An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hypnosis/NLP To Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Sparkster, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I once knew someone who successfully managed to quit smoking after six weekly sessions of hypnotherapy. Has anyone else tried going down this route?

NLP is also another alternative route to go down. Not only can it help you give up smoking, but it can also help you change any other unwanted behaviours. You can either learn NLP yourself, or you can see an NLP Practitioner.

NLP and hypnosis are very closely related.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I've never heard of anyone having success with NLP or hypnosis in my particular circle of friends and acquaintances. However, I wouldn't count either one of these practices out. I've seen stranger things help a person kick an addiction after all. As far as I'm concerned, whatever has the chance of working should be considered as a solution to one's addictions and other problems.
  3. Sparkster

Whereas this type of hypnotherapy is quite common, though not always successful, very few people actually seem to know what NLP is and, of course, it often gets labelled as pseudo-science due to the possibility of misusing it to exploit people. I use NLP in my daily life for a variety of different things and it's amazing just how powerful it can be. NLP can be used for pretty much anything. It's really nothing more than a self-improvement/self-help model based on psychological principles.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is nice to know that it could help someone to totally quit and it will be great if this could/would work to majority of those who will try it. I do not know anyone who have tried it and I think this kind of treatment is not yet available here or I am just not aware of it.
  5. Sparkster

This is not something that a health organization will promote, due to it's capacity for manipulation. Most NLP Practitioners are completely independent. In the UK there is a celebrity called Paul McKenna who started a television show called I Can Change Your Life. People with problems, such as addictions or phobias, go on the show and McKenna uses NLP to help them. It's really all about behavioural change via psychology. For example, he can help you quit smoking by making it taste like Marmite each time you take puff (if you don't like Marmite), or can create an association so that each time you light up it reminds you of an off-putting memory. Obviously, a combination of these types of techniques is even more powerful.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am not sold on the fact that it would actually work, but I have never tried it
    It might be able to trick your brain into thinking you don't smoke anymore. I would love to hear from someone who has tried it.
  7. Sparkster

I have used NLP a lot in my own life and it has helped me personally in numerous ways. Of course, it's not for everyone. NLP is closely related to hypnosis but it's not hypnosis. In fact, hypnosis is just a small part of NLP. NLP can be used pretty much for anything whether it's therapy, hypnosis, behavioural change, self-help, self-improvement, etc. Another person who often uses NLP is Derren Brown. I think Tony Robbins also promotes NLP.
  8. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I don't think hypnotherapy would work for me. I'm just skeptical about it in general, but I'm glad it can work for other people.

What is NLP?
  9. Sparkster

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone and to be quite honest it's unlikely to work for people who are skeptical about because it does rely on some extent on your beliefs (you've probably heard of the placebo effect, although it's not a placebo). Hypnotic techniques have actually been shown to work on about 67% of people. It's based on suggestibility which is a normal human trait required for the learning process and is very different from gullibility. The more intelligent a person is, the more likely it is to work because those people are better at following instructions. NLP is short for Neuro-Linguistic Programming - it's the study and structure of subjective experience and shows how language and the mind program each other and vice versa.
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Ah, thanks. NLP sounds very interesting. I'll have to look into it further. I think I would be more open to that than to hypnotherapy.
  11. Sparkster

NLP really is an incredible tool which can be used to improve any area of your life, whether it's personal or professional success, improving communication, overcoming phobias, giving up smoking, behavioural change or anything else you can possibly think of. It was originally developed in the seventies by a psychologist and a linguist. It's also often now used in business and staff training. Despite that fact, many psychologists are unfamiliar with it and some people have labelled it as a pseudo-science which is ridiculous conidering it's all based on psychology and behaviour and has been proven to be effective for over three decades. However, intelligent minds who can fully master NLP could use it to exploit people and I think that's why certain people and authorities try so hard to discredit it. I have used it myself to overcome phobias, for business, for writing and to improve my life in various areas. With time, effort and learning NLP can drastically improve your life.
  12. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Could you Please suggest a program that really worked. Seems like an easy way to get rid of this habit? I could use that and set up a center for smoking de addiction in my area. If possible, please also let me know if there is any place where I can get any deals for that. Thanks in advance.