An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I deprive myself

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kana_marie, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I would suggest starting with small attainable goals. Use these goals to increase your self-esteem and feelings of self-worth. Try to not to commit to anything serious, relationships, businesses, etc. At least until you are secure in your relapse prevention plan, and you have found some really great coping skills to help with the stresses that are going to eventually come up from time to time.
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

A lot of people feel deptived when they start out on the recovery process. Mainly because they have given up the partying, which would eventually lead them to use. There is alsothe situation in which you may have to stay awwy from most of your friends because they ar users. There are even circumstances in family get togethers where you may not feel a part of the celebration because you are not drinking.

It is really a lifestyle change. You don't have to be deprived of fun. You just have to find activities you like doing that don' t involve using, friends that are supportive and non users. You will eventually gain the ability to celebrate snd be a part of the celebration with a glass of nonalcoholic beverage. It gets better once you reach the right state of mind.
    Zyni likes this.