An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I can't lose weight!!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kana_marie, May 7, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

They have a huge fenced in yard to play in so they get pretty good exercise . I won't let them play in the house so the younger ones are out there playing or jumping straight up and over the fence. They like to explore. Did your eat your shoes like a normal dog, or did they leave the shoes alone and eat the house? My first was Bowser and he would smash through windows and destroyer yards trying to get in if e left him out, or vice versa. But since then I have witnessed these dogs eating the floor (literally)...the entire side of a hollow door, up halfway... Entire couches...
  2. kana_marie

image.jpg

There is a yellow on the far left, named Buster
    Little Miss, bendi, bro, and bowser on the far right.
    stariie likes this.
  3. kana_marie

image.jpg
    This is her not taking crap from anyone!shes the black and white fuzzy ball
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Eating up the furniture is really serious. I would think that more exercise would be the answer, and exercise on a schedule at that. If they are getting tons of exercise, then maybe some professional dog training lessons wouldn't be a bad idea.

Also, ever heard of those wraps that go around dogs during a thunder storm (I forget the name right now)?
    I'd get 5 of those for your babies too. That might cure the "destroying things" tendencies. Dogs have anxieties, they can't tell time, minutes feel like days.

One of my females used to chew on a door to get out, shards of wood everywhere. Because I didn't have a cage for her I would put her in a spare empty bedroom. She didn't like it. Keeping in mind that dogs can't tell time, so an hour in the room might as well have been 2 days for all she was concerned. Poor baby:(. I miss her so much.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your dogs:). Your dogs must be really mild mannered, because I could never feed my dogs together.
  5. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Absolutely, that makes sense and I think it's not doctors that determine it you know. Doctors sometimes would lie because of public pressure or job position, but it's well to look at the facts and what's going on in life, there's a lot of deception spreading.
  6. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

What is your definition of a low-calorie diet? What is your height, weight, age, gender, and daily caloric intake? Also, do you know what percent of your calories are coming from fat? It can be a hassle at first, but counting your calories is the best way to lose weight. As far as exercise goes, how far are you walking per day and how quickly are you walking? If you want to lose weight badly enough, you should consider doing more than just walking.
  7. kylerlittle

That's not the right way to go. You should of read a lot of her posts which clearly state that it's a problem and we're not here to encourage a problem, we're here to solve it.
  8. Rob93FL

How is finding out a correct diet and workout plan for her the wrong way to go? I have trained a lot of people in my four years of bodybuilding. I know exactly how to gain weight, lose weight, and maintain weight. How exactly do you plan to solve the problem by not addressing the lifestyle changes that need to be made?
  9. kylerlittle

I did not say what I said because you're not knowledgeable in that specific field. I said, if you bothered to read the posts you would find out that she has a type of eating issue where it's not necessarily her aim to lose weight, it's close to anorexia and she is eating as little as one meal a day which is absolutely unhealthy, and you said she should walk more and "count" her calories. In fact, anorexic people should NOT by any chance be allowed to "count" their calories because it's destructive and they struggle of obsessions. What you did was not helpful, but I do not hold it against you, you perhaps didn't read the posts.
  10. If what you are doing isn't working, it's time to change it up. Change your diet or change your exercise or both. If you are already eating low-calorie, then up your exercise. Add more cardio so your heart rate goes up and burns more calories.

I'm not a doctor, but I've gained and lost weight numerous times. It's normal to reach a plateau where nothing really is changing anymore, but you need to climb that by pushing yourself. If you've tried everything, then perhaps you should talk with a doctor. They may be able to figure out an underlying medical cause.
  11. afeenicks

afeenicks Member

I have a friend who had the same issue. After getting clean, she ate healthy and exercised daily and still could not lose much weight. We finally convinced her to go see a doctor. After her check up, he told her that she was in fairly good health and suggested that she replace all drinks with water. He also told her, while exercising she should try and get her heart rate up. Walking is good, but jogging is better. She made those two changes and lost 25 pounds in 4 to 5 months. I also think you should eat more than one meal a day. You should try to eat several smaller meals throughout the day, but your first step should be to go and see your doctor.
  12. Rob93FL

I read through every post before I commented; I never comment before reading through a thread.

Perhaps I'm completely missing it, but I don't see anything that screams "anorexia" in any of the posts. With that said, I'm not qualified to diagnose anyone with any diseases. All I'm doing is offering advice on how to lose weight, which is exactly what she asked for. Considering a lot of other people have offered, and are still offering, the same advice as I did, I'm confused as to why you picked out my post.

Counting your calories doesn't mean limiting your calories. I also agree that she needs to eat more, but it helps to see it all on paper so you know exactly what you need to eat throughout the day. I'm counting my calories right now while I'm in a caloric surplus. Counting your calories means finding what percentage of your calories are coming from fat, carbohydrates, and protein. If she's not eating much and is still gaining/maintaining her unhealthy weight (which she said she's ~30 pounds overweight), chances are that she's not getting her calories from the right places.
  13. kylerlittle

I am so sorry if I gave you the impressions I'm picking out on you out of all posts. Not at all! I think you make really good points since I myself did lose weight and what you said is good advice. All I meant was to say that what she was saying is an indication of an eating disorder and we shouldn't encourage the sign of "I can't lose weight" that she said. She needs help because she is eating way less than she is supposed to and that is going to make her ill like I did, according to my own experience, I had to respond to you because I know if I was still ill, I would be influenced by what you said because eating disorders can be influenced by what people say and things to do with weight loss and encouragement of eating less and working out. Working out is not always good and eating less is not always good if you know what I mean, but you give good advice, but that good advice is for someone who is healthy in their mind. Do not misunderstand me because I picked your post specifically, I apologize for any misconceptions.
  14. Rholm

Rholm Member

When nothing else worked for losing weight for me (I don't gain weight easily, but I don't lose it easily, either) what worked best was a low-carb diet. Extremely low carb, ketogenic or atkins diets are best for this. The exercise is extremely beneficial but working my diet around staying in ketosis for just a month helped me drop around 10 pounds, if not more. This was without any exercise or calorie regulation. Regulating your calorie intake while staying within healthy macros will allow you to enter ketosis, which means your body will start releasing ketones. Ketones convert fat directly into energy for use by the body, which allow you to burn off fat directly and rapidly. However, this means you should up your intake of fat as it's being used as the body's primary energy source due to the lack of carbs. Being ketosis is also shown to be good for the brain and for the reduction of symptoms in mental disorders.
  15. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Traning is the key. Don't waste your time in useless products or something like that just pick up your trainers and go running! I bet that you'll come with some less weight after 2 hours spent running :) Never stop sweating when you want to lose weight!
  16. Just go for some body challenges and the guide fitness which will guide your body to have a weight loss and yes, never stop sweating when you want to lose weight.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Maybe you should try eating more fruits and vegetables. Your metabolism could be slow, you should look into ways to speed it up. I think more natural ways of doing this would be better. The pills your taking could be the cause also.
  18. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Are you getting your water intake in? Water can make a big difference too. When did you start on your weight loss journey? If you just started, it will take some time. I am thinking that maybe some of it is your muscles building. I don’t care for the scale because it seems to just show my weight going up and down. I measure first by my clothes. Once I start fitting my old clothes again, I will then see what I weigh.
  19. Min

Min Active Contributor

I agree that eating just 1x a day is really unhealthy and will force your body to save up resources (=fat) until your next meal. Sensible breakfast, midmorning snack, sensible lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. Lots of water and watch what you're eating. No "saving" calories (ie - skipping breakfast and lunch to indulge in a huge dinner) on a regular basis. Once in a while is fine, of course. But you can't do this and expect to lose weight.
  20. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Once again it is best to explore your diet and exercise options. Don't give up as there is something that will work for you. I found walking really helped me lose a lot of weight quickly and cutting my carbs. Each to his own. My sister has cut carbs and eats according to the blood type diet. This works for her. You might want to look into this.