An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I have no one in my life who isn't an addict.

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by LaraLara, Jun 28, 2015.

1. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

So,
    when I quit smoking weed, at the time everyone in my life was addicted to the stuff. I mean, barre none, my mother, my father, my best friends, my old friends, friends of friends, ex boyfriends, you name it...

It was very difficult for me to quit, especially because if I did, it would be pointing out flaws in my surrounding community, and people don't want to admit flaws within their own behavior. I did manage to do it though, after several years of trying, it took me about 3 years of trying to quit before it became obvious that my mental health was severely deteriorating, and mad it obvious to people that it wasn't healthy to smoke drugs at the best of times, let alone when your mentally unwell.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with weed, as I saw before on a post, it's generally seen as not that much of a big deal, but when you smoke it from an early age, and your exposed to it all the time, if you don't cope well on it, do you think everyone else has a responsibility to help you out if you want to quit, if they really are your friends?
  2. llfsa

llfsa Member

But of course! Friends are supposed to be supportive of your decisions, especially when you are trying to get out of a seriously bad habit which severely affects your life. I understand how hard it can be when the only people you have in your life are also addicts, that's a very tough situation indeed, but I want you to be very selfish (in a good way) for a while and really take the time to think about your current situation and actively seek out help for helping you clarify all the doubts you might have.
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Sounds like a difficult situation you were in. Understandably it would have been difficult to stop using marijuana when everyone you're surrounded by, is also using the stuff. I've never experienced the exact same problem you had to endure. I was addicted to ecstasy but most of my friends and family were very supportive of me. None of my family were substance abusers and neither were the friends that were helping me.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @LaraLara! :) I actually commend you for having the courage to try and sober up despite being surrounded by people who also use Marijuana. It was a really brave act for you to have done it even without support.

It would be wonderful if you meet new people who can influence you more on living a sober life and encourage you to continue on with your fight against addiction. It would also be a way for you to start anew. Having fresh new people in your life would help you see the world from a different and wider perspective, away from the life you used to have with your family and friends who did drugs.
  5. I'm a musician and I'm quite active in the local music scene where I'm from. And as you can probably guess, about 80% of the community are avid marijuana smokers. I myself do smoke as well, but I'm trying to quit because I'm about to graduate college and I'd like to make a change in my life. Most of my friends are in the art community and they are full of well thought out excuses and rationalizations about smoking weed. I guess it's really up to me to make the change. :)
  6. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

It can be very difficult when it feels as though the people who you are surrounded by are not able to help you with your addiction. For this reason, have you ever thought about perhaps joining a different social group? One that could help you more? Even if you just sign up for something like a cake decorating class, you are much more likely to find people who aren't addicted, and you can then spend some time with them instead and learn how to live your life in a much better and effective way, without your addiction having to take over like it has been in the past.
  7. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

The world is so vast. There are many people who are good and likeminded. Make new friendships. First create a positive activity for yourself. Join a job, be productive and exhibit what you are through your actions to your mom, dad, brothers, and friends. Let them take a cue from you and resolve to get rid of their addiction. This way you will discover the true joy of life.
  8. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Wow! that is bad I really feel for you. I live in a place that sounds like that. Everyone here is a drinker among other things. Best of luck to you I know it's a bad place to be, but endurance will be a friend to you no doubt.
  9. Mr. Grammar

Mr. Grammar Member

I feel the exact same way when it comes to this topic. For a long time I would smoke weed and think of quitting but could never bring myself to do it. Eventually, I met a girl that I really ended up caring and vice-versa. So I gave it up for her. Happy to hear you were able to beat it!:)
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really not "not a big deal" when everyone around you is addicted to it. More if their have been damaged already on their mental health and overall health because of the addiction. It is good to know that you are able to get rid of it in your life even everyone around you are users. You can serve as inspiration for them as well to finally quit.