An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hypnotherapy

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kevinkimers, Nov 26, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Has anyone experienced, or know of someone who has, hypnotherapy to beat their addiction? I have been reading around and it seems like an interesting way to kick habits and/or help to reduce the withdrawal.
  2. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

No I actually checked in to see if someone was going through this type of treatment and their opinions on it lmao.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've not heard of anyone who has used hypnotherapy to overcome their addictions but the concept is workable I believe. Hypnosis does work so since they say hypnotherapy is supposed to re-train the sub-conscious mind of an addict so they can break free from their addictions I'm sure it is effective.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Very interesting concept. I don't think it could hurt anyone, so why not. I know a lot of people that have tried everything to kick the habit. This could be a viable solution.
  5. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I don't know of anyone who has used hypnotherapy to beat addiction. From what I have read on hypnotherapy and addiction is that hypnotherapy is used further in the rehabilitation process. From my understanding, it is not used until a person has gone through a complete detoxification. From my understanding, it is also only effective for those who really want to give up their addiction.
  6. kevinkimers

Addictions are part of the sub-conscious mind so I would have to agree with you on that. If the sub-conscious mind can be reprogrammed to detest drugs or alcohol, maybe then it would make recovery easier or even absolute.
  7. kevinkimers

My assumption on this is because even if you take care of the sub-conscious addiction, making them not want it anymore, there is still the aspect of the physical addiction which can't be easily dealt with through hypnosis. It is not always a mind over matter issue. The physical aspects of the withdrawal, pain & sickness, may override the hypnotic suggestion of avoidance. Just a theory of course.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not a believer of hypnosis but I don't know enough to completely discredit it. I've seen some people try it out to quit smoking and I've never heard it working for anyone. I'm sure there are some people out there that have managed to quit smoking with the help of hypnosis but I wonder how much of it is just placebo.