An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How would you get this far?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Rex, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Im a recovering alcoholic, ive smoked pot and ive experimented with E.
    But i never ever thought about heroin as an option, dont get me wrong i get addiction but how to do you let it get that far that you get hooked on Heroin?
    Im not judgeing, im just wondering.
  2. webdangol223

webdangol223 Member

Heroin is very dangerous.We should stop it.But Heroin has become a main problem now.:(:(
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Perhaps people are just looking for something to blot it all out. So many heroin addicts seems to have had traumatic life experiences and the promise of being able to escape from it all for a while must seem so tempting, especially if they have tried all other avenues.
  4. Facts

Facts Member

No one sees heroin as an option until they're down the line.

The two heroin users closest to me both started due to social situations. Ignorant, yes, but it happens. Peer pressure got the better of them.

Think of gateway drugs. You've experimented with E, what's stopping others from experimenting with an opiod like Percocet? They get a taste of the drug and now know what an opiod feels like. You don't easily forget about an opiod experience. In this case, using a Percocet can be the gateway to heroin. I'm not saying Percocet or other opiods will make you want to try other drugs of the same class, but it certainly does open users up to opportunities.

The impetus that causes a user to try heroin doesn't even have to be an opiod.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but the two I've explained in this post seem to be most frequent.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can be due, to being around the crowd and also it can be due to the influence as well and it can be also how the person chooses their association as well. It is interesting how it is easily to get into, drugs and even lose family and friends and also which is sad when it happens and can be hard to regain again. People, need to think about others as well and also how the choices can affect others as well.
  6. regicide3342

regicide3342 Member

One thing I can suggest that you do is to create a to-do list. I keep mine on my phone, and everytime I wake up in the morning, I open up the list and plan my day from there.
    I have an obsession to always add stuff and finish things listed in my to-do list.I really enjoy getting things done and I always want to do more, so a to-do list works well for me. Of course, you need to make sure the things you do are beneficial to you and to the people around you. A well done list of things you want to achieve every day will slingshot you towards a better future.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Everyone's level of emotional and mental strength is different so it doesn't surprise me that some people find it easier to fall into these types of traps or vicious cycles. To other people, for one reason or another, heroin is just a lot more normal or acceptable while to some it is more taboo. It just depends on environment, culture, and mental state of the individual.
  8. Sayitso

Sayitso Member

This comment is for Rex. Ignorance is key here. You must ask yourself what and why did you ever start using? Well if you know anything about H it is an opiate. Prescribed by doctors to patience for pain control. However is one of the most addictive drugs out there. Someone who may have started with taking pain medications and becoming addicted to the Opiate prescribed by a doctor gets cut off from the prescriptions might turn to an alternative. Hence you have Heroin.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You don't really need to let it get far. All it takes is one person, or one opportunity to get introduced to heroin, and you might immediately like it, without ever having tried any of the softer drugs. I have a friend who experienced exactly that. She came across heroin at a party where she felt save trying it. She loved what she experienced and started using it more often. In the end it became a fully blown addiction. She eventually managed to give it away but her years of abuse came at a great prize.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's the thing isn't it, sometines a drug can get it's claws into you before you even know it. Addiction takes away any modicum of self control or resolve we might have and soon starts making decisions for us.
  11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It's not as instantaneous as all these PSAs tend to make it seem. It IS a progression. I'm not a fan of labeling any drug a 'gateway' drug but I consider them all as stairs. Alcohol & tobacco included. You keep climbing the stairs because you've found you feel better the higher you go. No one was smoking weed one day & thought to themselves, 'I can't wait till I'm slumped on a pile of clothes in an abandoned building with an overused heroin needle half hanging out of arm'. You're chasing something & you think you'll be able to stop when you want to. If you don't try to stop you can keep living with that delusion.
    trevermorgana likes this.
  12. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

The reasons for why people do things like this are varied. It all comes down to the way you think about stuff. Some people just get to a point were things seem impossible and you feel incomplete. When something like this happens its best to seek help immediately since human beings by nature will seek a way to fill that hole the easiest way being drugs. After that its all progression just like the above poster said.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I've personally never used heroin or even known somebody who has, I always see heroin as a drug that many people can't recover from. Substances such as alcohol, cocaine etc, you hear a lot of success stories but heroin addicts, even after they stop using, never seem to return to their normal self.
  14. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

They say when it comes to heroin "once an addict, always an addict" but I refuse to accept that. A part of me still believes that with enough effort anyone can be restored.
  15. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I think a lot of those people who have tried it just didn't care. They may have had severe depression along with suicidal thoughts and so in that mind set ill decisions are often made. Escaping the moment is most important.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

They looked for something strong, something that would relieve the pain in a much "harder" way. They didn't choose to be addicted, they were "forced" by their body and their surroundings.
    It's very sad that this happens, but it's a part of the world.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think a lot of time drugs are seen like stepping stones. Someone tries marijuana, they don't have a bad experience and don't think they're at risk of addiction, so they think "what's the harm?" and move on to something else, like ecstacy as you mentioned. If they don't have a bad experience with that, then again they think "what's the harm?" and try something else. To me it's a dangerous game often of trying to go one more step...then it's a nasty web of various drugs.
  18. Rholm

Rholm Member

Heroin isn't like your other drugs, and understanding how someone could get hooked can sometimes require you to understand what it feels like. At first, you may use other drugs recreationally, and then be introduced to heroin; whether through the scene or through a choice of poor judgement.

Most people who are fresh on starting to using heroin won't use an IV, so the experience is underwhelming. They don't feel the blissful euphoria that they've heard about so many times, they just feel happy. They feel content. "All is right, and I feel nice", one may think. This drug doesn't make me feel jittery. This drug doesn't make me want to stay up all night, or cause me to perform worse at work. This drug is chill, and it wasn't expensive at all! I thought people said heroin was expensive.

Then you're hanging about and you want to pick up your favorite drug- I don't see why heroin is so spooky, and I didn't feel "hungover" after. I'll buy me enough to last me the whole week! I like heroin. Heroin makes me who I want to be. Heroin makes everything alright. I need heroin, now. My tolerance has gone up, I need more heroin to make me feel normal. I need more heroin to make everything alright. Everything is spinning, and nothing is the same as before. The only escape I have is heroin. I need help.

Understanding the mechanics of why someone could become addicted are a lot easier once you understand the inner thoughts of an addicted person.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's not unusual to see people getting into this drug world out of pure deliberate decision and not peer pressure whatsoever. Many of them had to endure a lot of things throughout their life span, and unfortunately the only solace they could find was heroin, and many other horrendous drugs. I was one of them, too, but managed to correctly behave once again upon seeing I was destroying my life and everyone else's who cared about me.
  20. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

Most people that I know got to using heroin from using prescription painkillers. Once they couldn't get them any more, or they became too expensive, etc, that is when they went to heroin because it was easier to obtain, and they could get higher on less.