An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I can't lose weight!!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kana_marie, May 7, 2015.

1. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I've developed certain mental illnesses lacking vitamins and only eating one meal a day, basically becoming like an anorexic with an eating disorder. I had physical pain too and I couldn't cope and I became delusional and lost touch of reality, please be careful, it could be permanent as I feel it has been with me.
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Permanent is rarely a word I want to hear. I hope yours isn't permanent! I suspect the epilepsy is permanent, though. But it's pretty calm for the past year or two
  3. kylerlittle

Unfortunately because I was at a very young age, I wasn't eating healthy at all and not only was I eating one meal, I would exercise excessively which made me lose unbelievable amounts of weight in a month or so, I lost a lot of vitamins that my body needed and it was hard to recover because of fear of gaining weight if I had to eat normal. Now everyday I am quite delusional and my mind isn't in well condition. This is why I advise you to do it properly.
    kana_marie likes this.
  4. kana_marie

I really appreciate what you've said here. The health department opens shortly, and I'm going to give the nutritionist a call. It isn't like it will hurt anything, regardless of how the conversation goes.
  5. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Are you an emotional eater? I only ask because I know I am. I try to stick to a pretty healthy diet but when I am having a rough day or become sad I usually turn to food as comfort. It seems to derail my entire weight loss plan. I know its the one reason why I am stuck at the weight I am. Its the hardest thing to control.
    kana_marie likes this.
  6. kana_marie

Know exactly what you mean! When i get angry or nervous, so bad that I can feel it in my tummy, I'll eat to make me feel better. I'm trying so hard to curb that, and I have gotten better. Unfortunately, though, taking some medicine that would actually help that is no longer an option for me. It isn't about the doctors or anything else... I just can't trust ME.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe try to do some other exercises than walking. You can have a workout routine if you would like to try too. Having a consultation with experts might help too like to the nutritionist and a trainer in the gym.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I've the same problem, mostly because I'm eating the wrong foods, I can't drop sugar, I've a glucose issue, I retain liquids and I have to take hormones :(

I think your problem is that you are eating the wrong types of foods, and your body is into starvation mode... because your diet is low in calories. You didn't say how low, but you said you only eat once a day, so I guess it's under 1,200 calories a day.

Basically starvation mode is what the body does when a person consumes very few calories, the body retains all the fat it can, because on starvation mode storing fat is important. Since the body thinks food is scarce, so storing fat is a must in order to have enough energy to survive.

You should see a nutritionist. He or she will tell you what to do, sounds like you need to learn more about nutrition.
  9. kylerlittle

She will probably tell you to eat more than you have been, but she's a professional and suprsingly our body burns more calories than we think without us doing any exercise, don't worry, you will get through it.
  10. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Work on loving yourself and building your trust in yourself first and foremost. You should be proud of the fact that you kicked the habit. You probably don't give yourself enough credit. The rest will fall into place. When you are feeling better about yourself internally you might find that your external view of yourself might change as well. My mom was a tweaker who is now clean and just can't get the skinny image of herself out of her head from her drug days. She looked like death but she was skinny and that's all that she seems to remember. While the rest of us see her now with some extra weight and think she looks great and are so happy she is alive.
    You are healthy and clean and that's the most important thing.
    kana_marie likes this.
  11. kylerlittle

Yeah that's very important and I would also add to not care what others around us think and say about us because it's very important that we run to those who value us for who we are and what we will be rather than those that make us do an effort to love a fake version.
  12. kana_marie

I honestly believe that I could take posts off this site and put them all done in one book together. And it would be better and a lot more right on than any doctor could write.
  13. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I say stick to the walking, and dare I say, even without much change in diet, you should see the pounds start to melt off. I've gained quite a bit of weight here lately due to some challenging life situations (plus the fact that I've never met a cheeseburger I didn't like, lol), but I know from past experience that walking is a miracle cure when it comes to losing weight, just stick to it.
  14. stariie

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you both. Walking works!! I'm living proof of that. I've walked off a lot of weight a couple of times in my life so far; the first time was on accident when I was on vacation with my family. The second time was on purpose due to the knowledge that I gained from walking and losing so much weight the first time around.

I had no idea that walking would make a person lose weight, but I went on a family vacation years ago, and when we got to our destination, my vacation time basically consisted of eating, watching soap operas, and walking around everywhere with my cousins.
    Next thing you know, a lot of the fat that I had on my body had melted away like magic. I was stunned. Who knew daily walking could make me shrink and make my jeans fit so well and so nice?
  15. kana_marie

I originally got the walking idea from Jared who loves Subway. And Micheal Moore is doing the same thing. But considering your a real person, your experience is actually more meaningful than a man who gets paid to say it.
    stariie likes this.
  16. stariie

It works girlfriend. I have weight to lose now, but have been being kind of lazy about walking, quite frankly, but I know from personal experience that walking can tone things up nicely, your butt:D and your legs:) will thank you. Your stomach will too.
    Of course the more you walk, the better it is. Also I noticed that walking on a sidewalk gives you better results than walking on a softer surface like on a school track.

You wrote that you take your dog out for 30 minutes (I think it was); if your dog is in good shape, make the walk an hour. If the dog is not in great shape right now, take the dog for 30 minutes, and then go walking with your own self for an extra 30 minutes. You will be amazed at the way your body looks in a couple of weeks to a month if walk an hour a day.

Walking makes weight melt off of your body, trust me. I totally need to get back on my walking program, because walking had me in great shape. Using weights a couple times a week to tone your arms is a great addition to a walking regimen.

Also check out the "Walk Away the Pounds" videos on youtube, and dvd reviews online. I haven't tried the "walking inside the house via dvd" route, but many people love it.
    kana_marie likes this.
  17. kana_marie

All of my dogs at in pretty good shape ( other than a couple getting old and grouchy). The 2 males, though, it seems like more of a jog than a walk. Lmao
    I was wondering how I should go about increasing it. I go to the first of 2 bridges every morning. I was thinking about going to the 2nd bridge. It's almost twice as far. But now I'm thinking about possibly taking one of the dogs and swapping them out, and taking another. I don't want to bump it up too much at the same time. But maybe going for two walks back to back, and in a week or so starting to go to the 2nd bridge each time?
    stariie likes this.
  18. stariie

Lol, more like a jog than a walk? I've had dogs, so I know what you mean:).
    I think it is a good idea to work up to going to the second bridge, like you said, not bumping things up too much.

Do you usually walk 2 dogs at the same time? If so, if walking to the second bridge is your goal, I would maybe walk 5 minutes past the first bridge then turn around and come back home, doing that for about a week, to get the dogs familiar with the new routine.
    Then the next week I would increase the walk to 10 minutes past the first bridge, and back. 3rd week, 20 minutes past the new bridge and back. By the end of a month you'll have eased into a new routine and be walking to the second bridge and back. But this method takes patience grasshopper;).

If you want to up your walking time right away, you could take one dog to the first bridge, bring him back home, and immediately go back out and walk the second dog to the first bridge also. Or you could just walk to the first bridge once in the morning with one dog, and once in the afternoon with the other dog. Swapping them out, as you say. That way you can double your walking time without adding time on to the dog's walking schedule until you're ready to do so.

Did I totally just basically write the same thing that you already wrote that you're going to doo_O??
    I need some coffee:).
    kana_marie likes this.
  19. kana_marie

Lol nah, yours is much more detailed and well thought out.

I have 5 large pit bulls and a baby who won't use a leash yet. And out here in the country there's no sidewalk to walk on... To buffer us from the huge log trucks. If I ever try walking more than 1,then I'm either suicidal or relapsing
    stariie likes this.
  20. stariie

No sidewalk to walk on:eek:? That's pretty tricky. I hope you're walking somewhere super-safe (in spite of the huge log trucks!). Do you have a backyard where you could just throw a tennis ball around and have them play catch a couple times a day?

All together I've had about 10 pits, 5 of them were babies from one of my grown pits. I miss those dogs because I don't have them anymore.

It's a good thing that you walk them a lot, because one of my "if I had it to do over again"-s is that I would exercise my dogs more.
    When I had them I lived in a place that had a communal backyard, you know, where everyone's back door opens up on to a large grassy area, and none of it is fenced in. My dogs really needed their own backyard. I had some issues with them fighting each other in the house that I think would have been solved had I exercised them a lot more and helped them burn off all of that excess energy that pits tend to have.

I can understand you walking one dog at a time.
    I used to try to walk my two females together, and it was... interesting:).
    kana_marie likes this.