An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Husband leaving treatment

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Brendalee, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Brendalee

Brendalee Member

My husband has been a heroin addict for 10+ years and has picked up a meth habit as well. Too many overdoses to count. I had him sectioned for the second time a month ago. This time he has changed and really started to get a hold on this. Started vivitrol and really just finding out what works for him. He's been doing amazing
    He is all set to go to a long term program next week and was looking forward to that. Tonight he called and said he was going to leave treatment , i talked with him about everything that he has accomplished so far and explained that there are going to be serious consequences if he leaves. I encouraged him and told him how proud I and his family are and that I have all the faith in him and he will get through today. I'm honestly after he will try and leave there tonight.. I'm not sure what I should do.. I need some advice
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Brendalee... Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear that your husband is talking about leaving treatment, especially after he seems to have gotten some very positive results. But the one thing you have to remember is what Al-Anon and Nar-Anon teach us about a loved one's addiction: You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. Unfortunately, if your husband is wanting to leave treatment, I'm not sure there's much you can do. Yes, you can set boundaries and let him know that there will be consequences if he leaves. That might work. But if he's dead set on leaving, he likely won't care about the consequences. Also, be sure to follow through on any consequences you put in place for him; if you don't, he will know you're not serious about things you say to him.

I wish I had better advice for you. If your husband leaves treatment, you'll likely have to think about making some tough decisions. Just be sure to take good care of yourself, okay? When someone we love struggles with addiction, we need to practice self-care so we avoid letting their addiction claim us as a victim as well.

Sending you strength, hope, and love.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Brendalee hello and welcome. Dean has given some great insight and advice.. i do hope your husband stays... but if he leaves... then yes, you may have some tough decisions to make. curious if you have gotten into a support group over the years? or therapy to help you learn how to practice self-care and how to best be there for him in a healthy way?
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hey, @Brendalee... How are you doing today? Did your husband decide to leave treatment? Just checking in with you.