An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I could do with a drink...

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by pwarbi, Apr 15, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I was trying to quit alcohol, well, or cut down at least I often found that the first few day's were the easiest for me, which seems to be the opposite to most people. I had a drink on the saturday night, woke up with a hangovr on the sunday and thought I cant go on like this so decided to stop. The first week was fine, even the following weekend it really didnt bother me as much as I thought it would.

The following week though i'd had a really bad day at work and for some reason I got home and I was all of a sudden craving a few beers. Eventually it was that bad that I had to go to the shop and get some, it was like I couldnt get it out of my head and couldnt settle until I'd had a drink.

Does anybody else get affected this way? Don't people usually have cravings at first and then they wear off?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When I was battling an addiction, it was easier to stay off the stuff the first few days. Actually a week passed by and I thought I was heading somewhere then one day while I'm in a park I hear some people talking about the fun they had the previous night. Just hearing them talk about it made me fall.
    I suppose getting through a week or two shouldn't make someone too confident that they've "made it." It gets harder to fight the cravings the longer you stay without a "fix."
  3. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I don't think what you experienced is unusual. Heck, you hear about those in AA who have been sober for years even and then the urge to drink becomes unbearable at some point and they slip.

You found one of your triggers and hit it. Now it's your job to figure out how to avoid that trigger (like reducing work stress) and/or how to cope without the alcohol (like maybe exercising or a movie, etc).
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, in my experience, the cravings never wear off. That's why they say, "Once an addict, always an addict." You can quit and you can control it, but the craving will always be there. I only drink once a week now, but that doesn't mean I don't crave it any other day. Part of the problem is that we used drugs and booze as an escape mechanism, so every time we feel lonely, depressed or bored, the first thing that comes to mind is having a drink. Why? Because it worked before and your body and mind knows it. The mind usually sticks with what works.
  5. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It could happen both ways, as you described in your post. The good thing is that you are aware of the situation and now it is your choice whether you are willing to deal with it or not. the sooner you do it, the better it will be.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Being aware of the situation isn't a shame, to be honest. Not many people reach this step and deepen themselves into weird stuff. If you have sufficient motivation, but preferably more than that, you can achieve your ideal, that of completely ceasing drinking. Good luck! We're here for you whenever, don't worry.
  7. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

Sadly, the urge doesn't ever just wear off. It is not until you go about handling the cravings that they will go away. Often, if you tell yourself that it is not absolutely neccessary to have a drink or remind yourself of the dangers of a hangover you will be able to handle the craving.

Try falling in love with something else or try out a new hobbie. You will find that you even forget to crave alcohol.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that a person needs to be aware of how much they consume as if they drink more than they can handle, it can make the person sick inside and throw up which I have seen when adults try and drink more than enough which can be dangerous. Sometimes trying something new or minimizing the stress can be helpful as when a person is stressed they may turn to drinking, which uses money and time which could be used anywhere else doing productive things. I usually drink a couple times a month as I am busy with other things and have a family so, I try and do things which don't stress me out and try new hobbies so I don't have the urge to drink that much which can take time to do.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

After a bad hangover it is easy for me to stay away from alcohol, and then I forget about how nasty I felt and had the urge to drink again. I now only drink a glass or 2 of wine at a time because I don't feel horrible afterward. I have been able to maintain that.
  10. Rex

Rex Community Champion

It will get that way sometimes im afraid.Once alcohol takes hold of you its hard to get it to let go.
    All I can say is that you have to get back on the horse and try again
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It probably has to do with that bad day at work. This might have been what triggered you to drink. You probably just needed some stress relief. This isn't unusual. The best thing is to find a way to relieve stress after a bad day, that might help.
  12. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

There will always be temptations. Bad days like those would be the test of your resolve. Will you fall or will you stay strong. The feeling of satisfaction after staying sober and being able to beat the temptation is better than the guilt that will come after falling off the wagon.

Stay strong. :)
  13. MNyte

MNyte Member

This is due to lack of that stimulating gratification from using what it is you are addicted to. Your dopamine intake levels deplete, causing you to crave more, and want more. But, in reality, you become more addicted each time you DO respond to that request from your body. Have some self-control and refrain for over two months, and you will notice the difference. Just shun drinking every day, and explain to yourself why it is bad.
  14. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Seems odd to me. When I was seeking rehab from my alcohol addiction, I noticed that my first few days without it were actually the worse, then it gradually went better with time. I'm grateful it happened that way, to be honest, else I don't know where life would have brought me.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

There are triggers that happen when you used to drink alcohol during certain events in your life. If you had a bad day at work, or were sad about something and had a drink to get rid of the pain, those triggers for alcohol will happen when you are no longer drinking because you brain still associates alcohol with pain relief.
  16. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I get that. I find that I'll go into it with the right mindset but I'll end up letting my guard down later on down the road, making things harder.
  17. daosasoriza

daosasoriza Member

Try to find something to distract you from drinking alcohol. Perhaps look for a hobby. Or instead of drinking, whenever you have the urge to, go to the nearest gym and go exercise. I think that might help.
  18. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

In my experience, the cravings never really wore off. I did combat this by finding things that would distract me from drinking alcohol. Some stuff included playing sports, playing games, and other things. Exercising is a great way to get your mind off off alcohol! The worst thing is probably when you get triggers during certain events in your life. These will cause you to break and go back to it. Do your best to fight it though!
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You are describing something that is a very intricate occurrence. This happens with food and prescription drugs. There are chemicals in the beer or whatever you've had. GMO's or chemicals in foods. I eat really clean, no processed and so forth. I go long periods of time where anything other than the usual does not even occur to me, because I don't consume it. One time having pizza, or a cocktail. The urge to have it again is terribly overwhelming. Like I feel completely like I just have to have more of it. There is something that is not right with that. These companies that manufacture this stuff just want money and for everyone to keep buying their stuff. I think once it is in your system it drives you like a slave to have more. It does seem to work along with stress too. It is like it activates it or something.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's just that the brain has learnt to connect stressful feelings with having a drink. The brain thinks that alcohol is the only thing that will relieve the stress so it keeps nagging you with cravings.

That's why it's sometimes not enough to simply quit drinking. It's always sensible to consider the reasons that got you drinking to excess and looking at alternative ways to deal with them.