An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I Could Not Sleep Without Drinking.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by muthoni, Dec 2, 2014.

1. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

My ex- boyfriend introduced me to the alcohol drinking world. Over time, I drunk more and more. At one point, I could not sleep without taking several drinks. Since I did not have a job then, I drunk during the day as well. There was a time I fell into a ditch full of water when I was drunk during the day. When my boyfriend broke up with me, I drank even more. I was car jacked while in a public bus going home in the wee hours of the morning after a drinking spree. I asked God there and then to help me overcome the problem. Today I have been clean for ten years.
  2. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Good for you! I'm really sorry that you've been through all that, although I'm sure your experiences have definitely made you a stronger person. I'm glad you overcame your problems and have seen what alcohol does to people. Hopefully, you'll be able to share your experiences to other people so they don't follow the same path, or to give hope to people that need help currently.
    muthoni likes this.
  3. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I remember those days of my life when alcoholic beverages were the only cure for my insomnia. God was the one who helped me overcome as well so I can attest to that, his grace and power is good enough to change any situation, he is the ultimate cure.
    muthoni likes this.
  4. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Muthoni, the problem is you are making drinking sound like your excuse when you run into not-so-good circumstances. Even when your ex-BF introduce you, it's your choice, your control, your option. There must be a pretty good reason why alcohol ran deep into your mind. Something painful.
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

bourge_21, Muthoni said she has been clean for 10 years now. She just backtracked as to how she got into alcohol. She seemed to have realized her mistakes as she asked for God's intervention to help her.

Congratulations Muthoni! I also believe that when God intervenes, all else will fall into its right place. Obviously too, as you prayed and asked for His help, it was clear you were decided to take control of your alcohol addiction. And God has been helping you since.

Carry on with your quest! God bless you more!
    muthoni likes this.
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I commend you for staying clean for all those years and God has really been merciful to you.Thanks for sharing your story and i hope many more will be touched by it and change for the better.
    muthoni likes this.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

That's wonderful, muthoni. Ten years is something to be really proud of. Alcoholics often think that after a three months detox they will be free of the demon alcohol, but that's only the very beginning. For many it takes years to readjust to a life without drinking, as they viewed it as a "medicine" and used it for everything that was going wrong in their life.
    It took me a long time to psychologically deal with all the "debris" inside me after giving up drinking. It's now almost 22 years ago since I had my last drink.
    muthoni likes this.
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

That is wonderful news and proof that it can be done! It is not easy but it is possible to live and normal and healthy life after alcohol. Congratulations and I hope that your life is good, happy and peaceful.
    muthoni likes this.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Congratulations on your success and I wish you well on your road ahead. I'd just like to ask if you have found any of the underlying issues you might have had that pushed you to drink. I think it would be very educational for us all to know about these things so we can solve our problems in a more informed and pragmatic way.
    muthoni likes this.
  10. bourge_21

My apology for the rather, unintentional comment. At any rate, I salute your commitment to that redemption. May God bless you always.
    notodrugs likes this.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really good to know that you managed to get rid of that alcohol addiction and keep it up! :D
    All is possible with determination and commitment to change for the better. You can serve as an inspiration to other who are also in your situation before.
    muthoni likes this.
  12. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Honestly speaking, I did not start drinking because of a problem. My ex-boyfriend introduced me to a world that was new to me. I just did not understand my limit. When I broke up with him, I guess that I wanted to prove to myself that I was much better on my own. I thought that I was having so much fun when I started to drink until I would black out. I am so thankful today that I did not get physically hurt as a single woman drinking alone.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Very true. It really isn't very safe for women to be getting black out drunk alone in public and I also think you are very fortunate not to have anything further happen to you. I'm also glad that you at least didn't have much deep seated issues that caused it because from what I understand those are much more difficult to diagnose and correct. Good luck with the future and keep strong.
  14. bourge_21

What do you mean by "much better on your own"? Just asking. I am happy though that you let that experience go.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Much better? In as far as drinking is concerned or something else?

Hardly matters though. Those days are in the past but this should be a lesson to those who might want to try something because their SOs are doing it. In fact considering the fact that such relationships tend to end badly it's much better to get yourself out of them fast.
  16. gokoko

gokoko Member

Amazing story, thanks for sharing! It takes many people years to even begin to overcome addiction, but you proved that change can happen much faster with God's help and changing the way we view alcohol. Instead of a pleasure inducer, it becomes a life destroyer.
  17. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Bam, another victory story we can all be inspired from! Thanks for sharing your truly sorrowful but enlightening story muthoni. As for your ex-boyfriend, well, glad you got rid of that unhelpful punk. Also, I'm grateful you chose to get clean and stop drinking ethanol beverages, because that lifestyle is overrated.
  18. Miles Hansen

Miles Hansen Member

Congratulations for sobering up! You rock! I was a heavy drinker, as well as a substance abuser until about 2 years ago: Got into the scene a bit early, and luckily I got out early as well. I know how hard it can be, so know that a random stranger somewhere thinks you're awesome! Keep going at it, you're an inspiration to us all.
  19. diamond

diamond Member

I can't tell you how happy I am for you! Your story is similar to mine I a way, but I was introduced into drinking by my parents at a young age. It took me a little while, but in the end, you and I both won the battle vs. Alcohol! I hope others read your thread, there are some great motivational posts in here!
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Ten years that is great. You are no longer this person. This story is no longer yours. It would be great to hear your new story.