An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I know about Alanon, but what about for NA?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by romananthonysmama, Jan 19, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I know they have Alanon (sp) meetings for those who have family members that are dealing with alcoholism. However, do they have meetings for people that have family members dealing with narcotics abuse? Would you just go to an Alanon meeting anyways? I've been to Alanon, and the people were absolutely amazing, but I was wondering if they had meetings like this directly related to narcotic use, especially with the rise in it lately. I have a lot of friends whose family members would really find this beneficial. Thanks so much!
  2. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

They have Nar-Anon. To be honest, all of the steps in the programs are the same, the only difference is the "word" that makes the person powerless. Step 1 could be "I am powerless over alcohol (drugs, money, food, gamling, etc)." Addicts, no matter what the vice, all have the same symptoms and reactions. They will all consume themselves and their families. They may lie cheat and steal to get their addictions met. So whether you go to Al-anon or Nar-anon, the people there understand what you are going through.

http://www.nar-anon.org/
    KNH and romananthonysmama like this.
  3. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I would recommend checking out the previous poster's link - http://www.nar-anon.org/
    I know two people who have benefited from it. They both went with a trusted family member and learned steps and techniques to overcome their addiction. On the other hand, I do know of one person from their class who relapsed and thought the group meetings made their addiction more intense because it was a constant reminder of "what he was missing". Overall, though, I think Nar-Anon could be beneficial for most people since there are people who live with the same struggles every day.
    romananthonysmama likes this.
  4. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

Thank you so much to both of you! I honestly was never aware that there was even a Nar-Anon, but it really makes sense that there is! My main worry would be that there may not be a lot of people who attend. With the surge of heroin abuse in my town, I'm sure that a lot more people may presently attend, but I remember when I went to an Alanon meeting, it was very small and congested. I'm hoping that maybe Nar-Anon will be bigger and more comfortable. Though I do have to say, the people at Alanon were more than friendly and helpful, so hopefully at Nar-Anon they are as well. Thanks again everyone!
  5. thedino89

thedino89 Member

I have been looking for something myself. Al-Anon is primarily for alcohol and Nar-Anon is for drug abuse? Those programs are basically the 12 Step program for the coping relations correct?
  6. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I think they do have ones for drug abuse. From what I've been told and seen, I strongly believe their help can be very useful for both the user and the family/friends.