An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I like to drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by primalclaws1974, Nov 29, 2014.

1. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

I drink during the weekends. Sometimes a bit too much but never to the point where I am throwing up or drunk. Buzzed and a few times difficult to walk. And nowadays that never happens usually. Everything in life should be done in moderation. Drinking to loosen up or enjoy a gathering or game on TV is fine. When you are getting drunk repeatedly and it is interfering in relationships, work and life in general then you have a problem.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. downsouth

The only thing I don't agree with is the getting drunk part. And I am not judging anybody so I do not want anyone to feel slighted. I think I am more curious. But what is the point of it ? OP is doing it in his house and that is fine as long as he does not go near a vehicle or do some lewd acts in public but how many people just get drunk in their house ? More often than not they just make a fool of themselves in front of friends and/or family, say wrong things, are not able to make rational decisions (ie driving drunk) and for women they make themselves more susceptible to some type of sexual abuse. I drink every weekend. But I have never gotten drunk. I just don't see the point.
  3. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

We can all have opinions on it, as we'll always see it through our own individual prisms. But you'll know yourself better than we will, and certainly your body will be able to tell you as well. Personally, I would think you don't have a problem. But take some time out from drinking and see whether you feel in need of a drink. Maybe that's the gauge.
  4. rga1999

rga1999 Member

If I had to put my opinion in I would say no. But at the same time who am I to say whether you have a problem or not. I see having a problem as doing things that make you worse as a person, and let you start neglecting your responsibilities. You start doing that then yes, you have a problem.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think it's where people make most of their misjudgments when they start using what society has considered as standard to judge their own lives by. When saying this, I mean that not just because culture considers alcohol to be bad doesn't make you a bad person or necessarily "have a problem" just for indulging.
  6. downsouth

Yea absolutely no judgement either. I get buzzed and slur words when drinking in my home too. Not that often. Once in awhile during the holidays. I have never gotten drunk or had a hangover. OP does it in his house and is not harming himself or anyone else so it is perfectly fine. I just never saw the point of drinking till you throw up or have a bad hangover the next day. I guess some people like to not have to worry about anything in that time frame. They get pleasure from that sedation.
  7. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I used to have a bit of a prejudice against people getting drunk alone, because I was a naive fool who thought that my morals should be universally shared and I fooled myself like this on many subjects.

Is it wrong to get drunk just once a week and not bother anybody? I see no reason why anybody should judge this or give some advice on this subject.

If you're worried about judgment, this forum would not be offering it, that i know of. If you're worried about your health, you should see a doctor for a personalized diagnostic.

That said, the fact that you are asking on this forum shows you are concerned. You should ask yourself where your concern comes from. Is it that you start to see possible addiction problems in your behaviour after reading so much about it, like we all see our flaws when we read psychology books and experiences? Or is it that, even if you judge your drinking to not be quantitatively too much, you still find problem with it for yourself? If its the latter, it could be that, even if your drinking is not above average, it's above what you want for yourself.

In this case, still you mention it, I'd say, try it. Stop it for a while. See if you miss it. See if you are still happy without it. Re-evaluate your drinking and your life. See if you can have the same amount of fun without. Do something different in the moment you usually would get drunk at home.

Maybe you're just getting bored and want a change. Give yourself your best chance!
  8. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Lots of people get drunk once a week, and they drink everyday. I am never going to be able to tell you whether or not you have a problem as not only do I not judge, I do not know your circumstances If you feel as though you may be teetering, maybe keep an eye on it, write down what you drink?
  9. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

The thing about being drunk is if something does go wrong, you may not notice or be too drunk to help. I am saying accidents do happen, like fires etc. People have died in many of these instances.
  10. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I think that is a problem. You get drunk 52 times a year as you said. That multiplied by 10 years is 520 times in the past 10 years. This doesn't account for the times that you might have gotten drunk other than on the weekend. Although it may not be a problem for other people it is a problem for your health. I understand people like to drink once a week, but you say you get drunk once a week. That means you drink a considerable amount of alcohol every single week. I think it's going to affect your health, so I'd recommend maybe cutting that number in half each year.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of people like to drink, myself included and in my opinion it doesnt seem to me like you have much of an issue. I think your drinking pattern pretty much mirror's many other peoples all over the world.

While it's good to ask other people's opinions and get other peoples views, (that's why we're all here on this forum) I think a lot depends on how you feel about the situation. If you feel like you have to ask if you have a problem in the first place then maybe you feel like you do? Maybe it's time to cut back for a while and see how you go on, its will be a lot easier to cut down now than it will be further down the line .
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Based on your post, I don't see any problem with your drinking habits. As long as it doesn't affect your life, then I guess you're all good. You know how to manage it pretty well, that's nice to hear.
  13. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Drinking is not bad but getting drunk may be a problem. Your liver is going to give up sooner or later if you don't stop that. You must take care of your health.
  14. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I need to say that drinking a little is fine, it's even a thing that is socially accepted, the issue is not liking it too much because if we don we might not be able to pass without it.
  15. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I do not see this as an issue that needs to be solved. I actually have started to stay at home more often and only get drunk on the weekend. Most people call me boring now that I do not drink as much as I used to but I do not care. They do not realize how depression has had a major impact on my life and this is why I drank as much as I did. I have had problems with arguments and fighting because of my drinking. Now I stay at home and only drink on the weekends. I don't have to get drunk everyday like I did in the past, but I do get drunk at home. What you are doing is fine since you have not had any incidents.
  16. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

You are the only one who can answer your question about the "goodness" or "badness" of your alcohol-drinking addiction. Down the road, or down the path, you have admitted that your drinking will play up on your health affecting the major organs in your body. Leaving you ineffective in many ways to the chance at doing good. The fact that you had your liver checked.

When you're drunk, how do people-- your loved ones, feel around you? Do they feel "you need fixing" because they love you? I'm sure that your loved ones do care and love you so much but do not have the courage to tell you when you are sober.
  17. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I guess if you're the kind of person who becomes mellow and affectionate rather than mean and aggressive after drinking, it's perfectly fine. As long as you're not harming anyone in any way around you, you could drink as much and as often as you like. However, if you plan on keeping it up, you might want to check with your liver first. It could only take in so much alcohol before it gives out.
  18. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I completely agree with you here Rainman. Drinking excessively is an issue whether you are out and about or in the privacy of your own home. The link I am providing below gives more than enough reasons why Prim should look to deal with the problem before it escalates further. If only for his health I think he should address the issue.

http://alcoholrehab.com/alcoholism/dangers-of-drinking-alcohol-alone/
    Rainman likes this.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

As long as you can do it in the comfort of your home and don't interfere with others, I wouldn't say you have a problem. Nobody can tell you anything if you don't hurt others.
    I honestly appreciate you do this at home and not in public/bars, for example. If you did it there, I would tell you have a problem.
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

I'm on the same boat as you. I used to drink every chance I got, but these days I only drink on weekends, and usually alone in my house. I, personally, don't think it's a problem. I mean, we do need to escape from time to time. It's not like I want to become a monk or something. Now, if you ever got to the bottom of the barrel on alcohol at any point in your life, I'd suggest not drinking ever again.