An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Husband in Detox talking about Suboxone Maintenance Therapy

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by spoyltdiver, Apr 10, 2019.

1. spoyltdiver

spoyltdiver Member

I was able to talk to my husband last night for our alloted minutes while he's in a detox center for opiates and oxy.
    Anyway, he mentioned that they may want him on Suboxone maintenance therapy for his supposed back pain (I say it like that because no one really knows if that's true or has just been an excuse to use as of this moment).
    My true concerns are
    1) treating an addiction with another drug addiction.... how does this work out? whats the point of getting lean from one, just to have another dependency?
    2) We're supposed to be trying to have a baby... and I just turned 39... so time is really ticking here. I've read many negative things on sex, libido, sperm motility, etc from Suboxone
    Can anyone give me any more info or personal experiences on this? I just read the previous posters concern with having no libido now and he's young and engaged. :'(

Thank you
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@spoyltdiver... I responded to your post in another thread, so please look for that.

Your concerns about Suboxone are valid, but I honestly believe that it can be a very helpful tool in getting and staying clean long-term. My son was a heroin addict and I believe Suboxone treatment saved his life. Are there negative things about it? Yes. But I think the positives outweigh the negatives. And if your husband is prescribed Suboxone by a physician and uses it as directed, it may increase his chances of long-term success. Also, he wouldn't be on Suboxone indefinitely. The plan would likely be for him to take it and wean off of it.

If you and your husband are concerned about this treatment option, by all means have a discussion with the doctor at his rehab. It's important to know the pros and cons, and to discuss any questions you might have.

Here are a couple of articles that you may find helpful:

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/suboxone

https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Tre...prenorphine/Buprenorphine-Naloxone-(Suboxone)

I hope this helps.
    Dominica likes this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@spoyltdiver hello and welcome! suboxone can be helpful to get off the more harmful drugs... i agree with dean to talk with your doctor...and please come here anytime!!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@spoyltdiver hello and welcome. I've been going to a methadone clinic. I believe use whatever tools you need to in order to get clean. An opioid addiction is one of the hardest to treat and if he continues to use he may die. Research it like Deanokat said. I'm sure you would rather have him clean and alive then still using?
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Hi. I'm sorry that you and your husband are going through this. I really can relate. Something many don't really get about suboxon is that the point is that it is a highly potent partial agonist. Meaning unlike oxy heroin ect. you may feel the first couple of doses but after that its like taking a placebo.
    I am about a year clean now and if not for Buprenorphine(suboxone, just without the naloxone) I would probably not be here. It really is effective at completely taking away cravings without making you high.
    And its effectiveness at blocking other opiates is so good its not even worth trying to use even some of the strongest ones I can think of. The effect just isn't there. But the great thing is neither is the desire to use, the majority of the time.
    Yes its addictive but controlled and taken properly safe. That's the point of using a narcotic like this so that he can wean down slowly while the brain heals and still function.
    Bone and muscle pain are also very common with oxy use especially in the spine/lower back region. I had it for a while. His pain may be very real.
    As far as having a baby goes I have a son and he was conceived while i was on methadone(among other opiates also). He's as healthy as can be. I've heard guys say the stuff about sex drive associated with methadone and suboxone use but if opioid dependant and really need to be on replacement therapy never heard a complaint.
    There's such a huge stigma attached to methadone and suboxone clinics. But its really just like using nicotine patches to help stop smoking.
    deanokat, Dominica and DoxyMom like this.
  6. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Joshstillclean thanks for your input regarding your journey. i'm so glad you are clean and living a good life. and, enjoying your son!

i agree about the stigma associated with clinics... but the reality is that these meds DO help people get off the harder drugs that often cause them to OD.... so that is something...
    deanokat likes this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Joshstillclean... This is a terrific post. It's unfortunate that there's still such a stigma associated with methadone and Suboxone clinics. And even with treatment centers. We live in a country where there is a proliferation of dialysis clinics because people have kidney disease. No one thinks twice about those. But clinics that help people fight the disease of addiction? For so many people, that's a totally different story. And it shouldn't be!

@spoyltdiver... How are you doing, my friend? Check in with us and let us know if you have a chance. We're here and we care.
    Joshstillclean likes this.