An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I have to wonder if she was drunk?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by frogsandlegos, Jun 24, 2015.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

A teacher in my school district was recently fired for a FB post. It was extremely inappropriate and hurtful. I am glad she got fired, but I have to say I'm almost shocked that someone would believe what they wrote, and much less put it on Facebook!!!!! But, the more I think about it, I just have to wonder if maybe she was drunk?

I have never gotten drunk before, so I don't know. Is it possible that drunk person could write the wrong things on Facebook?

Or, when you are drunk do you have neough common sense to not put horrible things on social media?
  2. Sevrin

Sevrin Member

It's definitely possible. When your drunk you usually still have the ability to do certain things, text, communicate, etc. But your inhibitions go away, so man have I seen some messed up drunk texts or posts on social media. It happens all the time. So yes, it is entirely possible she was drunk, but I don't think that really matters since a drunk person just posts their inner thoughts anyways.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

The stuff she was posting was probably stuff she’d been holding in, until for whatever reason she just couldn’t hold it in anymore. So yes, drunkenness is a possibility, since it does lower inhibitions. I’m sure some of us have experiences with drunk-texting or drunk-posting, whether on the giving or receiving end.
  4. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

She might be, or it's possible that she just had a lapse in judgement without being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You can only stretch an elastic band so much before it snaps, and a teacher is no exception. However, this was very unprofessional on her part as an educator. If this is a common occurrence when she is drunk, then she should take preemptive measures to ensure this doesn't happen.
  5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Ever heard of drunk dialing or drunk texting? Oh yeeeah it can DEFINITELY happen! LOL.
    In this case it could be possible she just had a nervous breakdown or snapped or something however and just had to vent. Not professional by any means and I agree with her needing to find a new job now, however, we must remember that we have ALL made mistakes and it sounds like she made a mistake.
  6. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

Being drunk kind of makes you loose your inhibition, so you can end up releasing all those hidden thoughts you had while sober.

I know I once went into a chatroom I had quit a long time ago and told everyone how much I actually hated most of them, all while drunk out of my mind.

So yeah, it happens.
  7. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Did you regret it or did it feel good to get it out? Just curious.
  8. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

It is quite possible that she was drunk, people tend to open up and drop the filter between the mouth and the brain. They feel that anything that they do will be rational, no matter how ridiculous or obscene it is.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that your teacher might have been simply overloaded by her work, personal life, or other factors. It's so easy to do something "stupid" when you had a few drinks too many. Perhaps she long harbored a subconscious wish to get fired. Maybe she wanted to move on with certain things in her life for some time but didn't know how. The sad thing is that she had to hurt herself and others before her wish was granted.
  10. btatro

btatro Member

This is a thought that has run through my head quite often, and I am sure most of the people in question were, in fact, NOT drunk. The problem is that people seem to lose their critical thinking skills before posting on social media. They for some reason view social media as a closed circuit, when, in fact, it is incredibly public. When something is posted online, I was taught to evaluate whether or not I would want the whole world to read it- my job, my friends, my family, everyone. If so, post it. If not, don't post. Anything posted can be made public in just a few short steps/screen shots/word of mouth sharing.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Can you tell us what she wrote?

But yeah, I did a lot of bad things when I was drunk. Majority of the time I don't remember doing them. So I can see how this might have played out. He/she might of gotten drunk and hit up facebook and said some rather brash comments.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Oh, yes, I've posted some very stupid things on social media while drunk. I really hate sites like Facebook and Twitter. I have accounts, but almost never use them, because I'm not that social, and don't like having an online diary of my life for everyone to see.
  13. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Alcohol can be responsible for a great number of things, and one of these is saying things that you might not really mean, to people who you definitely shouldn't be saying them to. I do perhaps wonder if losing her job was really fair, but then again I suppose they have the right to hire and fire whoever they wish. It just goes to show, though, that if you have this type of problem with alcohol, you really should consider your stance on it, because it is clearly having a negative impact on your life.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

If you are drunk you should stay away from all cell phones and computers because some people will drunk dial and post the most stupid and harmful things because they feel empowered by the booze. I have been the recipient of a few drunk dials in my life and normally they are offensive or the person is saying what they think I want to hear because of the fact that they have had a little too much to drink.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It depends from person to person. I personally don't just go and spread hurtful words while drunk. But some of my friends do, and they regret it so badly. This could have also been the case of your teacher.

She should have been more responsible. You can't just spread words like this on a social platform.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not been drunk but seen several people being drunk and they seem to lose control of themselves when they are drunk. I also have a friend who told me that when she was drunk, she feel she can do anything even shameful things. Those things that she does not taught capable of doing when she is not under the influence of alcohol.
  17. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It could be what you said, sure, but it could also be a moment of weakness she had encountered. There are so many variables to take in account that get you so confused, and it's understandable. Just don't go in the worst case scenario, like you are doing now. It won't help you at all. :)

Cheers!
  18. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

So,she got fired because of that post on Facebook? Literally?
    It is quite possible that she was drunk while writing that post on social media.
    A person that is drunk is doing stuff without full consciousness.
  19. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It could very well have been the case because when people are drinking they are not full conscious of what they are doing. They do things that they later regret but by that time the damage is already done.

It could, also, be a case where she was not thinking about how quickly things spread on Social Media. Some people think that because they have their settings set that only their friends can see things that nobody else will see it. It only takes one person to see it and pass it on to somebody else before it is out there for those people to see that you never intended to.

Once it is out there online there is no taking it back and you have no control of who may copy and paste it and share it with anybody they choose. People don't think of the consequences that may follow.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think she may have had unresolved issues and voicing it on Facebook may have seemed like a good idea, but it got her fired and maybe she regrets this while drunk and must have been insulting. I reckon that a person should be careful what they write on Facebook as you never know who may look at it and report it to someone and that can lead to problems. Someone she knew or from the school may have seen it and she could of been talking about school, and giving secrets which could be harmful to the school.