her nerves. Or, if you suffer from an accident and can't receive immediate medical help, alcohol can act as a painkiller and disinfectant. Alcohol has many different uses, so I wouldn't want to get rid of it.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Probably a lot less stupid crimes, like vandalism and getting in fights for stupid reasons. That usually seems to be the reason why those crimes get committed.
  15. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I would welcome a world without alcohol, assuming that there wouldn't be any illegal alcohol like there was during Prohibition.

Also, people drinking alcohol to alleviate depression always makes me scratch my head. Alcohol is a depressant. So drinking in an attempt to feel less depressed is not going to work.
  16. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Eh, I think it would look pretty much the same. Alcohol is just one of the many mind-altering substances we have at our disposal. Alcohol gets used a lot because it's legal and less detrimental to most people's health than harder drugs. If it didn't exist, I'm sure people would lower their inhibitions in other ways, like smoking weed or whatever.
  17. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

A world without alcohol, that would be great. But in the history of our civilization, something will always come up as substitute. A world without substance abuse though would be a utopian society. From what this current world has gone through, I think that it would have a hard time adopting to that kind of society.
  18. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Why take the little life pleasures from ourselves, really? Those who abuse it, it's their problem. But we shouldn't punish those who drink alcohol moderately. Actually, I have quite of a good impression of alcohol if drank responsibly. I think it's good for our health, too.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It would be a better place. It causes many problems for people. Couples, marriages, families, and so forth. Some people are completely unaware of themselves being under mind control. Traumas and abuse make people susceptible to falling under control. Even just once or twice a week to drink up the junk in alcohol can cause a person to misbehave. Paranoid thoughts or over the top ridiculousness. Divorce and all of this is completely manufactured in this country. People get so messed up inside themselves. Loose sight of their values and morals. They wonder why they are just another statistic. Worst part is it is accepted. Between the amounts of traumas people go through, the alcohol, and the food chemicals. People are like walking zombies that think everything is ok. It's ok to get divorced, it's ok to obsess over someone who doesn't want me any more, it's ok to seek revenge, it's ok to be a pervert, it's ok to lie, it's all ok. No it's not OK... wake the bleep up. Get yourself some help. Books, new friends, real food, a new mind, something must change. Anyone who thinks that loosing site of your morals and values is ok is under complete mind control. It's about being REAL , doing things the right way with integrity. Has nothing to do with anything else. Anyone who doesn't see this should probably just figure that they must be completely brainwashed or, an alien. Lol.
    It's got nothing to do with depression. It's all just a big fat scam. Simple living is the answer. Being honest, straight forward, and REAL. If the alcohol companies were honest. There would be no chemicals in their products. This is just sick behavior and criminal.
    Nice rant. Felt good too.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

There is compelling evidence that booze has been with us for a very long time, perhaps almost all of history!

But your right, even in "dry" places crimes of these natures are still committed, albeit to a lesser degree.