An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I feel the need to write.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by BP3312, Aug 7, 2018.

1. BP3312

BP3312 Member

I have been struggling with addiction for most of my life. I've been to five rehabs and one court ordered treatment that lasted a year.
    I still can't stay sober and don't know what to do. I keep trying to stop but can't. I know I need help.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Hello and welcome. Thanks for reaching out. Perhaps if the rehabs are not helping you to stay sober, it's time to come up with a new recovery plan. What are some other things you're willing to try? Have you gotten yourself to a good therapist? Have you committed to say 6 months to a year of counseling? Have you tried twelve-step or support group meetings? How about a recovery coach? Are you educating yourself on addiction and Recovery? Have you built up a positive Support Network? Have you dealt with underlying issues like depression or anxiety or past trauma or abuse? Are you feeding your soul inspirational and motivational things daily?

This might sound like a lot but the road to recovery looks different for each person and it's up to each person to figure out what will help them step by step day by day. I realize that recovery is a long-term process and it's step by step. It's progressive. It sounds like you're ready to get and stay on the path to sobriety, that's wonderful. Know that we're here for you and that we will root you on the entire way. Take some time to read Around the threads and become involved.

Keep in mind that we are not therapists, but we will certainly offer our insight and advice. Feel free to share anytime.
    lonewolves likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hey, @BP3312... I responded to you in another thread. Here's what I wrote in my comment there:

<<Welcome to the community, @BP3312. I'm sorry that you slipped up in your recovery, but I'm glad you came here and told us about it. It sounds like you had a good stretch of sober time under your belt, and I know you can do that again if you are willing to work at it. @Dominica has given you some excellent suggestions: Rehab, counseling, support group meetings. All of those could help you. Maybe you could try an intensive outpatient program (IOP), too. There are a lot of tools available to you. You just have to seek them out and commit to getting clean again. I know you can do it, and we are here to help you however we can. You are not alone.

If you mix willingness and hope enough times, you can find long-term sobriety. So don't get too down on yourself. Just take the steps necessary to get back on the right path, okay?

Sending you tons of hope and encouragement.>>
  4. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@BP3312 Welcome to the community and know you are not alone, Addiction is a son of a bit*h and as addicts most times there is some underlying trauma,the reason I said that is because in your other post you said "Addiction is a disease but the pain is in me"Whatever that pain is I know from experience the only way to start to heal is to release that "pain"I am a recovering addict who abused multiple substance's for about 20+ year's I was dead on a hospital table once and by the grace of god and the plea of a nurse my heart started back up right before the white sheet was pulled over my face,alcohol, meth,heroin,oxycontin,etc and after nearly dieing several time's and out of no where a suppressed memory started coming back which I believe is what drove my self destructive lifestyle, I don't remember the complete incident and I don't remember exactly who but I remember enough to know someone did thing's to me when I was very young that an adult should never do to a child and a person should never do to another person against their will......Anyways I started sharing my deepest agony and my hopelessness on this site,I remember crying for month's as I would sit and type,I still have time's to this day where I just start a new thread and start typing,I do it because like you I need to write. I encourage you my friend to open up a little bit here,at your pace.There is no judgment here,everyone here cares,there is no hateful responses by anyone on this site,everyone in this community only seeks to help one another heal and everyone cares.If you will tell us a little bit more about yourself, your drug of choice,how often you use,and how much do you use?This will help us in supplying encouragement and advice. YOU can beat this addiction and you can begin to heal from your pain,it's not easy but nothing worth doing ever is.You have taken the first step in recovery my friend just by admitting you have a problem, and it would be my honor to help you as best I can with what I can.Stay Strong and God Bless
    deanokat likes this.