An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I drink every day...

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by DaniMiranda, Oct 24, 2014.

1. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

I used to drink more, binge drink, even. 12 step programs, rehab, all say the same thing. Quit all together! I have done well since then. Now, it's just a small bottle a day (not the larger one) and at home, only. I feel it's in moderation, the daily drinking, that is. Professional advice and medical advice would simply advise me to not even have a glass, considering my history. But, realistically speaking, and from a real-world perspective, what do you think? Is a "controlled" drinking environment such as mine, is this too much?
  2. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

I guess it depends on how much of an "issue" the drink was. For some people a small bottle a day will be fine, for others it could be a real issue. I guess it depends on how well you can manage yourself and your environment. If you have a fridge full of drink then it might make your approach difficult.

And as a recovering alcoholic once told me: "I drink is too many but a thousand is not enough."
  3. Brox

Brox Member

One small bottle a day is not too much. But you are at risk. Especially because you were in rehab, and you had a problem with alcohol. You should stop drinking completely. Because, it is dangerous that one bottle a day becomes two, three, or seven. I know that alcohol creates a strong psychological dependence. So if you need to drink, you are not totally healed. Maybe you are not aware of it, but you need to be careful. You have only one life.
  4. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Do you feel you could go without your small bottle per day?

If so, I think you are okay. You know your own limits and addictive tendencies. If you are able to have a drink every day without issue, I don't see a problem.
  5. Brox

Brox Member

Yes, of course. I do not drink, I do not smoke, and I am not using drugs. But I know what it is. So not all people are the same. Maybe you can drink one small bottle without bad effects. I just say that you should be careful. You are certainly great person, and I wish you all the best.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it will ultimately be up to you to gauge if your behavior or dependency is becoming inappropriate or not. My advice would be to not be so hard on yourself and realize that almost everyone is dependent in some way on something that's ultimately bad for them, whether it be TV or fast food, etc. the real trick is just to be able to incorporate it into your life in a way that it doesn't obstruct you from functioning and your happiness. If you feel that even at that rate it is making you feel problematic then maybe it's time to reconsider.
  7. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

Ultimately it is up to ourselves and the willpower within. every day is a struggle because I know that every day I have the potential to be that crazed alcoholic one the point of no return has crossed. However, I test the waters regardless. I feel as if I can handle it this time, each time. But it only takes that one time.
  8. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I heard this in rehab, and I love it cause it so describes me and many others out battling booze. "ones to many and a thousand not enough. So basically the first one will lead to more and more. In my case I just don't do it at all. Many people self medicate with drugs and alcohol. That was my cause I abused it to no end. It numbed me out exactly what I wanted it to do. Then you have people that drink very little and have control. They can take it or leave it, these people clearly aren't medicating so I would say they are safe for now. Addiction can happen to anyone it's just that simple.
  9. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

I love that saying! It is so real. I live it every day. The truth is the only way to combat addiction is to just say no...and mean it. That in itself is a bigger challenge than just not opening the bottle .
  10. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

I'm not a "in moderation" kind of person so I know for sure that that wouldn't work for me. I'd just be tempted to increase the dose more and more and before I know it, it'll be a real problem. I don't know if that's going to be a problem for you.... I just know that for me, it definitely would be.
    lindybon likes this.
  11. kaerfaima

kaerfaima Member

You should have stated the amount you intake everyday so we could give you a better advice but we'll still try. You should try lessening the amount of what you drink everyday for a starter or maybe skip once a day. That would be a good start. Then skip more days or lessen what you intake more and more until you stop maybe or up to the point where you can say to yourself that you are in moderation of your drinking habit. Good luck to you. It may take time. you'll need determination and support from close family, relatives or friends to help you with this.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Drinking a cold on in your own home is not "too much". You are at home and safe. You are way under the legal drunk levels. So you're fine. Just be responsible. As long as nobody gets hurt, it's all good.
  13. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

@kaerfaima I did mention the amount, I said I drink one small bottle per day. The skipping of days has helped me on occasion. I tell myself that I can hold out till the weekend. I try distracting myself when I get home from work with either the laundry or cooking dinner. After work is most difficult, it's as if my urges can sense the timing almost exact. I do say to myself though, if I can go an entire 8 hours (while at work) then I can go another 8 when I get home. That's been my strategy these days. It seems to work, as I have been skipping days as you mentioned.
  14. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

All addictions, are merely sensorial habituation or customary practices, people enjoy inducing in their bodies from external factors e.g. drugs. In my opinion, using prefabricated external help therapies can only influence a man or woman to change their ways to stop using drugs, because truly the only thing that will ever allow thee to stop doing any addiction, whether bad or good, is thee. It also revolves around one's perception, which is created from one's senses, impressions, memories, and feelings from one's experiences with drugs - it's like once one had gotten used to walking, one no longer wish to crawl anymore. So in short, addiction to alcoholic beverage drinking, is a mental and physical happening - one's surrounding environment in relation to one's real attitude, are the prime factors that influence one to drink alcoholic beverages, which psychological marketers know this fact very well.

Addiction is so strong, because it is a inherent aspect of the nature of humans, thus is why the fastest way one can rid their self from a unhealthy addiction, is by adjusting their self to a healthy addiction - primarily, change begin when one is aware and understand the relationship one has with one's addiction i.e. do you drink because you are repressing a traumatic event in your life, have no sense of direction in your life, or does alcoholism plays a role in your social life? Simple reflective questions, in my opinion, will go far in how one can diminish or stop their addiction to drugs, because a change in one's environment can only help so much for the addict is still the same in mind.
  15. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

All in all, it is self -control that matters. It is not much an issue that you drink every day. The problem lies on getting addicted to it. The rationale for quitting altogether is to prevent you from having any chance of getting addictive again. If you are confidence about your self-control, just do what you like; otherwise give it up to save troubles.
    Winterybella likes this.
  16. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

do you know what addictive personalities are and have you ever had an addiction? Thank you for taking the time to reply, but i don't think that just "giving up your troubles" is going to work here. It's easier said than done, believe me. It's also not about self confidence. These addictions people face are far much deeper than that.
    Winterybella likes this.
  17. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I think it is alright for you to drink a small bottle a day provided you have self-control yourself. Never fall into the trap of drinking another small bottle will be fine for you. If you are still worrying about it, you may try drinking it alternative day.
  18. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

At first glance, you would think a small bottle is harmless, and it is to many, but for me it is the gateway to the another one...then another. Alternating days has truly helped me, believe it or not. Spacing out the days has helped to give me more control.
  19. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

If you really want to stop then you are going about it in the right direction. If your history with alcohol is so bad then its better to wean yourself off then it is to try and go at it cold turkey. Now all you have to do is maintain control of yourself and the situation and continue to consume less and less. You can go from one small bottle a day to maybe one every other day or a small glass a day what ever you fell happy with that you know wont send you down the wrong road.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think just small bottle a day will just be fine, better than drinking a lot or being alcoholic. :)
    My grandfather used to drink small bottle of beer every night after dinner. It was his way of being relaxed or just have a taste of it and not to be addicted to it.