An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I like to drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by primalclaws1974, Nov 29, 2014.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I have drank all my adult life (I am 40). I have drank off and on since I was 17. I have drank regularly since I was 25. Usually I get drunk once a week. This is the way it's always been. Nothing bad usually happens. In the last decade I have had no incidents at all. I drink quietly in my home, but I do get drunk. Does anyone see this as an issue that needs fixing?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Who am I to say that you have a problem? You are a responsible adult within the confines of your own home and not hurting anyone. Although we don't see it now, alcohol will play a factor in your health sometime down the road. So please be careful.
  3. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

You say nothing bad happens, do you get hungover? Are you spending a lot of money? Do you feel bad about your drinking? Is it interfering with other aspects of your life? I think you have to reflect on these questions and decide if you think it's a problem. No one here can tell you yes or no. I agree with the above poster that it could be causing health problems that you are unaware of so that is something to consider.
    Novelangel likes this.
  4. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I don't know who you are, what your personality is, or how easily you form habits. I don't know how drunk you get either. If you think you have a problem or that it's interfering with your life, definitely talk to a professional. If you're still concerned, talk to your friends and see if they notice any major changes when you drink or go sober. Agreeing with the posts above, stop drinking if you find there are health issues.
  5. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

By how are you describing it, you don't have any problems in your life, with your family or others... You just drink like anyone else would do. I do drink too, and get drunk twice a month more or less. The only thing you must be aware of, is about your health. As soon as you start feeling sick or something because of the alcohol, stop it immediately.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Excessive consumption of anything becomes an issue. Eventually. There are health risks linked with excessive consumption of alcohol. Getting drunk once a week implies that when you drink, it's not a beer or two you chug down. Much as I'm not judging you, I think your drinking certainly is an issue which ought to be dealt with.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It doesn't sound like you have a problem. You're just enjoying yourself and as long as it doesn't come at the expense of yourself and your responsibilities then I don't think there is cause for concern.
  8. LaurenChaste

LaurenChaste Member

I think you just like to enjoy it. I don't see a "real" problem in that.
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That's 13 years of drinking albeit not constantly.My only concern is for your health in future and whether you,re doing anything to mitigate the effects of long term drinking.
  10. primalclaws1974

To answer your questions, no I don't get hung over. Once in awhile I will get a stomachache the next day. I spend $15.00 a week on alcohol. So, not it's not bankrupting us. It does not interfere in life. Every time I decide to get some beer, I ask my wife if it is okay, and she is genuinely okay with it. I cannot say that it won't cause health problems when I'm 60 or 70, but since it's not an every day habit, I tend to think I will be okay. But who knows for sure?
  11. terrainna

terrainna Member

I'm not sure how much alcohol it takes for you to get drunk once a week, but that sounds decent to me. You aren't harming yourself or anyone else. I personally believe it is good for your stomach to have a drink every now and then. People think I'm ridiculous when I say that but that was the bible says and I believe it lol.
  12. primalclaws1974

Although I would like to agree with you, terrainna, I cannot, at least not completely. A small amount of alcohol is good for your circulation. A small amount of red wine is good for your heart. But this is one or two servings. If you drink a lot more, it can have the opposite effects. It takes me a large amount of beer to get drunk, and although I am in decent health now, it might change, who knows. I have read consistent drinking for 10-20 years can damage your liver. I am in that range. As of two years ago (my last blood test), my liver was fine, so I try to rationale that I could not have destroyed my liver in only two years, since it takes 10-20. It is an excuse, I am sure.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also do not think that you have a drinking problem already. You said you have not have any accident/incident and you are just drinking quietly in your home. Which I think are signs of responsible drinking and not yet an addiction.
  14. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

No I do not see a problem with this because I am the same way. I will admit that it became a problem for me when I was about 23 and I started to let my anger control me when drinking. I was out of control. I would drink a whole bottle in two days. Sometimes I would drink alcohol with no juice or drink, just straight on the rocks. I realize where my life was headed and it wasn't in a good direction. Even though I still drink today, I am nothing like I used to be. I drink at home quietly just like you and also get drunk as well. There is nothing like drinking and listening to music because this is what I do to relax. The holidays are coming up so I want to make sure I have something to drink. There is nothing wrong with drinking as long as it has not caused any problems for you. You don't need help or anything you are just being normal.
  15. LifeM1

LifeM1 Member

None of you should listen to people who insist drinking at all or the act of getting drunk is a problem. Alcohol is a legal substance to be consumed at your own discretion. So long as you aren't making yourself physically or mentally sick through excessive consumption, you aren't doing anything wrong. I personally like to make cocktails once or twice a week and kick back to help myself wind down. Sometimes I'll take breaks if I have a bad hangover or whatnot. But the fact that I'm capable of choosing to take breaks or the like and following through on my decision is a clear indication that I'm fine and can take care of myself with this.

It's the people who drink obsessively and can't control themselves that need help, not casual drinkers.
    primalclaws1974 likes this.
  16. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Only YOU can determine when YOUR drinking is becoming a problem.
  17. primalclaws1974

Overall, I do agree with you. I don't drink every day. I don't get sick, or mean or violent. I don't get in trouble with work or the law. I don't feel like I am hurting anyone, yet I still feel I am being judged. Why do people that truly don't have a stake in it seem the most likely to try and tell you that you are doing something wrong?
  18. LifeM1

LifeM1 Member

When it comes to people like this it is honestly very hard to say. I'm sure most of them do mean well by it, but a lot of them just can't seem to accept that alcohol consumption is in itself not a bad thing. I can't blame people for thinking that, it's a fair argument that alcohol does nothing for the mind or body. Still, I feel such people need to mind their own business unless they have a good reason to concern themselves with it. Average Joes who are getting a cold beer after work certainly do not deserve a lecture on drinking, or judgmental states.
  19. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

I personally don't see this as a problem. The fact that you drink in your home and don't get drunk is just something that you like to do. You drink once a week, which to me is not a problem. I know people that must at lease a few drinks everyday. To me that is a problem.
  20. kita

kita Member

Yes I do. If you get drunk once a week, I think there's a definite problem. I would say the best way to figure out if you're addicted, is to leave it completely. Why are you drinking so often? Figuring out the answer to that question might give you the answer to this one.