An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I like to drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by primalclaws1974, Nov 29, 2014.

1. henry

henry Community Champion

I'm on the same boat as you. I used to drink every chance I got, but these days I only drink on weekends, and usually alone in my house. I, personally, don't think it's a problem. I mean, we do need to escape from time to time. It's not like I want to become a monk or something. Now, if you ever got to the bottom of the barrel on alcohol at any point in your life, I'd suggest not drinking ever again.
  2. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

In all cases getting drunk is harmful to your health, to say the least. Yes, it might not be as bad as getting drunk too often and hurting others, but you should try to minimize it. I don't say stop drinking at all, just know how much you can take and don't push the limits that much. Your body will thank you for it.
  3. bavinnie

bavinnie Member

Well lets look at this logically first, large amounts of alcohol the amount that it would typically take an adult male to get drunk, like you are doing is indeed harmful to your body, if you aren't doing it daily then to be fair it won't be AS harmful but damage is still being done, but to be fair you say you typically don't get hung over, it's not effecting your finances, you don't get violent or hurt yourself or anyone else or by the sounds of it, even do anything wrong at all. So on that playing field we can say, it's not that bad if it's not making you self destruct. But the question you should be asking is why are you asking others opinions on the matter? Do you feel scared that it might impact you negatively down the road, or do you feel some sort of guilt about it? If it is indeed making you feel uneasy then it may just be best to cut back or stop all together, if you can live without it, it would be the safe road
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Had I not been keen on tasting delicious food, it would have been easy to give in to alcohol. As it is, I look for taste and satisfaction from something that can fill your stomach properly. I've always found alcoholic beverages rather bitter and nauseating so at present, I drink them sparingly. I can down a few glasses of red wine but I always hold myself in check. Addiction comes in only after you've decided to make drinking your habit. To erase an old habit, particularly when detrimental to the health, people are advised to create a new one.
  5. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

No you do not have a problem. There is nothing wrong with drinking when it doesn't affect your life or other peoples. I drink more than you and do not feel I have a problem or addiction. It does not affect my life at all negatively at this point. It sounds like you are being very responsible, I would not think twice about your drinking habits, unless you feel a desire to change them.
  6. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

If you think there's no problem, then it's all good. But just think about the wasted money and time you have spent drinking. You probably could've already bought a new car with that.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Even though I'm one to say that you should be free to do what you want as long as it doesn't harm others, I still think you should take care of yourself as best you could especially when you have people depending on you. If it looks like you are doing harm to your body then it might be a good idea to lessen your intake.
  8. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Since you drink quietly at home, looks like like you don't bother anyone else. But you do harm yourself, too much alcohol is bad for your health.
  9. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

It's sad and I understand, I know people who like to drink and it's very difficult to overcome. There are a lot of things that we would like in life but we better not follow that path because there are way more things to like other than that. I would recommend you to find a path or to find something that you like more than drinking, in which you can give up drinking for.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Nothing really wrong with it other than the junk that is in what you are drinking. Maybe some homemade would be better for you. I watched my parents drink cheap beer for years at home. There are so many chemicals in this stuff. Look it up you might think twice before drinking it.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You're not really showing a problem. Unless your drinking is wrecking your life, it's not something to worry about. If you were a alcoholic you wouldn't be drinking on and off. I think when you can't go a day with out drinking that's when your a alcoholic.
  12. mscaver86

mscaver86 Member

I admit I like to drink as well. As I gotten older I slowed down just because I am trying to lead a healthier lifestyle altogether and alcohol has a lot of calories in it! I don't see drinking on the weekends as having a problem as long as you do not get upset when you don't have any and your not spending bill money on it hey who are we to judge! Everybody has their own outlets as long as its not harmful to yourself or others cheers!
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Don't listen to people who claim that drinking (even if is not done in excess) is unacceptable. I truly believe that if you think it's ok, then it's ok. After all you only do it once a week, and have been doing it for a very long time so far you haven't had any trouble. So if you are ok with it and so is your wife, then everything is ok.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I wouldn't consider it a problem. You are not causing anybody any grief. You only do it once a week. I don't see it as a problem even though I see a lot of people do.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Just because nothing bad happens on the outside, it doesn't mean that things are the same on the inside. Alcohol does not only damage your sanity and hurt the people caring about you, but it is very harmful for your body as well. Having a bit of alcohol is fine, but try to limit the amount so you won't get drunk. That's usually the sign that your body cannot take anymore. I appreciate the fact that you do it in the privacy of your house, though.
    deanokat likes this.
  16. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

You are of age and by now you should know what drinking does to you. At least you are not drinking and driving. I think if one doesn't pay attention you can get drunk without trying. Some people do get drunk on purpose and I don't know whether or not you do that. If you have to ask whether or not you have a problem then something about your drinking maybe probing your conscience.
  17. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

You could try what might seem like a really strange experiment: stop drinking for a month, and see how you feel.

What usually happens is that you re-appraise your behaviors in a more sober light, and make adjustments accordingly. I did this and cut my alcohol intake drastically, although others realize how much positive stuff they get from drinking - social life, relaxation etc - and continue as before. Try it, see what happens.
  18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think if you are comfortable with what you are doing and it is not negatively effecting your life I say go for it. The one caveat I have is that alcohol has a lot of calories. Beer is loaded with carbohydrates,,and can lead to weight gain. If that is not a concern for you...do it...Wine (especially red) has more health benefits than beer.
  19. rush

rush Member

By you describing, it sounds pretty normal if it isn't effecting you and love ones around you . I do drink occasionally every fortnight if you get a health problem I do advise to stop
  20. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

If you can handle your drinking habits and keep yourself in check and also be able to finance your drinking its probably not setting of any warning bells. You are in your own home but there are still many factors to take into consideration. It is playing a negative roll in your health as well. I think it is bad habit to get into though but having a drink every now and then is alright just don't make it into a scheduled habit.