An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Humiliated & Shamed, Angry

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by TbeFree, Oct 21, 2018.

1. TbeFree

TbeFree Member

:)I am a 45 year old mother of 2, a couple of weeks ago I was sitting having a conversation with my boyfriend when suddenly everything started spinning I reached out to grab onto him but it felt like something or somebody grabbed me by the shoulders and threw me on the floor. I immediatly started having a seizer losing control of my arms & legs. It lasted for about 35-40 seconds and when I tried to get up I realized that I was compleatly paralized on my left side and could not get myself up. My boyfriend drove me to the fire department where we called an ambulance. They took me to the Emergency Room where I was told it seems I had had a stroke. I was So Scared and a Computer Screen on wheels came into my room with a Doctors Face telling me hes a neurologist and had the nurses to some test holding my legs & arms etc. So the Doctor then tells me that they have the medication that will reverse whats happen to me so im thinking, Oh thank god. Then he says , we Have the medication HOWEVER YOU ARE NOT A CANIDIT TO RECIEVE IT because of your drug & alcohol history.:eek: I was devistated, embarrased, alone. So i guess if you have made not so good choices in life you dont deserve or get the same medical treatment as the perfect people in the world. Forget that I have always done what I could to help others, been a good daughter, sister, grandmother, I guess none of that counts in the world of deciding who gets medical treatment and who dont.:mad:
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@TbeFree

Hello and welcome to the Forum. I'm really sorry that you suffered a stroke. And I'm sorry that happened to you in the hospital. I don't know about these types of things, or how someone's substance abuse history can affect a treatment. Perhaps you could go get a second opinion. I've known many people had to go on a search for the right doctor for them. Or the right treatment.

I hope that you're doing all right. Did you have any long-lasting negative effects of the stroke? Just curious. Please know that we are here to listen anytime and offer encouragement and hope for you.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Wow,I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't have anything to say that can help on this one.I am so sorry and I pray you are doing better,and definitely get a second opinion. STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
    Dominica likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@TbeFree... Thank you for sharing with us. It seems completely unfair to me that you were denied treatment for your stroke because of your past history of drug/alcohol use. Did you get any further explanation from the doctors? Or the hospital? I would definitely look into getting a second opinion, and maybe even consult a lawyer. I don't have any experience with situations like this, but I don't think it would hurt to do whatever you can to find out if you were somehow wrongly discriminated against. Are you in the United States? Just curious.
    True concern likes this.