An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I quit being an enabler

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by begintoday, Jan 9, 2017.

1. begintoday

begintoday Member

When the holidays were around I was so focused and concerned about my loved one and allowing them to walk all over me. I allowed them to take the easy way out. I was lost and in denial thinking I couldn’t be an enabler. I love this person and all I wanted to do was help and make sure at the end of the day they were okay. I soon had a reality check when my mothers gold ring went missing. I was devastated and am still so very upset. I allowed a person I love so much take advantage of me. I felt helpless and lost on how to handle my loved ones addiction. I started googling and researching if I actually was an enabler. I never classified myself as one until I came across an article online. It truly opened my eyes to think that I have been enabling my loved one all this time. All this time I thought I was helping but I have been actually killing them slowly. Right now, I can stand with pride to say I have actually helped my love one find treatment. They are 15 days in. I know it is going to be a long and slow road to overcome but I now know I have to stand my ground and be as supportive as possible.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@begintoday... Good for you! When someone we love struggles with addiction, it's sooooo easy to end up enabling them. Most of the time, we end up enabling them and don't even realize it! But with education we can learn what is helping and what is enabling. I'm glad you figured things out.

Thanks for stopping by and posting.
  3. blossompaddok

blossompaddok Member

You have done such a great thing, May God bless you.............
    deanokat likes this.