An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I almost ran over a child

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Hyperion, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

The is kind of a small story to illustrate how small incidents can add up and change behavior.
    When I was 16 and only had my learner's permit, I smoked some weed with some people I did not know very well. They wanted a ride, so I gave them one even though I was way too stoned to drive properly.
    I was making a left turn and there were 2 nannies each with a child, and I almost ran them both over and stopped within inches. They looked petrified, and I was too...and extremely embarrassed.

Now, I continued to do a lot of dumb things in my teens and after, but I always remembered this. It helped me realize that if I am going to get high and hurt myself, I have no right to be on the road and put other people potentially in danger.

Just wanted to share.
    Jasmine2015 and goldenmonkey like this.
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Glad you learned from it. I bet that really freaked you out close calls like that you don't forget. You were a young, and I assume new to driving adding weed to that would make for a bad experience which sounds like you found out first hand. I think we all have had close calls that could have ended really bad, but didn't. Some learn some don't.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you have learned on that experience and able to use it as your guide not to do that again or not to be in such situation again. Good thing too that nothing bad happened on that day.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Hyperion... Thank god you were able to stop in time. And good for you for using that scary event as a learning experience going forward. I wish more people think twice before getting behind the wheel of a car after drinking or getting high. Thanks for sharing with us.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am so glad that you were able to come to a stop that day. Those poor innocent people out for a walk could have had their lives cut short by a mistake you made. I am glad that you learned from it and that it opened to eyes to realize how driving while under the influence can be deadly. I wish more people would realize. Too many innocent lives are cut short from people getting behind the wheel when they are drunk or high! Thanks for sharing.
  6. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

It is a good thing you have decided to come out and share your story with the world. It is a good thing also that you have changed for the better. There are lots of people out there who started doing this at a very early age but have not gotten enough of it. All we have to do is that they will live to tell their story just like you.
  7. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

It's brave of you to share your story with us, that takes courage. It goes to show you that even when we don't intend to hurt anybody- the potential is always there when we choose to be under the influence. I know that I've had way too many breaks in my life after getting behind the wheel intoxicated.
    One of my breaking points was when I was driving around after I had gone AWOL and I was lost in NJ (I'm from CT) It was like 3 am on a dark road in a strange state and I knew that if I didn't find a Motel or a hospital I was going to kill somebody (possibly myself too in the process) So I prayed and literally two minutes later I saw a sign for a hospital.

Talk about a sign huh. I went in and detoxed. I wish I could say that was my last one... but it wasn't. But maybe it also saved my life or somebody else's (at least that night)

Thanks for sharing.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Definitely something those who think weed isn't all that bad should hear. Many people believe that they can smoke as much weed as they want and still do anything they please. It might not end well. Bad things can happen either to you or others. If you are "high" don't drive.
  9. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

When I was a child I was runned over by a car when I was going to school and honestly it didn't shock me.. I still don't know why but I was just injuried for a couple of days at a knee and that's all but my case was totally different..
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am glad this story had a happy ending and that your own experience showed you the potential harm you could have caused because of your high. From where I sit, I think experience was your best teacher and for that reason you should have success in convincing others that they should make good choices.

Your story is also a reminder that weed is not as harmless as some would suggest. Welcome to the forum Hyperion. I look forward to hearing more from you.
  11. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

I like hearing these kind of testimonies because it shows how important is to realize that you have a problem and that's the first step for recovery. We do many things without thinking, and don't realize how harmful we're being until something like this happens and puts the reality of your actions right in front of your face. It's things like this that make us change for the better.
  12. harold

harold Community Champion

Thank God you stopped on time and avoided the tragedy. Many people are usually not as lucky as you were. People have spent substantial periods of their lives behind bars because of mistakes like that. I am glad for you and above all I am glad that you are on the right side of history now. You are absolutely right, it is not wise to be on the road if you take such substances. Unfortunately, many people believe that the best time to be on the road is when they have taken drugs or certain substances. I know a friend who is a professional driver. He makes alcohol an important part of his routine. To him, it is compulsory to drink in order to have the inspiration to drive well. People do not know that drinking or taking substances and then driving does not help in anyway. All the same, I am glad you were alert enough to stop the tragedy.
  13. goldenmonkey

goldenmonkey Member

That's terrifying! I'm so glad everyone was okay. I never learned to drive, because of my various addictions. I knew I was never going to be able to drive safely. Driving is a privilege to be earned. Unfortunately it is also a necessity in many places. I'm lucky I grew up in a place with good transit. In the country, everyone has to drive everywhere.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

As a human being we cannot expect that our life will always be that pleasant. From our childhood days, teenage life and adulthood there will always be good or bad experiences that we can encounter all through the way of our life and there is no exception. Of course we always dream of happy experiences but we cannot avoid painful experiences in our life. It's great that you had learned to control your behavior and emotions from that kind of experience you had when you are a teenager and is now using it for your self growth as an individual. And thanks for sharing it in this forum :)
  15. The important part of life is learning from our mistakes and helping the next person learn the same thing. You accepting and acknowledging what could have happened might have saved your life. I am glad that you have learnt that lesson and decided to share it, someone has also learn that lesson and will not make the same mistake...Thank you
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Wow - that is absolutely a story that is useful to share, just to give people some perspective on how close that could have been to disaster. Sometimes you need a shake up like that to make you realize just how much of a change in life you need to make. As scary as it would have been, it sounds like it happened for a reason.
  17. I agree it takes a lot to come out and tell such a story...I hope many people see this incredible story and learn from it.
  18. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I am glad that everyone was safe. Sometimes lessons do have to be learned the hard way. A sort of wake up call. My mom tells me all the time that when you drive c you are driving not only for your self, but others as well. Some don't pay attention, while others decide they will do as they please and then cause accidents in the process, like running a red light.
  19. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is a great post, sometimes when we're under the effects of alcohol/drugs we have a tendency to forget about other people, at that moment, our fun is the only thing that really matters... And a lot of people don't realize about this until they hurt someone else or have experiences like this.
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Yeah we really should take things like this into consideration. When you're really stoned you can't be driving all over the place. It's really fortunate that you didn't run the child over. learning from your mistakes is important. A car can be dangerous it takes really good judgment to be a safe driver.