An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I have been taking antihistamine

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by platwitt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. platwitt

platwitt Member

I am one of those unfortunate guys that has a lot of allergies, my most irritating allergy is dust. I can't clean my room without allergic symptoms after. I also used to work in a factory and dust is just all everywhere. I've been taking antihistamine lately, it is very effective. I love the side effects though, I feel drowsy and just weak and that floating sensation, I loved that feeling. I think I have been taking more than what I need. Any advice will be appreciated.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

This would require more than a firm decision to stop taking more medicine than you need to.

Just as with any addiction, you'll need to start at the very bottom and work your way up. Admit that you're powerless over antihistamine tablets/capsules or whatever form it is . . . and move on from there. Any addiction IS hard to break so if a strategy works then go for it . . . I'm referring to a 12 step recovery program. That would be your best option.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This is tricky because you actually need the medicine and are only enjoying the side effects. I would recommend just going to the doctor and letting him or her know about your situation. I'm sure they will be able to suggest alternatives so you wouldn't get so used to the drowsy effects of your current prescription.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Dust makes me sneeze a lot too but I have not had a severe allergic reaction to it. I just have make sure my room is clean and not full of dust while hanging out in it. I take allergy relief which its the over the counter kind Walmart brand Equate of Benadryl.
  5. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I'm just like you I have many allergies. I mean I don't see what you need advice on though, unless you're implying that you don't want to become addictive?
  6. Profit5500

Yeah I hate dealing with allergies all day. I have to always make sure that I am ready to deal with the dust. Dusting around my room helps and I am less reluctant to want to let the dust stick around. I am not lazy but I try to not refrain myself from the dust since you are going to see particles often.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

It is agood thing, that you have realised that you do have a problem with the antihistamin that you are taking, I would say that you start reducing your own dosage and stick to the doctors dosage and work your way from there,if it is difficult for yo to do it on your own ,then you can seek help.
  8. Profit5500

Everytime I took allergy pills I never had much of a problem. I only get drowsy when I took the medication. I see the bendryl allergy pills helping me most of the time since that stuff really hits you.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I suffer from allergies as well, and I've been only the loopey pills also. If the dust affects your eyes, then there is other forms of antihistamines like claritin or its generic version that does not make you drowsy.
  10. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

I would ask the doctor to change the prescription, as nice as all that feels it is dangerous for you to work or drive if you feel like that. You certainly do not want to take more then you need. It almost sounds like you are having a bit of a reaction. I thought antihistamines made people feel jittery, not sleepy and loopy. You sure that is not a decongestant? It is very possible you are allergic to the medication, you should mention to your doctor how it makes you feel.
  11. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

Typically, the antihistamines that make you the most sleepy and loopy are broad-spectrum types. Several of those are over the counter. A more targeted antihistamine might be a better choice - there are eye drops if you're having eye reactions and nasal sprays for instance. You could also try a netti pot. Some antihistamines pills are more targeted and don't create the loopy feeling - you might consider asking your doctor for a prescription for one of those. Common OTC antihistamines that are usually non-drowsy include Zyrtec and Allegra. Look for "non-drowsy" on the label.

@Mockingbird - I think usually antihistamines make people sleepy/loopy. Decongestants, like the kind that are OTC but now kept behind the pharmacy counter are the ones that typically make people feel jittery and sleepless. The D-version of some allergy medications (like Zyrtec-D instead of straight Zyrtec) has both antihistamine and decongestant.
  12. ZackeyMane

ZackeyMane Member

If you get so affected by the dust, can you not wear eye protection and facial masks? I'm sure you've already thought of this, though.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

That's funny, you like how it makes you feel. There are plenty of homeopathic remedies. You can just go to a vitamin store and ask. Sublingual or capsules. Allergies are actually an interesting subject. I've not really had any of that problem much. I've watched other people suffer. A year or so ago I had hay fever. I used a sublingual natural method it worked really well. I just did a big detox the last couple of months and had no hay fever this time.
    I've recently just learned of a theory about allergies being psychosomatic. Like your mind makes your body have these symptoms. It's interesting.
  14. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I know that when I was taking this medication all the time, I was having the same feelings. However, I quickly found that when I started to take the medication on a full stomach that the problem was vanishing. So I have to admit, that is what solved the issue for me.
  15. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

Try checking out natural remedies. I use one called Querectin (not sure on spelling) for my allergies and Reishi Mushroom pills for my asthma. Nasocort and Flonase nose sprays will also help reduce swelling in your nose and sinuses, without giving you any side effects or highs.
  16. xpictoc

xpictoc Member

Supposedly Spirulina, a green algae species, may help in high doses as a natural antihistamine agent. I take some in addition to my regular antihistamine medication and it may have helped as my reaction to allergens is less severe now.
  17. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

If you are taking it when not needed to get that feeling. I'd say you should think about alternatives sounds like you could be creating a new bad habit. This isn't good at all no joke stop doing it before it's to late.