An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Angst, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Angst

Angst Member

I dont know how to completely stop. Opiates and cocaine. What are some things that helped any of you that have successfully stopped? And do cravings ever go away?
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi Angst! :) First, let me welcome you to the forum and thank you for joining us and seeking for our help.

Well, quitting is never easy especially if you're just starting. Cravings can sometimes cause you to relapse but don't fret. If you fail at times, just pull yourself up and never let those failures put you down. Focus and perseverance will help you overcome the hindrances in achieving sobriety.

There will be more who will give you better advice regarding your situation. Don't hesitate to keep on coming back for advice. :)
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello @Angst! Welcome to the forum. I am glad you have found us here and now considering seeking help from others. I would say, that is a huge step towards recovery. Well, before you quit, you should physically and mentally prepare yourself first because the journey towards recovery is a long one, it is like an emotional roller-coaster ride. You will go through horrible withdrawal symptoms, but if you are really focused and determined to change for the better, I think you will successfully overcome it. Good luck! :)
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think with trying to combat any addiction, the biggest step is actually realising that you need help in the first place. Once you have made your mind up that your going to need help, then do it.

I spent weeks pretending to myself that just because I had accepted I needed help then I was more or less done, you have to follow through with your thoughts.
  5. ScreenName

ScreenName Member

I have realized and accepted that I need help with my addiction.
    @pwarbi Your words speak to me...if that even makes sense. Finally going to rehab on the 27th for myself and am "excited" for my future endeavors. Do you speak from experience of opiate addiction?
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm glad you've made the decision to give rehab a go. And that's the best way to look at it, as a bright new future to look forward to. Of course it's going to be hard at first, you know that but keep yourself focused on a goal you've set yourself.

I speak from being an ex addict of quite a few different substances throughout the years, I'm not an expert by any means, but I'be just been there so can share my experience.
  7. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Welcome Angst! The thing that helped me the most was moving away from familiar surroundings for awhile. I know that sounds strange, but the only people I knew were drinkers, druggies and party animals. I went to a neighboring town and made it my business to meet some new people who weren't into that lifestyle. I started by walking into a small church, and sharing my story. If you can't do that, I would suggest that you try to make different friends where you live. Drugs and alcohol choose our friends for us, and there will always be people who want you to keep that lifestyle.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Opiates can be rather hard to kick. I'd suggest weaning yourself off of them so that it will be easier to deal with withdrawal eventually. Since you eventually must deal with withdrawal you need to be prepared for that. Have a plan [re: how you'll deal with withdrawal]. If you can stay strong for three [or so] weeks after quitting, fighting the cravings will only get easier from there.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You've got to ween yourself off and detox, detox, detox. Little by little you can do it. Keep saying to yourself, "I can do this. Look how easy it is." Brainwash it out of you. Focus on what you want. Drop the word addict from your mental dictionary. Choose a different context for yourself.
    "Do the cravings go away?" you ask. It is not important for you it does and it has, gone away. Find a new fix, a healthy one. Lift weights, pound the pavement by jogging. Something, anything that is good for you other than this. It doesn't matter if the cravings have ever gone away for anyone else. What matters is that you know you can, believe you already have. Crave some healthy food, crave the adrenaline rush of running fast and do it. Find something that gives you satisfaction whatever that may be.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think the first step is that you ought to acknowledge that you have a problem and then you go and seek professional help. There are no short cut ways to quit taking drugs, but with effort and dedication you can overcome your addiction. Have you already tried going to a rehab facility? If yes, then how was it?
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Hi and welcome. Sadly I don't have much to offer in the way of advice as this is not an area I am familiar with. I do believe that with any drug you can stop and the cravings can go away. I know that this is often much easier said than done but I know from what I have read mostly, that it's possible. From the looks of it you are getting some advice pointing you in the right direction from forum members. I am happy you have joined us.