An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I could do with a drink...

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by pwarbi, Apr 15, 2015.

1. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I don't drink or smoke but have heard from people just how hard it is to stop when addicted. My best friend is an alcholic. The says when she does not have a drink she hurts. I cant even imagine what she is going through. I feel so sorry for her. She was molested by her stepfather and as a result this is how she coped with it. . She's been in and out of rehab and been told not to have one drink. I can only pray for her.
  2. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Being aware is important. Like most people here have said, this is all just your mind coping with the world without altering itself with a substance, it will pass in time. Be strong and don't hold yourself prisoner to your emotions, you will get through the day just fine.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I only drink once a year or sometimes less... once in two years. I think I have gotten over my addiction to alcohol already, so when I am stressed I tend to find solace in eating sugary things or foods high in carbs. I no longer feel the need to drink alcoholic drinks when I'm sad or stressed :) It takes a while to make that transition, but it happens after a while... specially if you (like me) realize your body can no longer handle alcohol the same way it did before.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that there could always be temptations not just cravings. Specially if you are surrounded with friends or relatives who are also drinks not just casually. It will be really great if you can find reasons and motivations to stop drinking much.
  5. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Well, addictions certainly are hard to break and you have learned that now! It's all a mental game, you CAN quit and not buy those few beers you think you need. But you may be slightly weak minded. Eventually with enough determination you will be able to train your head to not think of beer when your stressed. It just takes time!