An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I just ordered my first drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jasmine2015, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

So recently I was invited by friends to a really nice restaurant. I was asked what types of drinks do I like and I said I wouldn't know, I never ordered my own drink before. The waitress asked for our ids before ordering and she explained to me how each meal has a pre picked drink in case I didn't know what to order. I ended up getting a sangria. Drinking might be one of those things I might do with friends on a night out but not at home alone.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Good for you, that is how it's supposed to be done... with food, in moderation and to enhance the experience :) As long as you don't do this often and you manage to control yourself every time, I see nothing wrong with it. Have fun, I'm a former alcoholic myself and drink once or twice a year on special occasions, in moderation and to enhance the social experience, as well as enjoy the dinners more ;)
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is actually good, most of people who drink heavily are used to drink when they are on their home alone, and I personally think that starting drinking alone is pretty dangerous. So it's cool that you see alcohol as a way of convivence, if you do it consciously and responsibly can be a good thing :)
  4. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Now there's some discipline you've demonstrated there! Alcohol, sangria specifically in your case, is supposed to be drunk just like that: at a round table, with family and/or friends, and of course in moderation. Good for you, most people crave to have your degree of self-abstinence. :)

Just a little curiosity of mine if you don't mind me asking: What were you served that night? I know some recipes that work well with sangria if you enjoy the drink and wouldn't mind sharing with you and anyone for this matter. :)
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, just remember to always keep alcohol in the background as an enhancement to your life, and don;t live for it. That is where peopele tend to get in trouble when they use drinking constantly as an outlet or a celebration. They are always making excuses to drink.
  6. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Its usually fun to go out and drinking with a couple of friends once in a while, but don't over do it on the limit. Just a small glass if fine in my opinion. You need to loosen up a little once in awhile and have fun.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also don't think there's anything wrong with having a few drinks when your out with friends, as long as it stops at a few.

Sounds crazy but sometimes not drinking at all can make you want to drink even more and more regularly as you feel like you don't have that release or a break what I think we all need once in a while.
  8. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

My problems with alcohol started when I decided to drink alone instead of facing life. My advice is to never ever to that. Drinking with friends is ok every once in a while, in moderation just to hang out. Beware of those people that can't find anything to be fun if there are no alcohol involved and you should be fine.
    Jasmine2015 likes this.
  9. Villiam

Villiam Member

I could not have said it better myself. Drinking is a great thing, when done in the correct environment. When you start drinking alone it tends to start developing into worse habits.
  10. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Drinking with moderation on an evening out to dinner is fine. I agree with previous posters, that drinking at home alone or otherwise is when people start to have a problem. An occasional drink with dinner on an evening out is acceptable.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Be careful. It will creep on you and when you least expect it, you will turn to it more often. Anything you can't handle in life you will turn to alcohol, so just watch yourself.
    Rainman likes this.
  12. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Just do it in moderation and make sure that you don't drink alcohol on an empty stomach. And as much as possible, try to discipline yourself when you're drinking with your friends. Sometimes, we tend to drink more when we're out with friends because we don't notice the passage of time and the amount of alcohol that we consume.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I also advice caution. Most people who now are can't stop drinking initially started drinking once a fortnight, only when they went out and it wasn't long before they started needing more and more of the alcohol. While drinking while dining out occasionally isn't bad, when it gets to be a habit, you'll find yourself on a slippery path leading to a really dark abyss.
  14. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Moderation is a responsible way to drink but caution must also be put in place because friends do influence and once they know you are a newbie, they like to take charge and you could gradually go over limit.

Just learn to make up your mind by following the menu, not all suggestions are good for us.
  15. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Moderation is the key. You have to be responsible and not let it get to the point where it controls you. There is nothing wrong with going out and having a few drinks with friends.
  16. pwarbi

Not everyone who's an alcoholic started out having a few drinks here and there and it slowly crept up on them. In fact in the rehab centre where I've worked I'd say very few let one or two drinks here and there, slowly turn in to a full-time addiction, and most of them drank purposely every day because they wanted to get drunk to either forget or number the pain they was going through for one reason or another.
  17. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, I would recommend you to drink this stuff in a moderate amount. You need to control the 'higher urge' to drink alcohol directly. You sound like a man with very high self-control and that why do not need the stuff when you are at home. You can do this with your friend but as you have enough self-control to resist the temptation to drink when you are alone, everything is perfect perfect because enjoying the stuff with your friend just once in a weekend will not do any harm. :)
  18. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Cheers....:D.
    just keep it all in moderation and everything should go fine.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Good for you, social drinking is widely accepted but not habitual drinking. I'm glad that you have a good head on your shoulders.
  20. pwarbi

Having a good head on your shoulders and keeping it are most important when it comes to drinking socially. Most people have had too much to drink at least one time in their life, it's up to you to make sure you know when you've had enough, and if you do then social drinking can be fun.