An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

"I can" and "I will"

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Daniel Lucky, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Never feel like you can't stop using. Never feel like you'll always be down and dependent. A positive attitude goes a long way. Start constantly reminding yourself that you can and you will overcome this struggle. I myself have relied on substances to make me feel good for a long time. Once I started believing in myself and reminding myself with positive reinforcements, I started putting more effort in my sobriety and this lead me to stay focus on staying sober. I did and I know that you can so please believe in yourself. Good Luck!
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Daniel,
    This is good encouragement. I have always been told, never say that you can't do something in life. You can always do something in life. Some things take longer and you need daily affirmation that you can do it. I am glad that positive reinforcements have worked for you and I believe that they can work for others, as long as they or someone else believes in them.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I can and I will, are contradictory, because the former expresses to do while the later imply one may do.

However, a positive attitude does help one achieve goals, it's like the mental starter for a human to spark action towards one's goal(s). More importantly, it's what one is being positive for, that ultimately counts in the end.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think the saying that's most apt for the situation you describe is failing to see the forest for the trees meaning that when you are lost in the forest you start to panic and only see clumps of leaves and branches and you fail to see that a forest is just individual trees in a group, but if you calm down and step back you gain more perspective to see that getting out isn't impossible. The only problem is that when you are in that state you start to believe that you will be in that state forever and almost no amount of outside perspective would make you believe otherwise so it really is up to you and your own mind to drastically change that perspective.
  5. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

Always remember that you have a choice and an opportunity in every struggle. There will always be hardship before peace, but what matters is what you do in the face of that hardship. You always have a choice, even if you do not see it yet.
  6. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That is such good advice. I know so many times, whether it is an addiction or another life issue, we tend to almost expect to fail at something that is really hard, and that is why we fail. If we keep reminding ourselves that we will succeed, our chances are so much better and we will have a positive outlook.
  7. dolittle94

dolittle94 Member

That is exactly what it comes down to, 'I can' and 'I will.' The difference is that anyone has the ability to quit, but you have to find the will to actually do what you are capable of. Once you find the will and reason, then it helps you get through the tough parts of quitting and helps you hang on to your resolve.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Will power and confidence goes a long way in life and sobriety. That's for sure. You can have all the support in the world but without confidence the cards are stacked against you.
  9. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

If you don't want to change and don't possess the will power and confidence to change and be healthy, sobriety is going to be rough. Always stay positive and make it happen.
  10. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

You are so right, a positive attitude is so very important and can be the one thing that keeps you motivated. If you think you will never do it then the chances are, you won't. But being the little engine that could will really keep you positive and focused on your important goals and get you through your tough times.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Happiness is definitely a choice. It's already in our own hands how we are going to deal with life, whether we're going to try overcome our problems or we're going to let them drag us down. And yes, always remain positive no matter what.