An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I am addicted to food :'(

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Davienna, Nov 21, 2014.

1. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

Have you ever spoken to a health care professional, doctor, nurse, dietician about this? Eating patterns are not only learnt patterns, but are both driven by physical and psychological factors. A lot of people find themselves in a terrible cycle of poor eating patterns. If we don't eat an adequate amount our bodies can easily slip into a semi-starvation mode (nothing to do with weight) and therefore we then crave food (this can again be biological or psychological). We need to satisfy psychological cravings in order not to over do it, we also need to satisfy our physical need for food so we don'r restrict and therefore end up craving food. We also need to understand our body, as to whether the need to over eat is for psychological or biological reasons (not easy I know). Also we can over eat through stress as some find that food is a natural comfort, but this can increase psychological distress and guilt and a feeling of loss of control. Have you kept a diary as to your eating habits? What you are eating, when you are eating it, how you are eating it, where you hungry or not. And also documenting how you feel, what was happening that day. Were you responding to something that has happened, were you bored, tired, upset, angry. Making lots of details for reflection and to notice a pattern. Phone apps might help? My fitness pal or the recovery record....not sure if you have access to these where you are.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good one. There are chemicals in the food that make you addicted to them and eat compulsively. Detox and clean your diet up. Organic unprocessed foods. Real foods not processed junk. Buy foods from smaller companies and more local. Larger corporately traded companies are the ones that put the chemicals in the food so you keep buying their product. If you can't stop eating it, it probably is loaded with chemicals.
  3. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

You aren't alone. I have always turned to food as my ultimate comfort. The love that I didn't get from my parents I often found in food. Usually cookies or cake. I enjoy healthier options, but I often feel unfulfilled because I have become so addicted to unhealthier options and sweets. Its a daily struggle like any addiction. I hope you are doing better in your journey!
  4. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I'm exactly the same. I love food there's no question about that and then when I'm nervous I eat like crazy and doesn't matter what it is I binge like crazy. I'm not overweight and I don't tend to worry about it since its only on those rare occasions but once it gets to the point where you find yourself eating like that all the time then it could lead to further issues.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

You need advice since we need to be cautious about unwanted weight gains. Find a substitute to the foods to like the most and try change your eating habits. It is you to practise yourself before it gets worse.
  6. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Get addicted to eating celery! Lol just kidding but there are groups and such that would be able to help you out with your problem. My tip for you is to drink a lot of water! The water will fill your stomach up so you won't eat as much. The thing is many people mistake dehydration for hunger and eat stuff rather than just drinking. Maybe you could pass this on to your friends as well!
  7. I am addicted to food. It seems worse when I am stressed. I always turn to food and then end up feeling worse afterward. I don't understand why I do it because I know it is only temporary but for the moment it seems to ease my emptiness.
  8. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Have you tried looking for a healthier hobby to take your mind off of eating? Maybe a quick jog, or vacuuming the carpet? Anything, really, that can distract you?