An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I loved my rehab

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by DaniMiranda, Oct 29, 2014.

1. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

That's how I felt about my rehab experience it was pretty okay. I hated being there at first. Once I let myself relax, and get to know the people. I felt at home in fact I was a bit scared to leave. I felt safe there from all the bad, and tempting things that had put me there in the first place.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Let me ask you guys this. Should rehab be comfortable, or should it be difficult and challenging?
    I know a lot of people that have been through rehab and claim that it was "a cake walk" or "real chill" and almost every one of them has relapsed multiple times. I'm not sure which is better, or do you think it does not matter?
  3. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

As much as I want to say "challenging" is better. I don't know if I would want to be somewhere that is too challenging, at least not at first. I would need to get my head into the program BEFORE it became challenging. If it was too hard up front, it may automatically put me off when it comes to really diving into the program and getting the most out of it. Does that make sense to anyone, or just sound lazy of me?

On the flip side, I just see too many people that learn new tricks and tips from rehab. That kind of sucks too.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Sounds like it was a great experience. You don't need a super fancy rehab place -- as long as it has a support network and does make you feel comfortable then I think those are the biggest considerations. The fact that you have such good memories of your rehab experience speaks volumes about the type of environment they have there. I feel like if everyone who went through a rehab program felt that way about their experience, there would be far less chances of relapses occuring.
  5. Faithfulmarie

Faithfulmarie Member

I would think that an important part of rehab is the support that is given in the treatment centres and follow up groups after treatment. Given the nature of the addiction, the rehab could become a place of "safety", and comfort. The support groups, help the transition, back to society.
  6. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

That is amazing! I'm glad that you found hope and happiness now and I hope you continue on a bright path :). This reminds me of when I was tooken away from my addictive mom and put into a foster home. They were really supportive and made me feel welcomed, a welcoming feeling I probably had never felt before. They helped me get over my addiction :).
  7. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think that rehab should be comfortable as it is not a prison or a sentence it is a place to help you solve a problem. It should not be too comfortable but it should feel like a place to feel safe and relaxed enough to open up and get help.
  8. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I find surprising that someone loves the rehab because I tend to see that as a painful process, but eventually some good facilities can make it a great experience. I am glad it worked out well for you!!!
  9. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing you experience. I'm glad you loved your experience. I wish you luck on your new and clean beginning.
  10. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I'm so glad you had a positive experience while you were there but it sounds like you really needed help transitioning and were failed and that makes me so sad. Have you reached out to the rehab to let them know how you felt about that?
  11. sunflogun

That has to be the best part, not the starting days no because those have to be hell, but after we start to feel more normal and to feel life again, that has to be rewarding.
  12. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I am glad for you and happy about your accomplishments. I am glad you had this experience because some would say differently. It is nice to have a place that almost felt like home. I am sure that people feel very displaced.
  13. sunflogun

Having a place where we feel comfortable with ourselves is good, ultimately we will feel like that with everyone and everywhere, but rehab certainly looks like a good place to start a new life.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

That is what many people do not know about rehab. Self motivation and keeping yourself focused will see you through. Now you know what to avoid so that you may not turn back. You also need to encourage your friends who may go through rehab.
  15. sunflogun

We are afraid of the unknown and habits are the hardest to change, so that is why "something" inside of us doesn't want us to change our ways and "tell" us that we should continue. I call it self-deceiving.
  16. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

That sounds like a really awesome experience! Thanks for being brave enough to share your experiences. Rehab encourages people to rehabilitate.

I am glad to know it worked for you as I always recommended rehab to addicts. Good luck to you in the future.
  17. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

Actually rehab not bad like people like to think. I enjoyed my rehab too and I made some good friends which helps to check up on each other to make sure nobody is relapsing.
  18. sunflogun

It's a matter of perspective. It's very painful to start with and hard, eventually at the end we might be changed people, so maybe in that way is can be considered enjoyable.
  19. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Wow! I rarely here of people talk so about rehabs. I'm glad to hear that you loved yours. I wish most people who get admitted to rehabs can have a positive attitude just like you.
  20. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Totally agree. The more we can shift this perception that rehab is somehow the end-point of moral failure, the sooner we can get more people into treatment and hopefully help recover many people's lost lives.