An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Would You Block Out Negative Thoughts

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 1, 2016.

1. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Great advice!! Exercise is always beneficial. And, you are right about keeping your mind busy! If you can keep your mind busy and your body active at the same time, then that is a bonus!! Praying is also extremely important for me. It is also highly useful at focusing your mind on something higher than yourself and trusting and having faith. Bonding and spending time with loved ones is an excellent piece of advice for staying mentally and phsycically healthy.
  2. The best way is to fill your head with positive thoughts, pleasant memories, staying busy, and meditating to keep your mind clear of unwanted thoughts. Keeping yourself busy is the best way to forget about your problem and getting involved in something that is worth your time. Being in a positive environment surrounded by positive people helps a lot. And the best advice I can give is to try to meditate and try to lighten your mind off the thoughts that led you to your addiction.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

There was a stage in my life in which a nasty event frightened me, and my mind began to elaborate negative thought patterns. It was like a nightmare or horror movie that repeated over and over in mind until I found a gateway.

Blocking out those negative thoughts and bringing in positive ones was possible after reading a book that changed it all: "I Would If I Could and I Can: Program Your Personality for Success" by James H. Hoke.

This is a kind of safe, self-hypnotism book that server to reprogram your mind, whether to get rid of negative thoughts, bad eating habits, addictions, and everything else in which your mind plays an important role, and hypnotism can help.

It was written back in the 80s, but still available though Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/James-H.-Hoke/e/B001KHUN4K
  4. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In my life I always try to avoid thinking negative thoughts because it will not give me peace of mind and happiness in my heart. I just leave this negative things and surrendered everything to God who is the driver of my destiny in life.
  5. Most of the people who I have met having addictions to almost anything basically lack self-confidence and have a pessimistic approach to life. Once this becomes deep-rooted, it becomes incredibly difficult to convince them and bring them back to reality. I would recommend watching the movie 'Inception' to understand the impact a small idea can have on a person's life. All it takes is a small idea to fall into addiction, and a small thought can also bring you back. Give it a thought.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Find some videos on YouTube that are motivational or from someone who can relate and start watching them. It takes your mind off of the negative and focuses on the positive. You could also listen to music, or occupy your time doing activities or hobbies.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is some subject isn't it? Understanding those thoughts can make a difference. It's something like an average of 50,000 thoughts a day is what a person will have. Sometimes more. Negative thought patterns can be addictive. Realizing that the brain and your emotions can be hard wired into those thoughts. So you need to recognize and rewire those thoughts when you find yourself indulging in them. There is a whole science to it. The good news is that the positive thoughts are more powerful than negative ones. One positive can cancel out hundreds of negative ones. Just this realization can do wonderful things.
    Something that I learned a long time ago is that if you think something is going to happen that is not good. Why even think that thought? Why indulge in it? Why go through it two times? Once in your mind and once in reality. If it is going to happen, it's going to happen. You will go through it then. There is no need to go through it two times. You see? Think those positive thoughts to draw that reality to you.
    It's the law of attraction. I hadn't thought about people using drugs to worn of negative thoughts. Escapism I guess.