An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I love this. (18 Things Mentally Strong People Do)

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Jen S., Oct 26, 2014.

1. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

2. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I like this:).
    Of course there are several that I need to work on since no one is perfect.
    One that I really need to work on is investing my energy into the present. I tend to rehash the past in my mind,
    all the shoulda, coulda, woulda's, only none of that helps the present:).
    I guess that's where the reflecting on progress comes in. I've lost a lot, but I've grown a lot too.
    Jen S. likes this.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I work on all of them, but moving on is my achilles heel. In a lot of situations LOL :)
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

This is interesting. I see some areas that I need to work on as well, such as moving on and keeping control. It takes a lot to get to this point. I am not sure if many people have reached these goals, but many of us are probably a work in progress for most of our lives. All we can do is keep striving and looking forward.
    Jen S. likes this.
  5. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

Great list! Thanks for sharing this. This made me sit back and reflect whether I'm mentally strong or not. I decided that I'm not and I still have a long way to go. I don't do half of the things mentioned above, even if I know I should be doing them. I have to master saying no to the negative voice inside my head that always drags me down.
  6. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Totally love this!!! I know I have problems taking risks and not living in the past. I'm definitely a work in progress. But I feel and see me getting better at this every year.
    Jen S. likes this.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Looking through that list, I realized that I have some failings which must be addressed:

I can't move on easily. I find adapting to changes of any kind to be very difficult. And that's what holds me back most in my life.

Apart from that I suppose [according to the list] I am a mentally strong person. It sure does feel good but I won't let that make me grow complacent. It's easy for a mentally strong person to lose their grip and fall . . .
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I'm glad you guys like this (or at least find it interesting). I think it's important for all of us to keep in mind we're not mentally "weak" for struggling with any (or even all) of the things listed here.

If you're on a daily mission to get to know yourself better and make improvements like I am - know it's a journey. Not a destination.

Some days I nail every single one on the list and feel awesome about it.
    Other days I might fail all of them. It just depends on the circumstances.
    What matters most to me is just being aware and trying. That's all :)
  9. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

Wow. What a great reminder! I think I try to do all of these things, but I know that I don't succeed every day. Putting it in such a positive and powerful list also helps me see where some of my actions and behaviors are fighting against my ability to succeed. It's really helpful there, too. I never like to admit that I have fallen down, or that I feel weak, or that I refuse to move on, but when I remember that we are all striving and that victory comes not in the moment but in the overall process I am no longer hindered by my self pity and inertia. I'm going to print this out and post it on my wall. Thank you for a wonderful inspiration!
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Jen S. likes this.
  10. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

It's on my refrigerator :)
  11. menace

menace Community Moderator

I love this. I'd love to see more of this type of personal development stuff in our community. We don't just need to talk about drugs here at DA.com, do we? :)

Seriously, though. I am liking the Inspiration and Encouragement forum tonight. It's helping focus on forward progress and not dwelling on the past. Thanks everyone!
    Jen S. likes this.
  12. Acube

Acube Member

Very informative and powerful chart. I really agree with all 18 things. However working on these may take some time and assistance from others. This will really help any individual to examine his or her self and make the needed adjustment.Looking for some more quality post like these that can help a person for the better.
  13. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing this! I liked this so much I saved the image on my computer. Have to work on a few of these. I think I still have a long way to go with regards to tolerating discomfort and using my mental energy wisely. I think it's a start that I'm aware of my weak points though.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I like it too as well as the graphics. :D
    Nice that there are some points in there that I could say "that's me" :p
    I need to work on some aspects or areas cause I sometimes can do and sometimes cannot. It is a matter of how to maintain all those.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Mentally strong. Hmmm. Interesting thoughts there. Emotionally we can put on their too. There's a few there that fall more into a different category than mentally strong. Wisdom is in there. I guess some people might be lets say weak in some areas due to lowered rationality or intelligence.
    Thinking productively is a good one. Some people might look at this and associate it with money. I certainly did. However it has to do with so many other things in life. If I am working on something when rationality goes up in other areas of life. I might think of a more efficient way to do something that I'd been doing another way for a long time. Another way would be to take a look at a bigger picture. The greatest good for all. Like what could you do that would benefit all of those who are concerned. Sometimes this gets tagged as being a people pleaser and that its bad. But people should be concerned with other people instead of selfishly. Interesting subject because there is a great number of people who are self absorbed. So when people around you are that way, eventually they can pull you down into their mentality. What's funny about that is then they sit there pointing there finger at you when you weren't like that in the first place.
    "they enjoy their alone time." Lol its funny cause if you are like this and you get with a lonely person its kind of a disaster. Hopefully you grow together. An evolution of personality if you do enjoy your own company. The saying goes how can anyone enjoy your company if you don't enjoy your own company.
    This diagram picture really hits some good points. Browsing it to strengthen the ones that need it would work.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow. That's truly motivational. I think I am going to print out a copy of that infographic, and put it on my desk, so that every time I work, I would be inspired to give all my best.

Thanks for sharing, by the way. Really helpful. :)
  17. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is very interesting! Great words to ponder that we can apply in our everyday life. Thanks for sharing! :)
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think the part about celebrating others success is lovely - and it's something I see happen here on the forum regularly! Everyone is so encouraging of others and about helping one another through our good and bad times which is wonderful!
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I agree with most of it, except with the "willing to fail" part. Seriously, who likes failing and wants to do it as much as possible? I would put "they are fine with failing" instead. We all make mistakes, and it is okay if sometimes things don't go as planned, but that should motivate us to get better and reach our goals.
  20. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Thank you for sharing, @Jen S. I always try to think productively by crossing off items on my mental to-do list each day, in order of priority. I also try to stay happy throughout my day, regardless of what happens. A simple smile can go a long way.

I need to focus more on investing my energy in the present, because I often think back and long for old times and memories that are long gone, while I could be enjoying life in the present. This is something I will continue to work on.