An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Would You Block Out Negative Thoughts

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Usually, it's negative thoughts that make people feel miserable and many, to block the thoughts will choose to use drugs but this doesn't help because once the effect of the drug has worn off the intrusive thoughts will be back. If you continue self-soothing with drugs, your addiction problem gets worse.

The better solution therefore would be to find ways to block out the negative thoughts. There are a few who suggest thinking about something different, something nice but this doesn't work all the time.

Any suggestions?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As for me, whenever I would have negative thoughts, I would immediately counter them with having faith in God, and I always keep muttering this mantra, "Everything will be okay."
    Rainman likes this.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

We should not fear and give up when we have failed. We should learn to get back on track whenever we have failed. That is only when we can get back to thinking positively. We should also be open and tell our friends and family members about what contributes to our negative thinking since they can give us advice.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I truly think a lot of the time it's outside us being able to "fix" ourselves - I think working on strategies for dealing with negative thoughts/feelings with a professional is 100% okay. Sometimes I find my negative feelings go away when I work out, or talk with a friend about what's bothering me (sometimes outside perspective helps!) but I wouldn't hesitate getting professional help if I thought I couldn't shake those feelings alone.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think praying to God and keeping yourself busy all the time can help, because if you are preoccupied then it's less likely that you will think negative thoughts.
  6. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Usually when I have bad thoughts I think of ways to make those into.good thoughts. If I think of something bad from my past, I think about something good to come in the future.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I usually counter my bad thoughts with good thoughts, although these negative feelings can sometimes be overwhelming. Whenever I feel like my mental state can be hurt due to negative stuff I just go and do something to keep my mind busy (play the guitar, watch a show or read a book). I usually forget about my silly issues after that! :p
  8. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I try to forget about them by keeping myself occupied. When I am doing something I have no time to be thinking negatively.
    Additionally if the environment I am in brings negative vibes, I remove myself from it.
  9. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

The problem with some people is they just sit around doing nothing when they should shift their focus and find something constructive to do. This will give the mind a chance to concentrate on something else. The more you do this the better and easier it will become. It takes practice.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Thinking more of the positive thoughts to counter the negative like thinking of the happy days you have. Making yourself busy on useful things like work, sports or a hobby could also help block out those negative thoughts.
  11. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I think it's difficult to try and "block" thoughts altogether, but I think it's more helpful to re-direct one's thinking. If I try to block thoughts I'll just be sitting there at internal war with myself all day. But if I simply allow the thoughts to come in, and then can follow that up with understanding that A) this is not where I want my head to be right now, and then B) introducing a new, and more helpful thought (or simply allowing the current thought to pass along), I'll be well on my way to dealing with negative thoughts in a productive, positive fashion.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

I think mindfulness and meditation is a great way to block out negative thoughts. Another thing you can do is whenever negative thoughts start to arise, try to think about the positive about that thought or list three things you are grateful for and then move on. I think by the time you make your gratitude list, you should have forgotten about the negative thought.
  13. nick92

nick92 Member

Blocking negative thoughts is not very easy as thoughts in general come and go with the speed of light. As for me, whenever I feel down or fall on a negative thinking path for a couple of seconds, I try to counter that by thinking of a quality of mine.

For example, if I remember that someone criticized me or I recall a bad event, I try to think "hey, forget that, you have your health and you deserve to be happy!" and this thing works. Also, remembering the beautiful times you had with your friends and/or family in the past can help as well.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Trying to block out negative thoughts can be hard, and that's especially the case when your a going through an addiction or recovery.

The mind is a powerful tool and while all different thoughts enter your head, for many different reasons, you have to try and control your emotions and learn that you don't have to react to everything.
  15. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, there is a whole science of ways to block out negative thoughts and it is something you need to do when you are looking for a way to get the sort of options you need. Make certain that you achieve the best results by combining methods. Meditation could also be helpful in this regard.
  16. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Start practicing meditation. At first just sitting and trying to quiet your mind will be nearly impossible, but keep trying. Just focus on your breath, or imagine a color or whatever works for you. Any thought that pops into your head, just kick it out. Do this whenever you get a chance. You will soon get better at recognising when thoughts pop into your head during daily life. And you can ignore the negative ones, and kick them out and just focus on the positive ones.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

When ever negative thoughts come in my mind, I do number of things such as:
    Cook: cooking is a great way to block negative thoughts
    gardening: when you are doing gardening, you will less likely to think other things except plant and soil.
  18. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

I try to focus on things that are more important to me than the negative thoughts. I try to remember the best of times in the past, and the moments that I felt the best and why. Sometimes, remembering those things can help bring you out of a depression even if it comes on quickly. Remembering who you are and the good things about you, that you have done for others, and the moments when you knew your value can really help and it goes a long way. Focusing on those thoughts should help you to overcome any negative ones as long as you keep at it. Staying positive is easier for some than it is for others. Some people really have to work at it, but I assure you, it's valuable and worth it to stay positive and do whatever you have to to stay healthy and on track with your goals.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I pray.
    I don't ignore the thoughts, I recognize that they are there, that they are a part of my life.
    I pray to God to give me the strength to overcome them, to give me the resolve to know I am living my life the right way now.
  20. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Sometimes, negative thoughts can creep to us and get the better of us. For me, I have some ways to block those thoughts. Here they are:

1. Find something to do. Find something that will keep your mind busy. You can exercise, dance or just go out for some fresh air. Anything to keep your mind away from those negative thoughts.

2. Praying. I find that seeking for a higher guidance can sure help me fight those thoughts away.

3. Bonding with the ones I love. Spending time with the people I love sure help me happy and busy as well.

I hope this helps!