An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I cannot stand cigarette smell anymore

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by integrity101, Feb 24, 2016.

1. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

I used to be a heavy smoker until a year ago when I was hospitalized for diabetic complications. My hospital stay was characterized by bouts of incessant vomiting that left me in a pretty bad shape. I never touched a cigarette again after I left hospital. In fact, my mind began associating the smell of cigarettes with throwing up. I still get terribly nauseated whenever I smell cigarette smoke, so much that I now have to quickly get away from a smoker lest I throw up in public. I can't even sit next to a person whose clothes smell of smokes. Do I need medical help or will the problem wear off in time?
  2. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Me either and that is the truth. This is one of the reasons why I decided to quit. I knew I wanted to not have that cigarette smokers look, cough, skin, and smell. I knew it was not right to be this way anymore. I think having the habit remind you of something so very unpleasant it helps with quitting.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't see what the problem is, I don't doubt that most people if offered the chance would accept those side effects with a drop of a hat if it meant that they would never smoke again.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's a good thing for you @OP because you never will be tempted to smoke again. I have a friend who told me he had to stop smoking after he was hospitalized for something unrelated to smoking. When he got better he couldn't stand the stench of cigarette smoke. That was 20 years ago [when he quit] but his dislike for the smell hasn't changed.

While that may wear off, I don't think you need medical help.
  5. Kolyenno

Kolyenno Member

I can't stand the smell, either. That's why I avoid smokers bars and clubs.

Still, when my aunt comes to visit us, both her and her fiance smoke. Heavily. If they stay for a week, the whole house will reek of smoke for another whole week, no matter how much you open the windows or wash the curtains.

The stench just sticks with you. I absolutely despise it.
  6. Joethefirst

I'm surprised that she smokes inside the house, most people don't anymore or at least will try to smoke near a window if they are in somebodies house that's not a smoker.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

When I was smoking, cigarette smoke provoked my cravings. Now that I don't smoke, I also cannot stand cigarette smoke. Second hand smoke is as bad and smoking a cigarette.
  8. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

You will be grossed out for the rest of your life by that smell.
    Think of it this way, when you smoked and you didn't smell it, everyone around you still could!
    So you walked around all day smelling offensive to every non smoker you met!
  9. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I'm so glad to hear people are allergic to smoking they found so precious to them. The only reason for the irritation is because you have been on that road before and we are glad you are off it. Best thing is to avoid the smell and the people, take mint gum or sweets with you so that when irritated, you could help yourself from throwing up.
  10. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I think the side affect is worth the fact that you have just added years to your life. I second darkrebelchild's recommendation of chewing gum or sweets, it could help a little. I've never smoked cigarettes but the smell evokes such a negative feel, it's not a nice smell after all. Just staying away from smokers is pretty much all you can do. I doubt there's much in terms of medication that you can take for that but perhaps there's something out there. Good luck and at least consider yourself lucky and be proud that you successfully quit smoking!
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I think that you are lucky to have no cravings anymore. Your mind is in sync with your body in revulsion to cigarette smoke. This is a defence mechanism that will rule out the possibility of a relapse. I sympathise with your diabetic condition but now that you have stopped smoking, you have a whole chapter of fulfilling life ahead of you.
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I can't stand the smell of it on my hands. I'm still a smoker, but when I get a wiff of it on my hands it smells terrible.
    I hate how it makes everything smell so bad. From my clothes to my car. It totally reeks I tell everyone please don't smoke nothing good about it only bad.
  13. Joethefirst

I agree, I am still smoking and it can really stink. Just bringing your hand to your face after smoking can really be a bad experience. Nicotine addiction is a terrible addiction.
  14. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I wish I could be repulsed by the smell but instead its luring to me. Its a welcome scent for me. I cannot say if you will ever get past the sickness you get from the smell but I would suggest wearing a mask that covers up the smell you could spray your favorite scent. Or you can use scarfs. I hope it will get easier to endure on your part.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Cheers to that! I understand where you're coming from because I've been there too. You often see people smoking with abandon in public places where there are children and sick people. Now, smokers can choose to smoke however they want to but they also have a responsibility towards their fellowmen. They know the bad that such a habit can bring about so the least they can do is keep the smoke away from non-smokers. They would do well to smoke in secluded places be it with fellow smokers or with only themselves.