An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Young?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Strykstar, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

One of the things that weird me out the most about marijuana is that we sometimes see very young kids consuming, sometimes as young as 12 or 13.
    I guess this is due to the mentality of "legalize it" and some parents not considering it dangerous, they aren't as careful educating their kids.
    Have you seen kids very young consuming marijuana? Did you say anything to them?
  2. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Personally I started smoking weed when I was 13 years old! I wouldn't say that my parents didn't educate me because they did, I just wanted to try it because my friends were trying it and it seemed like fun. I was a teen in the 90's and there wasn't much of a legalize it attitude at the time but many kids were smoking.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, I have. Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming more and more common with increasingly younger children all the time. I see children who can't be much older than twelve stood on the street corners smoking it. A lot of them seem to be under the impression that it's completely harmless... and a lot of them have parents who also smoke it and hang around on street corners, of course.
  4. Strykstar

How do you feel about it nowadays?
    Do you feel like going back in time and smacking 13 year-old you in the back of the head?
    Did your parents find out about it back then?
  5. juliaintheclouds

Well when I see 13 year olds smoking nowadays they look like little kids to me, so yes I wouldn't mind smacking my 13 year old self in the head! At the same time I think those experiences helpes shape who I am today and gave me experiences both good and bad so it's hard to regret. My mother caught me stoned more times than I can remeber, I got grounded a lot but that didn't really stop me.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Marijuana in my country is still illegal so it's highly unlikely I would see a person in their early teens smoking openly. It's when they hit their twenties and they have decided they are not going to hide anymore that you see more of it.

Many when they open up to me will tell me stories of starting at a very young age. Some as early as ten years old. I have always discouraged it but some will say they have it under control.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not seen anyone smoking pot or using marijuana personally.
    Marijuana is illegal here but there are still some reported cases of a child who used it and even selling some of this stuff in schools. These kind of news is really alarming as it can lead to addiction even on such young age.
  8. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I have seen it a lot and it eventually turned those kids into monsters. In my community, they plant it a lot so several parents see it somewhat as the norm until it has started to affect their kids drastically. When and if it is legalized it will only make things worst. These young children here act like they are adults and hardly take corrections from their parents, much less a total stranger so I wouldn't even say anything to them, unless it is a close friend or family member.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Someone I know told me he once saw a kid, 11, smoking weed. When he questioned the kid, guess what the kid told him?

"Dad smokes and I smoke too."

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

So I believe that there are two reasons why a kid would start smoking that early:

#1. Negative influence from parents.
    #2. The conventions . . . in places where almost everyone smokes, kids start learning how to do it when they are very young.
  10. Sparkster

Marijuana is still also illegal here in the UK and is not even permitted for medicinal use here. However, many users act as though it is legal. Not only do you see young teenagers hanging around in the street smoking it, but there are also many adults who just walk about smoking it freely and openly. Most of the time the police just turn a blind eye to it. I guess that's just how widespread it has become around here.
  11. Strykstar

I wonder why the police turns a blind eye to such blatant use.
    I can see if they are low on resources but if users are just flaunting their illegal drugs in front of them...
    If people saw that there were consequences to using those drugs then they would think twice about doing it themselves.
  12. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

How can parents not view marijuana as not being dangerous to their kids? If that is the case of which i think is very rare,then that is setting a very bad precedent and it's a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.
  13. juliaintheclouds

I live in Canada and although it is not officially legalized here it is not considered criminal per say. I have been to music festivals where people are smoking everywhere and cops are walking around not batting an eyelash. Even though it's not legal I think the cops would rather focus on people who are causing trouble and dealing harder drugs. If you are caught with weed here you can be fined I believe but I've never heard of it happening.
    I remember once when I was young a cop caught me and my friends smoking and all he said was "Don't do that around here, take it home."
  14. Sparkster

In the area where I live I think it's probably because they are more concerned with the harder drugs that are going round.

There has been a bit of an epidemic in my part of the world. First of all it was crack cocaine then it's popularity died off and now the most popular drug is M-CAT (Mephedrone). I think police are more worried about that so they leave the marijuana smokers alone.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have a friend who got his first taste of it when he was at that age about 12 or 13, because according to him his brother found a good stock and didn't want to let the opportunity pass without letting his little brother taste it. Of course he grew up a lot less scared of the substance than others because of that incident and he still smokes until today, over a decade later. He's able to stop for months at a time without issues though and it seems like he has a good handle on his life. He has a good job now and he drinks and smokes on occasion and I'm pretty sure he still also experiments with other substances but he never takes it too far. I'm guessing it's because his family is very tight knit and his parents are very nice. I've met them and they are very friendly and easy to talk to. I'm not saying this will happen for everyone, since this is just anecdotal, but it is a true story nonetheless.
  16. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Wow. That's a little bit horrible. Youth being exposed to such drugs would later turn to be addicted. Drugs have very huge impact on their mentality.
  17. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

No, I haven't. But there was a case of high school students in the school where I used to work and it was their counselor who handled the case.

I read that from 2007 onwards, use of marijuana has been increasing. It is at this time that young people tend to approve of its use and do not think that it is harmful to them. This can be attributed to the increasing notion that it is a safe drug. And this belief could have stemmed from the debate over its legalization as it can be medicinal. So some believe that it can't be harmful because of its natural ability to cure.

Its easy access to the young people has made it a popular drug of choice to them. And to think it is at this time that peer influence is so strong. So to belong, to be in and out of curiosity, they give it a try. Before they know it, they get hooked.
  18. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

The younger you are the more dangerous the implications are to your sanity. It is not something that should be used regardless of the age but young people seem to be more vulnerable to becoming hooked on it to the point where they just have no control over themselves.
  19. Sparkster

Yes, it's true that the younger you start using marijuana the more you risk your mental health. I also know quite a few people that use marijuana and may even dabble in other drugs, although they do seem to be well educated and never seem to go over the top. Some of those people also seem to be able to just quit and then start again whenever they feel like it.
  20. terrainna

terrainna Member

Yes, I grew up in a rough neighborhood and the majority of my friends were experimenting with marijuana before we were out of middle school. This is before legalization. Now that I am an adult with my own children, that is a very difficult site for me to see. You really want to avoid saying anything TO them. The best way to help is to have a conversation WITH them.