An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I am addicted to food :'(

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Davienna, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Ever since a very tender age I was always considered a foody. What a lot of persons around me did not realize that is was due to stress that I gradually became addicted to the worst foods. Trying to lose weight works for me just for very short periods then as soon as I become a bit stressed or worried about a situation, I just start eating like a pig. Are there websites or support groups that can help me to curb or control this addiction?
  2. Martisa

Martisa Member

Check out these sites http://oa.org and http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Food-Addiction/support-group I also recommend trying to find a hobby you really enjoy and when you get the urge to eat do it instead! Also some things that helped me:
    Never go grocery shopping hungry!
    Grocery shop with a friend to help you buy healthier snacks!
    Also try drinking warm lemon water it will help curb your appetite! Squeeze a half a lemon into 6 to 8 ounces of warm not hot water. This has been a life saver for me!
    Davienna likes this.
  3. Davienna

Thank you very much, I however eat a lot when I am excited. Most of the times though, it is during work when I am stressed to the max and seeking a way to comfort myself so that is where the greatest challenge is.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm a big eater as well. Hawaiian can eat. Anyways, there is a wide variety of food out there that you can stuff your face with. What I've learned is that, you can eat a lot of food, but you need to take in consideration of what kind of food you are eating. I have lost 20 pounds and I still eat like there is no tomorrow. How did I do that? I only eat non GMO protein (meat), animal fat, raw vegetables, and limited amount of fruits. You need to stay away from everything else. No carbs, grains, starches, fruity drinks, sports drinks, vegetable oil, and GMO products. Also drink a lot of water.
  5. Martisa

Martisa Member

I agree its all about what you are not how much you eat! I think my biggest problems are the fruity drinks, starches, & grains! If I can stay away from those I'll be a lot better off! It's great you have managed to do so well!
  6. Davienna

It is easier said than done, when you have a budget like mine and living in Jamaica. The healthy stuff is very expensive while the things that are bad for your health are cheap. Even preparing a meal at home, I can hardly ever use vegetables as it is too expensive here.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I had that proble, myself together with my sister, we would eat non stop like pigs, there was a time I would cook food but it would not get done, because by the time I finish cooking I will have tasted almost all of it, the first thing I did was I dewormed myself, then I had to take an appetite supressant to kill my appetite, I only took it for three days , I could not bare the feeling, but it did help me.
  8. Davienna

I am currently taking appetite suppressant s and vinegar tablets to speed up my sugar metabolism but sometimes I don't take them for days as the feeling is horrible after a while. I love cooked food and I eat a lot! I normally eat myself to a pulp and then when I gain the weight I would be so depressed. I wish I was in the states so I could try Jenny Craig and all these programs to help me.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Since you know the triggers . . .

You could try finding something of interest which you would turn to when you feel stressed so you don't have to turn to food as temporal consolation. If you can, when the craving to eat [even when you aren't hungry] strikes take a walk and take no money with you as this will keep your from buying food you hadn't planned on buying.

I've also heard that chewing gum can suppress your appetite to some extent. Can't say if it works or not though.

When all else fails, meditation will help in overcoming any addiction.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  10. Davienna

Thanks but chewing gums will only give me gas. Exercise does help a bit as it relaxes my mind and body but I am generally a lazy person so I don't do that very often. I tire too easily as I am overweight. Thanks for the advice though and I will try to exercise more frequently.
  11. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

This is bad to say but I think my addiction to food itself is mainly because I'm bored. And I know how stupid this may sound to some but it's really true I eat because I'm bored. My day is I wake up take care my child and my husband is gone over 80% of the time so I am alone a lot of the time. I really don't know why I do this may be is because I'm just lonely all together. I say inside all day with nothing to do other than housework that is always done, and I really don't have anybody to talk to so I eat. I think you could say I have a problem or a addiction to food that I wish I could get away from.
  12. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Due to a highly stressful school year, I've also found myself ballooning in weight. I've decided to get back on track with my weight and started counting my calories. I've also asked for advice from a few of my friends, and they said that eating smaller meals every day actually helps you feel fuller. I've tried it, and it definitely works. I find myself eating less and more easily sated, instead of getting super hungry and gorging myself every meal. I don't know if it will work for you, but it's definitely worth a try!
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I am kind of a stress eater as well but oddly enough I lost weight woot effort once I surrounded myself with the right people. I found that when I felt supported and comfortable my appetite was curbed naturally without knowing it because I was focused on other activities due to my friends having the same interests. I think it's one of the best ways to go about it but eventually I knew I had to carry that feeling over to when I was alone so I could keep up and maintain it and thankfully I was able to.
  14. Davienna

Jade you need to try and find some other interesting activities such as; exercising , a little dancing, try to learn a new language etc. Being that you know the source of the problem, you just need to try and combat it.
  15. Davienna

I have heard this before, thanks for a helpful reminder. I was told that it is better to eat often but in small portions, which would help to reduce the size of my stomach and also boost my metabolism.Will e trying this method again.
  16. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

It's really tough. I have been there and did manage to curb a pretty serious sugar addiction. Try and cut back on processed foods as much as possible. Even replacing one or two processed snacks or food a day can really help out and make a difference.
  17. Davienna

Easier said than done my dear but I will try as every thing is a process and will not happen over night. I love really sweet things and it is very hard to not eat them.
  18. kita

kita Member

I can relate. I am a stress eater too and like you struggle to lose weight because I'm constantly under pressure. I've managed to drop 20 pounds October this year and haven't pick it back up as yet, but feel myself slipping back into my old ways. Starting January I want to get back onto my diet. It really is difficult.
  19. Davienna

Congratulations to you, I wish I had the dedication to lose that amount. My work is stress, my life away from home is also stress to an extent, mainly because I am single and I love comfort. The food seem to give me the comfort I would probably find in a partner. If I lose 20-30 pounds that would be great, my dream come through and then from there I would try to maintain it and not let my weight get out of hand again.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also tend to eat a lot when I am stressed, depressed or angry. I think it cannot be considered as addiction yet since it is just on those certain instances or occasions and not on a daily basis. I would also like to lose some weight this year. ;)